• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overflow, Overflowing

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright... I have a Griffin 19x24x3 Radiator, electric fan... My engine runs from 150 to about 165(bad day). When I drive it normal... not taking it over a 1/4 throttle its fine. If I dump on it as soon as i let off of it like half the coolent in the radiator pours into the overflow, and overflows it all over my engine bay... wasnt a happy camper when it happened today. So I let it cool down added more coolant and drained the overflow and tried it again... same thing. It wont do it if im in the garage just dumping on it... only when im driving it and its under load. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? or more details anyone needs

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How big of hose do you have running to your over flow tank? :huh:

How old is your radiator cap?

I am also curious on why you run your engine at 165 degrees..

Pete

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Radiator cap is brand new stant with that red pressure release lever. The hose is 1/4 or 3/8 inside diameter, ill measure it tomorrow i forget. Truck doesnt get any hotter then that? is that a bad thing

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The Radiator cap is brand new stant with that red pressure release lever. The hose is 1/4 or 3/8 inside diameter, ill measure it tomorrow i forget. Truck doesnt get any hotter then that? is that a bad thing
I was being sarcastic about the line size, half of the coolant in your radiator is a lot of coolant to displace.

Sound like a bunch of pressure is building in the system and causing the cap allow coolant back into the overflow tank.

Running it warmer will evaporate moisture better (help w/ preventing sludge).

Edit: And you are running an aftermarket temperature sensor?

Pete

Last edited:

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah its aftermarket, its around 2 weeks old... what thermostat do you think i should get... like a 190?

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Whats the pressure of your cap though like 16 pound or what? if its like a 6 pound cap it will blow water out (just a thought)

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
in a nice small block i would run a good 180 thermo, itll get warm enough fo u to get heat, and itll not be running cold all the time which = better power/mileage

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
in a nice small block i would run a good 180 thermo, itll get warm enough fo u to get heat, and itll not be running cold all the time which = better power/mileage
+1. small blocks like to run @180-190@13-18lbs pressure, at least that is what my camaro likes. as for the coolant surge if you put too much coolant in radiator it will try to blow excess out. on mine, my fill cap is on the passenger side of core and when i fill mine, i bring vehicle up to opperating temp and then i put enough coolant in so that at idle i can see at least four of the cross tubes[ if yours has the coil looking deal in your radiator, internal tranny cooler i think ] it will cover the coil tube in center of core,and when you mash on the throttle it should drop @3-4 inches as your water pump increases pressure and flow

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I just got a new radiator cap today... so im guna see if the old one was just a piece of trash tomorrow. Was guna drive it but couldnt cause i had to put on new mufflers. I orignally bought those flowtech afterburners WOW they sound terrible, worst then a stock mustang. So i just got my flowmaster 1 chambers... now it sounds good have to finish clamping them up

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I put my new radiator cap on today... no luck blew out just like before... im starting to think i have a cracked head or bad headgasket or something.... im guna do a leakdown test on it soon

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals