• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

not getting fuel. 88 2.9v6

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
i put my truck in a ditch last night and now im not getting fuel. i tried resetting the inertia switch. no fuel lines are broken or smashed. now when i turn the key forward i dont hear the fuel pump. i bled the pressure at the rail and its not building pressure. i put a new in tank fuel pump in her a few months back. i assume that its a wiring issue but is there anything you guys can think of before i pull the tank and check the wiring?

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Before dropping the tank, do a "wiggle" test on the wiring going to the fuel pump. I've got just enough room on the 87' to put my left hand on top of the tank from underneath. Feel around up there. Check if the plug just came undone. You might get lucky.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also check the connector at your neutral start switch, we had it come unplugged on our Explorer and it was a baffling problem for awhile... it looked like it was plugged in.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
Before dropping the tank, do a "wiggle" test on the wiring going to the fuel pump. I've got just enough room on the 87' to put my left hand on top of the tank from underneath. Feel around up there. Check if the plug just came undone. You might get lucky.
my hand is too fat to fit above the tank.

Also check the connector at your neutral start switch, we had it come unplugged on our Explorer and it was a baffling problem for awhile... it looked like it was plugged in.
thanks ill check that. it does try real damn hard to start, it cranks hard.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
update. i wriggled my fat hand up there and the pump is still plugged in well

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There's a real small connector on the drivers side that connects to the fuel pump; look to see what color it is to the high pressure pump, then look down near the exhaust/frame for a small plug that you can test with. You can apply 12 volts directly to you pumps here to see if the problem is upstream. Or use a test light to check that it's getting 12 volts.

But I would bet it's your inertia switch gone bad. I would find a way to bypass to test.

Also a pin on the diagnostic connector to "override" the computer's ground that actually turns on the fuel pump relay (you ground it). I have a post somewhere in the 2.9L section that has what you should see voltage wise at the fuel pump relay connector, but I am too lazy to dig it up.

Is your computer coming on?

I know yellow is fused battery power (hot always); red/..(lg?) turns on when ecc relay turns on. Can't remember the others, green/? ground - tan/lb (or was it lg)?

Last edited:

jhammel85

^ Just like he said!

Try the FP relay under the hood too. Make sure there is power leaving it when you turn the key on. if you've got power then probe for power on a wire going to the pump and do what Pete said..

The ditch may or may not be related to whats going on but at least this is a start.

Last edited:

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
figured it out. it was the relay but the relay still ticked when turn the key so i assumed it was good. just goes to show that the simpliest solution is usually the right one. the goddamn relay is 47.99 at autozone so i think a jumper wire with a toggle switch may be in her near future.

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hold steady. If the relay is clicking it is working unless it has an internal crack. The problem may be at the connecter. Clean the connector and apply some dielectric grease.
If you find that the relay in fact requires replacement, Advance Auto Parts has it for $10.50 it is part number R647.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check for power at the HP rail pump. It lives behind a plate on the inside of the frame rail just about right below the driver's seat.

It shares a common power supply with your tank pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals