• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old vs. New... our 1992 Explorer and 2002 Explorer

jg09

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991, 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After having both a 92 Explorer and an 02 Explorer, I've come to an interesting conclusion. Newer is NOT better. My opinions:

1992 Ford Explorer 4x4

Pros
-fuel economy (for an SUV)
-interior room
-ruggedness
-comfort

Cons
-tipsy without anti-sway bars installed

My '92 is the work and play truck. Shortly after I bought it, it began to look like it would be sentenced to a life of hard labor. It lived out in the woods, only getting to see civilization when civilization had to go out and get firewood. However, when I got rid of my old BMW, the Explorer became my daily driver, and that's when the love affair started. At the local off roading area, that truck would go where ever I wanted it to with the right driving. It was perfect for my skill level and the difficulty of the terrain I took it over. Eventually, I removed the anti-sway bars, which made a HUGE difference and made the rig even more fun to take down to the river, or out to the camp site. All the seats were super comfortable, and no matter where you were in the truck, you had plenty of room for your head, knees, and shoulders. Even at 6'3", I couldn't reach the pedals when the driver seat was pushed all the way back. It was an awesome truck and it was a sad day when the transmission blew up and it had to get parked. And in came the '02.

2002 Ford Explorer V8 4x4

Pros
-well laid out audio/HVAC controls
-rear seats easier to mount child seat in
-Sound system is much better

Cons
-passenger area seems a bit cramped
-Everything seems "fragile"
-Unreliable

The '02 came after the 92's tranny death. In theory, if the original Explorer was so great, than a newer Explorer would be more refined and improved upon, right? not really, actually. The first thing you notice is how soft the front suspension is. Granted, I've been used to a TTB equipped Explorer, but the front suspension just seems overly soft to me. The shocks and springs are in good shape, it's just the way it came from the factory. It also feels like you have less room, no matter where you're sitting in the truck. And whenever I get in or get out, or whenever it's going over a bumpy road, it feels like it's going to break something. it probably won't, but it feels like somethings is gonna give out. Over the course of 8 months or so, it's puked 3 spark plugs. That gets pricey to fix. Fortunately, it's not all bad. The interior does look pretty professional and is well laid out, with all the major controls within easy reach. I could be imagining this, but it seems like the back seats of the 02 are also easier to mount car seats in. It could be because of the angle, or the increased "butt dip" in them, but it just seems like they slide around less in the 02.

Overall, the '92 and the '02 are good rigs, but ultimately, I like the '92 better. In fact, the '02 is soon to go, most likely being replaced by something smaller. I was very surprised by how I ended up feeling toward the rigs. The '02 is a very attractive rig, and i thought i always wanted one. Fortunately, it was purchased by my cousin (whom I live with), so I didn't put my $8500 into it. If I had that much money right now to dump into a rig, I'd probably just use half of it on the '92 and have an even better vehicle than before.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah.. well a few things. The old exploder is meant exactly for what you use it for where as the new one was made for the modern mom who drives her kids... wait just her scrwny little 100lb 5'2" body around the city. They weren't designed with the intent that someone might take it off road because for the most part nobody does.

The reliability is all to do with new computer stuff... probably and they have had problems with heads... IDK

I prefer older stuff too, more solid and reliable or atleast I have a better chance of figuring out whats wrong and being able to do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals