• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New aftermarket radio keeps losing clock and date, but retains other settings.

billfrank85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
01 Ranger XLT extended cab.

The stock system consisted of a factory CD player and four speakers. Two in the door and two behind speaker covers in the extended cab.

I replaced all of the speakers and replaced the head unit with a Kenwood unit via Crutchfield. I paid extra for their ReadyHarness option, so they spliced the wiring and made it nice and clean.

I receive power and all four speakers work.

Sometimes when starting the truck, the head unit boots into STANDBY mode and the clock/date is reset. However, all of my radio presets are still saved and all of my EQ and other settings are still intact.

I have a brand new battery and brand new alternator. 12.6 at the battery and 14+ volts when charging.

It is worth noting that the old factory radio was completely dead AFAIK. I seem to have no problems getting 12v constant and switched.

Upon looking at the wiring diagram, it seems I have a HOT IN START (red/black) HOT AT ALL TIMES (light green/violet) and HOT IN RUN OR ACC (yellow/black). One thought is that the harness may be wired incorrectly, but if that were the case, I figure I would lose all settings and not just date/time. Plus I know they do hundreds of Ranger wiring harnesses so who knows. The Time Sync option is disabled on the radio, which is what most people online say to check.

Another thing on my list of things to check are the fuses. The battery cables are nice and tight, although I wouldn't mind replacing/upgrading them at some point.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the starter is pulling too many amps and causing voltage to dip down enough to mess with the radio. (This was another thing that was mentioned when researching). It's the original starter with 232k miles and it's pretty oily and grimy.

I am open to any other suggestions or things to check. Thanks in advance!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
As to not losing all settings - a lot of the newer radios actually save those in non volatile memory so they survive a full power loss.

Have you used a meter to test the constant power and accessory power at the connection to the radio? That would be the quick way to confirm everything's wired correctly.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It does sound like you're getting enough of a voltage drop on the constant power that it's affecting the radio clock memory.

I know that Crutchfield used to have very good customer tech support. I would try contacting them for their thoughts, or advice.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It does sound like you're getting enough of a voltage drop on the constant power that it's affecting the radio clock memory.

I know that Crutchfield used to have very good customer tech support. I would try contacting them for their thoughts, or advice.
They're still great. I'm in the middle of an install on the Crosstour and ran into a couple of obscure questions. Both times I was able to get them in an online chat within a minute or so and they worked hard to get me the detailed info I needed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the tech library there is a Radio wiring diagrams section, here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-radio-wiring-diagrams/

2001 seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/2001_Ranger_Radio_Wiring.pdf

Ford Rangers usually have 3 12v wires(4 if separate amplifier)

"Hot in Start" 12v wire is to MUTE the radio when starting the engine, a safety thing
For 3rd party radios you just tape off this wire
DO NOT splice it together with other 12volt wires or STARTER will activate with Key on, lol

"Hot at all times", this is the memory 12v wire, most 3rd party radios need this full time 12v to hold clock and sometimes pre-sets
This fuse is also used by computer and keyless entry in most years

"Hot in Run or ACC", this is the key on 12v wire that activates the radio for listening

There is also a blue/red wire from the dimmer, only had voltage with lights on, for back lights at night

Last edited:

billfrank85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am getting 12v constant and 12v switched on the appropriate wires, the wiring harness was not spliced with the black and red wire, it's not in use at all.

Crutchfield tech support said to fully reset the unit, which I have, and to make sure I am getting 12v through the harness and to the radio, which I am on constant and switched wires.

I went out and started the truck 2 other times this morning and the head unit didn't reset either time. It seems to be really intermittent which is confusing. All the radio fuses in the driver's side panel were good.

I really am wondering if my starter is pulling more than it should sometimes with its age and is causing radio issues.

On a side note, is there anyone who makes "Big 3" kits for our trucks?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be a battery cable end at the battery, that could cause temp voltage drop low enough to cause radio clock to reset

I just get stock battery cables if available

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals