• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OPINIONS ON HOW TO GET THE FRONT LEVEL. also will the front and rear hold up to a small v8 with a mild cam.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Currently have 15 inch rims on the 90 ranger. But while the 99 ranger is down. Was wondering if the 16s on it would swap over? Also wondering if this would affect the TTB Front end negatively
How far can you crank a torsion bar

Attachments

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I believe those will bolt up just fine. Some of the later Ranger wheels had smaller center holes that would not fit over your front hubs. But the wheels in your picture should be good. Google tire size calculator to make sure your tires are the same diameter, otherwise if they are too large they will rub.

AJ

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The wheels will fit if you put a smaller tire on them. It's called "plus sizing" the tires. I guess you know the TTB didn't have torsion bars? Or was that question about the other truck?

You can't raise the ttb much over a 1 inch before the guy at the alignment shop can't get it back in. Any change in height will require an alignment or the front tires are going to wear unevenly.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
The wheels will fit if you put a smaller tire on them. It's called "plus sizing" the tires. I guess you know the TTB didn't have torsion bars? Or was that question about the other truck?

You can't raise the ttb much over a 1 inch before the guy at the alignment shop can't get it back in. Any change in height will require an alignment or the front tires are going to wear unevenly.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Yes sir. The torsion question was a secondary thought pertaining to the 99. As for the 90 model. Looking at the shock In the picture, looks like it might be moving about 2 inches

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Since the TTB Is so problemsome , woul I be better off putting a different front end under it? If so what is recommended for driving daily, short runs. And go off-road basically whenever I please. Mainly rutty roads,hills and we have lots of low wet lands

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
only time it ever got stuck was when I got drunk and slid down the pond levee. Actually drove 95 percent of the way out before I dug down in sand

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since the TTB Is so problemsome , woul I be better off putting a different front end under it? If so what is recommended for driving daily, short runs. And go off-road basically whenever I please. Mainly rutty roads,hills and we have lots of low wet lands
The biggest problem with TTB is getting someone who knows how to align one and work on them. If you are going to go through the trouble of swapping the front suspension, a solid axle swap might worth considering. It would probably less work than trying to get a torsion bar system to work properly on a frame that wasn't designed for it.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If considering a lift, it might be worth while to read through the tech library before jumping straight to a SAS. Wou wouldn't need very much to clear the tires from the newer truck and a 31 (I think that's what the larger tires size is) is a fairly large tire for a first gen Ranger.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A solid axle is the only better option then then TTB....and honestly its not really a big enough advantange to swap....unless youre planning on a big lift.

Anything else is a step down in durabilty and general off road worthyness.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
2" is the max I'd recommend for cranking up the torsion bars. More than that and it puts too much strain on the CV joints and upper ball joints. What you are really doing is adjusting the suspension downward.

Bear in the woods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/1999
Make / Model
Ford ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9 in 90 , 4.0 in 99
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
30”
Appreciate the information from all. And only wanting the front fairly close to rear in height. Rear has 4 inch lift if I’m not mistaken.. I’m thinking 2 maybe 3 inch up front.
I do however know a good alignment guy. Probably need to let him check to see if he understands how it operates before lifting.
Really would love to see her sitting on 32 inch buckshots and a small carbureted V8 And 5 speed manual. But I’m planning on trying a few things to increase the oil to the top end of the 2.9, it has plenty of power as long as you can keep the lifters in oil. Anything over 55 mph for very long and I loose lifters. After research I have learned that it’s going to be clogged push rods. So new lifters and going to drill the oil holes on push rods and rockers. And buff and hone the rocker assemblies. May even try the solid assembly instead of springs

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Appreciate the information from all. And only wanting the front fairly close to rear in height. Rear has 4 inch lift if I’m not mistaken.. I’m thinking 2 maybe 3 inch up front.
I do however know a good alignment guy. Probably need to let him check to see if he understands how it operates before lifting.
Really would love to see her sitting on 32 inch buckshots and a small carbureted V8 And 5 speed manual. But I’m planning on trying a few things to increase the oil to the top end of the 2.9, it has plenty of power as long as you can keep the lifters in oil. Anything over 55 mph for very long and I loose lifters. After research I have learned that it’s going to be clogged push rods. So new lifters and going to drill the oil holes on push rods and rockers. And buff and hone the rocker assemblies. May even try the solid assembly instead of springs
You might want to check to see if your engine is one of the ones that had a bunch of casting material left in the passages. I forget the whole story behind it but there was a strike at one point and some of the engine pieces weren't properly cleaned before they were moved to the next step in the manufacturing process.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I highly, HIGHLY, doubt that rear has a 4" lift. Post up some pictures of the rear suspension and these guys can tell you a lot.

From the way that the truck sits in those pictures, I think you have stock suspension front and rear, but the front has sagged a bit more than the rear. To my knowledge all 4x4 Rangers came from the factory with around a 2" lift block on the rear axle. Like most trucks of the time they were built with the back end higher to level out when loaded.

I think a 2" leveling kit would put you close with a slight rake. A 2" leveling kit plus new coil springs would probably actually hit level once they settle.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your alignment guy is going to say "no way" if you are going to do a spring only lift on a ttb. 1.5 inches maybe, 2 inches will be borderline. If your rear is that high, you need to go ahead and get a lift kit with the brackets and the pitman arm. He could get it in then.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals