• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pics of a 4 wheel steer streetable Ranger

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
4700lbs? WTF.....my truck on 35's is at or just above 5k. Damn you and your badass all-wheel steer truck!

-andrew

1wicked88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm still trying to talk my brother into my brother into picking up another front rockwell and doing 4 wheel steer, but that (as I'm sure you know) takes more time/money to do than just a standard drive axle.

robbieo11

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i like the bed got me thinking of more stuff for my project

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
4700lbs? WTF.....my truck on 35's is at or just above 5k. Damn you and your badass all-wheel steer truck!

-andrew
I don't know what scale you used, but I think it might be skewed...
The one I used was at the dump when I went there (on the way out)

My truck, on 33's with steel wheels, and me and my dad in it (180lbs each), and about half a tank of gas, weighed in RIGHT around 4000. I think it might have been 3985 or soemthing if I recall.
And, as you can see in my sig, I'm pretty sure our rigs are very similar option-wise, except for the fact that you have a SAS in the front, correct?

here is a source: http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Ranger-2008/available-trims
Sport 4dr 4x4 Super Cab Styleside 6 ft. box 125.7 in. WB
Horsepower: 207 @ 5,250 rpm
Torque: 238 @ 3,000 rpm
Transmission: 5-spd man w/OD
Curb Weight: 3,606 lbs.
Fuel Type: regular unleaded'

Granted it is a new truck, but that pretty much confirms my numbers. Add 360lbs for people, and half a tank of gas, and you get right around 4000lbs.

And to keep it on topic, that is an awsome truck. It cool to see a bed that is not the standard beds, yet not a flatbed! And it is daimond plate, which makes it even cooler haha. Do you really daily Drive it??? If so, that is some dedication. I am not sure I'd drive that on the street, but that's just me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
outstanding job.

that thing is definatly light...so kudos there for sure. very impressive machine.:icon_thumby:

have you tried to make your own snowchains/paddles yet? i been thinkin of doing that for my 42's cause i was stuck on the lake recently in some slushholes and my diesel wont rev like my small block would to try and hammer out of it. figure some chains and stauns and i could snow wheel and dig in the ice pretty good on a few psi. i am still lockerless with my current axles so i was thinkin chains may be a reletivly cheap way to get me thru the winter, just wondering if there is a preferred setup to make them...material/style wise.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I don't know what scale you used, but I think it might be skewed...
The one I used was at the dump when I went there (on the way out)

My truck, on 33's with steel wheels, and me and my dad in it (180lbs each), and about half a tank of gas, weighed in RIGHT around 4000. I think it might have been 3985 or soemthing if I recall.
And, as you can see in my sig, I'm pretty sure our rigs are very similar option-wise, except for the fact that you have a SAS in the front, correct?

here is a source: http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-Ranger-2008/available-trims
Sport 4dr 4x4 Super Cab Styleside 6 ft. box 125.7 in. WB
Horsepower: 207 @ 5,250 rpm
Torque: 238 @ 3,000 rpm
Transmission: 5-spd man w/OD
Curb Weight: 3,606 lbs.
Fuel Type: regular unleaded'

Granted it is a new truck, but that pretty much confirms my numbers. Add 360lbs for people, and half a tank of gas, and you get right around 4000lbs.

And to keep it on topic, that is an awsome truck. It cool to see a bed that is not the standard beds, yet not a flatbed! And it is daimond plate, which makes it even cooler haha. Do you really daily Drive it??? If so, that is some dedication. I am not sure I'd drive that on the street, but that's just me.

i have alot of sheetmetel cut and rotted away. but i also added some serious driveline mods... on the big tires leaving the yard i am 5400.

stripped naked empty is close to 4700 without the winch. and donut tires.

with fairly stock setup 4200 was my race weight...that was with a ttb 35 and 8.8 still on 30's. cat scales exit 32 at the detroiter.

thats an 88 ext cab ranger which stock was supposed to be 3300 plus. it never weighed 3300:dunno:...the later trucks are heavier and all around better...which weigh 4000 plus with me in em.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking of doing a rear steer 8.8 with D60 outers from a bent axle, but when there's so many 14 bolts lyin around, that might be the way to go eventually.

My other 97', a reg cab long bed base model w/ 4.0L 5 speed weighed right in at 3400lbs. My 00' explorer sport, loaded to the nuts as far as options go was 4200lbs.

-andrew

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
id like to point out the difference between the front and back
the back has hours of custom diamond plate and the front just two pipes.

tubbs

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had the fortunate experience of going to college with Mr. Danger. This truck wasnt his first rodeo by any means. Keep up the good work.

sweetsride

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
do you have any mor info on you doubler?? any pics? your rig is bad ass:headbang:

later
Kris

redneckdanger

Dec 2008 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The scale I used was the scale at a weigh station on the side of the highway. It may have not been very accurate. I think I may try to run it by a local chemical company scale that is pretty accurate. I did remove the jump seats out of the rear and probably lost eighty pounds. I do drive it around quite a bit when I have the 35's on it and why not? It is fun to drive and it beats putting miles on my 03' powdersmoke. For the dual t-case setup
I took a stock ranger t-case and disassembled it and cut the front output part of the case off in a band saw. I then welded a aluminum plate over the hole and installed the planetary set. That box became the range box. I then built a crossmember/support to bolt the NP205 to. I made an adapter shaft out of an E40D tailshaft and a yoke flange off of a stock ranger rear pinion. I haven't done the calculation on the reduction, but it is okay. It is not an atlas or 203/205 setup, but it works and it was cheap to build. I will try to get some pics and post them.

74bronco2

January 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
2012 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
yah right

Bandsaw:icon_confused:

Rangerman87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'88,'11
Make / Model
ford,mitsubishi
Engine Size
2.9,2.0L turbo
Transmission
Manual
:icon_welder:My pickup cab and frame are from an 87' model. I put a 90' 4.0L, harness, and dash in the chassis. It is setting on full-size steerable Dana 44's with CTM joints and superior shafts. The axles have an ARB in the rear and a elec-junk in the front. I built the steering cylinder and support for the rear steer. The rear steer in independent from the front, so when I drive it around town the rear is disabled. It is sitting on custom five link (four link with track bar) on both ends supported by 14.5" travel air bags that are controlled from inside of cab. It is equipped with an engine driven compressor and warn winches front and rear. I built a dual t-case set up using the ranger t-case planetary for the first gear reduction and a NP205 for the transfer case. It's feet are 39.5 boggers on inner and outter beadlock wheels that I built to keep beads on at 1/2 lb of pressure for snow wheeling. The bed is setup with an in deck tool box on each side and a compartment that hides a 36" spare. It scored a 980 out of 1000 on a 30 degree ramp at a local four wheeler get together here in town, but it still drives on the streets fairly stable.

Bitchin':headbang: truck,same year and style as mine just BIGGER!

crazy2.9l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 (2)
Make / Model
Ford all ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow very nice rig dude, has to be one of the best rangers ive seen around here in a long time. Im in the middle of a dana 44 swap in my 86 with leafs and i thought that was alot of work.

rangernut09011980

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
7.3 diesel
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
Tire Size
315 75 16
I WANT PARTS SUPPLIERS

would love to build something like that for myself for running thru the mud and snow

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals