• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pivot bolt questions

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Should the axle pivot bolts be the same distance from the ground ? I bought my lift used and have the bolts in the top holes of the brackets but the passenger bracket bolt is 1" higher than the drivers side. The passenger is 1" higher than hub center line and drivers side is even with hub center line. Doesn't seem right to me:dunno:

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
mine is 14 3/4" on the drivers side drop bracket to the ground, and 15 1/2" on the passenger side drop bracket to the ground....

all in spec as far as alignment.....

l8r, John

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Skyjacker kit I presume? (edit: just noticed sig, yep)

Yeah that's how they are for some reason. If you're trying to set up your ride height as outlined in the Tech Library, use the bolt for the driverside beam, as it's the lower of the two.

Another option would be to drill another hole right in between the two existing holes on the bracket for the passengerside beam, that would then match it up with the 4" (upper) hole on the other side.

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Skyjacker kit I presume? (edit: just noticed sig, yep)

Yeah that's how they are for some reason. If you're trying to set up your ride height as outlined in the Tech Library, use the bolt for the driverside beam, as it's the lower of the two.

Another option would be to drill another hole right in between the two existing holes on the bracket for the passengerside beam, that would then match it up with the 4" (upper) hole on the other side.
I was measuring everything trying to pick new coil springs , I have the skyjacker 136 springs now which wont let my 33s stuff the fender wells at all. With my james duff long arms and rough country shocks made for a jeep jk I need a coil spring that will go from 20" to 10" and ride at 14-15" . So I found this BDS part# 034652 6.5 spring for a XJ Cherokee wire dia. 0.690
free length 21.75 O.D. 5.4 They said spring rate is 240 but I think that might be low with that wire dia. Now I don't know how many coils it has but I figured I could cut one off to get my 20" I need and raise the spring rate . Then maybe cut off another coil and throw in a spacer to raise the rate some more . That would make the spring rate about 280 if it started with 12 active coils .

Junkie do you think these BDS springs will work and is cutting coils ok if I don't get them hot ?

My truck with the 136 springs with a rate of 435 will go from a free length of 19 to ride length of 15 and stuffed spring length is 13.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm not familiar with the quality of BDS, though the fact they use a drop-plate for their RBV lifts kindof hints at me that they might not be the best.

I've been running Skyjacker's 6" XJ coils (pt#JC60F IIRC) on mine for some years now and they've proven to be very well made (no sagging out over time at all that I can tell). They are 22" free length and sit at just over 16" loaded on my BII (you having a Ranger (little heavier) I'd bet they might be just what you need, though cutting a bit off shouldn't hurt anything other than stiffen them a hair).

I'd have to check their wire thickness again, but for some reason .720" rings a bell.

6" SJ coil on right (next to a POS Rancho 3" coil)

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply. I have called bds and sj . The sj jc60f are 21.75 length 0.656 wire and 230 rate . The bds 034652 are 21.75 length 0.687 wire and 240 rate .

Are there any good links for xj coil installs other than the tech library ? Like what needs to be modified for them to fit .
And I can't seem to find the website to the stonecrusher steering linkage .

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not familiar with the quality of BDS, though the fact they use a drop-plate for their RBV lifts kindof hints at me that they might not be the best.
bargain basement.i've installed lots of them on many different types of truck.the reason most customers specified bds was that they were cheaper than the rest.

fit was usually less than perfect.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
They are offering a no questions asked lifetime warranty now tho...might be a plus.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are offering a no questions asked lifetime warranty now tho...might be a plus.
i've found little problem with them after the install,outside of the finish peeling.but the install can be frustrating.bolt holes often need to be reamed out to get them to match the frame holes,and other frustrating issues when time is of the essence(working on a quote price)

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
From what I've read on the xj forums the BDS springs are among the best . I'm not going to use any of their brackets .

I ordered the BDS springs last night . I would of got the SJ springs but was trying to get a stiffer spring rate .

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sounds encouraging... Hopefully you'll be good to go then.

I just went and measured my SJ XJ coils, my caliper says .658" wire (probably due to the paint on them). I've been told they are 237PPI, though they did seem a slight hair stiffer than my old Rancho ones (claimed to be 240PPI). I suspect there may be a slight bit of variation in some of these figures maybe, though not sure.

Turns out .720 was for their stiff RBV coils lol (actually closer to .716 or so).

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Got the coils today , hope to finish putting them in tomorrow .Did work on the passenger side for awhile .

Here are some measurements .
BDS coil started with 13.5 coils , 12.25 active coils , free length 21.75 , free length with spring pads( isolator and npt plate ) 22.625 . spring rate 240.

Cut 1 coil off 21.5 free with pads , 16.5 with weight of the truck but didn't drive it .

Cut another 1/2 coil off 20.5 free with pads , 14.75 with weight after driving around the block and flexing in the yard . Coil at 12" while flexed was 13 with the sj coils . But that is with the front tire only about 1.5 feet off the ground .

Spring rate should be about 270 now . No more high speed corners :D

Still need to drill the hole in the drop bracket and get some hooks for the top of the coils ( using hose clamps now ) .

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Here are some pics with the bds coils with 1 1/2 coils cut off . And drilled a new hole in the drop bracket .

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice. They seem to have worked out well for ya. Did you hack off a coil or not?

Think you're gonna need that sway bar? Its just sitting in my shed and I have the drop brackets too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals