• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

new head unit advice

Sigpros

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Helping my son get his first truck around and needing to upgrade the head unit. looking for blue tooth and apple car play and touch screen. Ability to add a back up camera would be nice. Also might as well put some new speakers in. I don't have much experience doing this stuff so not sure what is a quality unit. We were watching some youtube on Alpine's and they looked pretty good. Can't remember the model but the guy said it was around $299

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You should be good as long as you stay away from the Walmart stuff.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve always been a fan of Pioneer but I’ve also heard recently that their quality isn’t what it used to be. It’s been probably 8 years since I last bought one of theirs though. Alpine is a good brand too, been around a long time. Boss seems acceptable, I have a Boss touch screen in my green Ranger, previous owner put it in, it’s not super nice, but it works. Just threw a Boss “media player” in my Choptop, it’s just radio, Bluetooth, Aux and USB, but at $65 was perfect for that beast, I have a USB in it with over 500 songs and it picks up the radio stations pretty good, the old radio (when it worked) struggled to pull in the one Ohio station, but this pulls it in clear as a bell.

I would suggest looking at Crutchfield, they can usually supply you with a plug and play harness and stuff. Very good support too. If you’re not comfortable with wiring, that’s the way to do it. Well, I’m comfortable with wiring and I still have gone that way.

Speakers I’d recommend 2-way or 3-way, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine…

Stay away from Sony.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I like the Pioneer I put in the Fun50. Now I need to save up and shop for a system for the F250. It doesn’t even have rear speakers yet. But the wires are there.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Alpine is a good brand. I've got a Pioneer bluetooth head unit in my Explorer and a Kenwood one in my wife's '95. Sony bluetooth h/u in the stepside truck, Dual brand cheapos in the others. Very happy with the Sony & Kenwood, the Pioneer is pretty mediocre. Dual ones are total junk. One died prematurely and the other two pick up interference off stuff. I bought them all at Walmart but really they sell the same stuff everyone else does. JVC has been pretty good for me in the past too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals