• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Picked up an 88' STX....

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I just picked this one up.....its about time I got something with some 4x4 capabilities.... Its also a High Rider.... extended cab which is really nice but I do hate the looks of it... The body is decent...interior is red, ew. Paint will surely polish up. These are pics taken today tomorrow morning shes coming home!

The 2.9 needs heads. Funny story, I almost bought a BII a few months ago. The body was too rough but the 2.9 ran Great. The guy called me and told me i could have the thing minus tires for $250. I nearly fell over at the timing... so I got a good motor for this truck already, as well as a plethora of other parts for $250.....and being that I paid $400 for the truck and a spare Trans and ECU, its needless to say I made out I think....

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
where in nj are you?

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Bayville, its right outside of Toms River and north of Lacey Township and Waretown. Exit 77.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Bayville, its right outside of Toms River and north of Lacey Township and Waretown. Exit 77.
im by manasquan. your lucky to find a stx with the emblems. i have my no emblem or decal one:annoyed:
looks beutiful for the year though, hardly any rust

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I know Manasquan. I know I saw it still had the emblems and nearly fell over. The paint is all original, is why. All it needs is a good cleaning and some wax. High Rider is what really gets me excited! Other than not having to paint it!!!! The wheelwell will be repaired as well.

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
so, whats your plans?

and how did you get the truck so cheap?

Last edited:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, tomorrow, getting her home. Hardcore cleaning and detail. Inventory on what she needs. Then its really just getting it all done. Clearing a spot in the garage for when I get my parts BII with the great motor. Pulling that motor, degreasing it and meticulously going over it. Painting it and installing it into the STX. Assemble other random interior pieces best of the best out of the bronco, and a trip to Virginia to get whatever else she needs (there are no good or fair u- pulls around here) . Then shes on the road. From there unknown. I have no desire to get rid of my 89'. She means too much. But I am def going to do some trailriding...

***well, she has bad heads, it doesnt go into the oil so its good to drive home. The other guy drove it 60 miles to work every day for a month. Thats why. Its not worth much needing work like that. I am forgoing the whole replacement heads for fear of blowby with newer heads and cant afford a rebuild. Thats why I am putting the other 2.9 in.

Say wreckingcrew, where do you go for parts here? Junkyard wise?

Last edited:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well, drove her for an hour and a half to home, she made the trip, which was good. Rode very very well and was so glad to discover the posi still worked (the roads were really wet, in a traffic circle, someguy tried to pull out ahead of me) even though not being used to it all i did was slide a foot or two...lol. The paint is coming back to life with some compound, and i am very glad to say she does not need paint. The interior is also cleaning up pretty well. The parts Bronco II has everything it needs, for the most part. It will be so nice to just assemble the motor with the best trans and transfercase. I have of the two. I have never seen a truck so rust free of this vintage. No mud underneath, no rust on the fire wall or doors even along the bottom. The interior does not even leak a drop in the heavy rain. its all really just general clean up and after the Bronco surrenders its engine and trans and transfer case, its jsut a matter of putting her all together. I will take better pics tomorrow, and of the whole process. Plan to have her done within a month and a half in my spare time... Can someone tell me how the 4x4 light works to the dash, it does not turn on and the bulbs are good. Same with the antilock, all of the warning lights I thought they came on when your cycle the ignition, I only get check engine and oil.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I vacuumed it real good inside, and took the interior out, scrubbed it, and replaced it covered in Black magic. The jump seats are pristine, the power lumbar works perfect on the pass. seat, and the hose is cracked for the drivers side. I am getting a parts truck as I said before and am going to take the carpet and the dashpad, which is a lot better than mine out of her. I also picked up the turtle wax color restore, and some new wax,and it brought the red back to life! I only managed to get one fender done. Pics will come soon! I cant wait to get this bronco home, get the motor out and done up for the Ranger.

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Can you believe how well the paint is buffing out?

nate09

Reaction score
paints coming along nicely. wish my truck had a manual t-case. any plans for a lift or beefer tires?

scott5640

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
wow...im located in eatontown lol

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cleaned up really nice i hope you change that interior color. i cant stand red lol

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice find... and great job she looks beautiful... Yea i changed my entire red interior... it was just too much for me... i felt the world around me was bleeding to death? haha jk but the paint looks good! what are you using?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals