• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Obama wants to go to Mars...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Not every pebble on the beach is a diamond, but on some beaches enough are that the beaches have armed guards preventing you from looking for yourself

but you've gotta go look....

and finding ONE, makes it worth the trip regardless of the cost of that trip.

the closest passing objects that have potential to being "Stolen: are
Toutatis, 99942 Apophis, Cruithne the beauty is that these come to us.

But there's one already more or less, well, nt exactly in orbit it wouldn't take much to put it into orbit, 3753 Cruithne. all we'd need to do is move it a little... (slowing it slightly and changing it's axial tilt.) basically more stabilizing it's orbit more than actually changing it.

a tiny push over a long period of time... say a solar array about the size of a football field and a small ion engine....

AD

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Even finding a small sized asteroid with a large Iridium content would be a massive find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium

We don't use Iridium on any sort of large scale. Its too rare on earth. If we could find a large Iridium asteroid we could quite effectively replace any wear components with Iridium ones.

Of course I don't think the mass manufacturing people would like that idea too much.

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Space travel is not about "getting there" right now. It is about learning how humans will survive in space. It is about learning what we will need for such journeys. It is about striving for an "eventual" goal to expand beyond our current level of knowledge and technology. You guys are right. We don't have the ability to travel long distances in space... YET. The more time we spend out there asking and answering questions as to how we will do it, the faster technology will catch up. Every time we have set such lofty goals, technology has taken an explosive leap forward.

I have always been of the belief we are capable of doing whatever we set our minds to. If we can imagine it, I believe we will eventually figure out how to do it. What seems like science fiction now may be tomorrows reality simply because someone thought it up and started asking questions.

Just in my lifetime I have seen so many advances that were just fiction when I was young. I remember having to wind my watch. I remember the first hand held calculators, and trust me, they were a far cry from the things we have now. I remember the first ball point pens! I remember 78'S!!!! They were old when I was young but they were still making 45's and 33''s. Reel to reel tapes were high tech! Cd's were just science fiction then and the first desk top computers were still science fiction.

Point is, you can't wait until the technology is available to start exploring and asking questions. You explore and ask questions until the right questions are asked and technology catches up. No one will expend large sums of money and time on questions that are not important. We must make those questions important and make sure industry can make a living trying to answer them.

We NEED to be in space.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The more time we spend out there asking and answering questions as to how we will do it, the faster technology will catch up. Every time we have set such lofty goals, technology has taken an explosive leap forward.
And that explosive leap forward in technology is one of the KEY elements in being able to fix the economic situation the world is in now. Much like the computer/internet boom of the 90's. Without a drastic, new invention, etc.. we will languish for a long time. Currently there is little room for economic growth.

We boomed with territorial expansion and resource utilization.We boomed with oil and the internal combustion engine. We boomed with the age of computers. Next up is.....?????????

Go Mars go!

Or we can sit here and waste the cash on allowing people to get away with not being responsible for themselves. Something about fishing comes to mind??

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Success is almost always attributed to cutting edge. Lose your edge and you are done.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It's the exploring that creates the technology.

things that SEEMED difficult or even impossible in the 60's or 70's
is now so trivial as to be beneath notice unless you actually take the
time to stop, look and think...

Just laying here on my desk (ignoring my Desktop & laptop computers)
are TWO cell phones, each far more poweful devices that Captain Kirk's
communicator and several "thumb drives" the smallest of which holds 2gb of data...

2gb of data is an HOUR of DVD quality video or a DAY worth of audio
or the bible... several times, as text.

an AMAZING capability, even if you dont consider that ~90% of the bulk of
a thumb drive is to make it easier to handle with clumsy fingers and most
of the remaining 10% is the connector.

The data chip is 1/4 the size of a postage stamp and no thicker than a piece or matchbook cover.

Talk about that in the 1960's, 70's or even the early 80's
and you'd find yourself in a padded room so fast
that the thorazine would wear off before your asshole caught up to you.

I just bought a 640gb hard drive... for $65 and that included the shipping...

and 1 terabite drives are common... I was just looking at a 2tb drive (a Western Digital "Green") for $149 and they offer free shipping...

have you really stopped to think how amazing all that is?

Wanna REALLY see things MOVE?

AD

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At the risk of not only stating the obvious, but also sounding like a prognosticating blowhard… I’d say that developers with a skill-set that only involves programming to a spec should worry about being automated out of their jobs. This has happened countless times through our history of near-continuous economic revolution and there’s no reason to believe that it can’t happen with software. (that was the blowhard part) The frameworks we code against have increased in sophistication and utility a tremendous amount over the last decade, and the previous decade for that matter, though it seems to be accelerating. What was once many lines of code is now few and I expect this trend will continue. Add to that the coming (this is the prognosticating bit) rise of domain specific languages and you can see that the design and the code will be converging and folks who make their living off the current delta are going to feel the squeeze.

The guy who wrote that is one of the guys that will get you new technologies. The text above is his typical day to day language. And he didn't learn his shit from the Discovery Channel or Wikipedia. Smarter than the rest of us combined, he is not a programmer. He invents NEW ideas, processes and programs. HE is the type of individual that NASA and this Government funds to get to Mars. Hell, who cares if the next ten missions explode before reaching orbit. The money funding the research is whats important. Same with military research and development. It employs very intelligent people keeping us on the cutting edge, instead of supporting some fat ass with twelve kids, no education, no job and no future.

One of his Patents: (His expertise is in development of artificial intelligence. Your "talking computers.") THIS is your Mars money.
Prescriptive architecture for application development description/claims

Brief Patent Description

TECHNICAL FIELD

[0001] The described technology is directed generally to application development and, more particularly, to an architecture for application development.

BACKGROUND

[0002] There is a current trend in software design toward modeling and delivering software logic and applications as services. With the growth of the Internet, and in particular, the maturing of the World Wide Web ("Web"), application developers are increasingly delivering these services as Web services.

[0003] As an example, an application developer may need to write some business logic and may want to package up the business logic in a way to expose it as a Web service. Typically, the developer will have to define an interface with the necessary input data, and will also have to define the output. The developer then writes the business logic that does some amount of work using the designed input and which creates the output. In addition to writing the business logic, the developer will also have to write logic for ancillary requirements to the business logic, such as auditing, security, error handling, caching, etc.

[0004] For example, the service may need to cache the output value. In order to properly incorporate this feature into the service, the developer will have to (1) check the value of the outputs, (2) create a kind of key based on those values, (3) match the key with a possible value in the cache and return the value if there is a match, otherwise proceed to the service logic to create the output value, and (4) add it to the cache before returning it back to the caller. The developer will need to design and implement other attributes of the cache, such as a strategy for expiring an item in the cache, a strategy for notification in the instance an item in the cache is expired, etc.

[0005] The developer will need to perform a similar task for each of the ancillary requirements. Additionally, because Web services typically communicate over a network, the developer will need to design and code the communication infrastructure for the service. Developing and delivering a large number of services in this manner can get tedious, especially given the fact that the ancillary requirements and the communication infrastructure do not contribute to the business logic. Further, the cost and complexity of implementing the Web services is increasingly becoming prohibitive, particularly for small to medium sized organizations.

[0006] One reason for this is that while the business logic generally does not change, the underlying and ancillary technologies are very likely to change over time. Presently, numerous standards that address various aspects of Web services are evolving and/or being developed. Because the Web services typically include the ancillary logic, the Web services and, particularly, the ancillary logic will have to be modified and enhanced as these standards evolve and develop in order to take advantage of the standards.

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS

[0007] FIG. 1 is a block diagram illustrating selected components typically incorporated in at least some computer systems on which a facility describe below executes.

[0008] FIG. 2 is a high-level block diagram showing an environment in which components generated by the facility operate.

[0009] FIG. 3 is a block diagram illustrating selected components of the facility, according to one embodiment.

[0010] FIG. 4 illustrates a flow chart of a method by which a service developer utilizes the facility to develop and deploy a service, according to some embodiments.

[0011] FIG. 5 illustrates an example code snippet of a calculator application containing service deployment metadata.

[0012] FIG. 6 illustrates the example code snippet of FIG. 5 further containing an aspect container attribute.

[0013] FIG. 7 illustrates an example code snippet illustrating both a class level and a method level aspect container deployment.

[0014] FIG. 8 illustrates a flow chart of a method by which the facility compiles the intermediary language assemblies, according to some embodiments.

[0015] FIG. 9 is a block diagram illustrating an example aspect container.

[0016] FIG. 10 is a display diagram showing a portion of an example graphical user interface suitable for configuring and administering frameworks, aspects, and aspect containers.

[0017] FIG. 11 illustrates a flow chart of a method by which the facility generates an aspect container at runtime, according to some embodiments.

[0018] FIG. 12 is a block diagram illustrating aspect containers attached to both a sender and a receiver, according to one embodiment.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

[0019] The invention will now be described with respect to various embodiments.

[0020] The following description provides specific details for a thorough understanding of, and enabling description for, these embodiments of the invention. However, one skilled in the art will understand that the invention may be practiced without these details. In other instances, well-known structures and functions have not been shown or described in detail to avoid unnecessarily obscuring the description of the embodiments of the invention.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals