• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need user title suggestions

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
Hmmmm... I'm doomed.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
How about almostclueless? :icon_rofl:

bdeuce

Reaction score
Post counts are gay!! I don't see the point of them and why some people put such stock in them or get this "I've got a higher post count than you" attitude.
:agree::agree::agree:

i don't think we need post counts. maybe a member since: would be better. i do like the rep power thing, i think that would be more useful. what do we really need post counts for anyway (no offence, now), proving who has less of a life or more time to spend online rather than wheeling??

i agree with others that said things about post padding, as well. when someone posts just a smiley, or BUMP, or my favourite, ' +1 ' , does that count as a post, a REAL post, or should that be counted. furthermore, is it just going to be a gig pain to discount or disclude useless posts? i say no post count, at least not in the non-tech forums - general discussion, the garage, off-topic etc. what is the purpose of counting those posts?

sorry if i'm ranting or whatever, with all the forums i'm involved in, i just don't understand post counts for general discussion.:icon_confused:

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Post counts CAN be very useful and it'd be pretty pointless to toss them aside if you ask me. Seems like the complaints are more focused on complaining about the numbers and not the posts that are being made. A +1 or smiley is sometimes a nice addition to a thread even if it is spam somtimes... it usually doesn't interfere with the quality of the thread or other posts.

One thing here is that everyone is focused on tech... and that's good and bad. While this site is dedicated to "tech" and information it's also a social place and discouraging posting in anyway will possibly limit the amount of new members (new brains to pick) or keep things quiet and thus uninteresting.

General discussion is very important to a good forum experience.

Last edited:

bdeuce

Reaction score
so then by your rationale, it'd be ok if i just post a smiley on every thread jus solely to get my post count up? that's interesting.

i agree with you that a social environment is healthy, although not vital. that's why i suggested only counting posts made in tech areas. those are the posts that count, aren't they? what's more useful to the ranger station (your original ultimate ranger RESOURCE), someone posting valuable info and helping people, posting questions, asking for help, or posting all the dirty jokes you can find, all the flaming and berating you can do, and also helping spam find it's way here? do you think ALL posts should count? ok, maybe not toss the system aside, but i stand that posts in non-tech forums, that don't serve as a (quote) ranger RESOURCE, should not be counted. it is waaaay to easy to be a dick and drive your post count up because it means waaaay too much to you.

my $0.196 U.S ($0.02 canadian.)

BOSS302Man

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0 overhead x
E town! I work in Landisville. I also own an RSX But mine is a Type S A Spec. Similar tastes.

I think post count is a bit childish myself, but I don't mind seeing it. And I guess it makes some people happy having that under belt. But I agree that having titles just promotes post whores.

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
so then by your rationale, it'd be ok if i just post a smiley on every thread jus solely to get my post count up? that's interesting.
Not even CLOSE to what I said so that's interesting to me that you would say that

i agree with you that a social environment is healthy, although not vital. that's why i suggested only counting posts made in tech areas. those are the posts that count, aren't they? what's more useful to the ranger station (your original ultimate ranger RESOURCE), someone posting valuable info and helping people, posting questions, asking for help, or posting all the dirty jokes you can find, all the flaming and berating you can do, and also helping spam find it's way here? do you think ALL posts should count? ok, maybe not toss the system aside, but i stand that posts in non-tech forums, that don't serve as a (quote) ranger RESOURCE, should not be counted. it is waaaay to easy to be a dick and drive your post count up because it means waaaay too much to you.

The whole point of this is that is SOCIAL whether it's based around knowledge of trucks or whatever else it's still SOCIAL and so it is VERY vital. Any post that keeps the site non "ho hum", interesting, and gets people coming back (within limitations of course) is important and counts.

The rest of the site aside from the forums is a great RESOURCE and should count as one alone. The forums should be for socializing, asking questions not found, finding answers to questions not found in the regular webpage, and to keep people coming back or get people interested because without the people the site is almost nothing (no offense but if no one is seeing the tech then it doesn't do much).

I don't understand why it is thought that anyone with a high post count = dick or jerk. Look at MAKG --- he posts tons of great information and as a side affect he'll always have a ton of posts.

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.

OK; how about 1 point for each correctly spelled word? And deduct 5 points for each smiley?

This is actually pretty interesting; there's some good points being made here, going both ways.

DK27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
E town! I work in Landisville. I also own an RSX But mine is a Type S A Spec. Similar tastes.

I think post count is a bit childish myself, but I don't mind seeing it. And I guess it makes some people happy having that under belt. But I agree that having titles just promotes post whores.
Nice! I would have opted for the Type-S but dont want to pay the insurance =) I've probably seen you around then... what color is it?

BOSS302Man

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0 overhead x
OK; how about 1 point for each correctly spelled word?
Now there's something that makes sense! Promote proper English. People get too sloppy sometimes and makes it hard to read posts. I don't like having to work to read when it should be easy.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Post-whores are born that way. Only prolonged and extensive abuse can change them.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did the exchange rate change? :icon_confused:

I really don't care if we have a post count or not. I know who I can trust for tech, I know a lot of newbies don't, so it would be nice to have a way for them to tell. But that's what the rep point system should be for, if people use it. I know a few other forums that have rep point systems and people don't seem to like to use it, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Though I don't know how much people post whore just to get to a certain number of posts. I think most people whore themselves just to get above a certain rank. They don't want to be a "newbie" anymore so they make a few useless posts to get to the next level, I know people do the same to get to say 100 posts if they suddenly notice they're at say 96, but I don't think they do as much.

just my $.02 ($.0215 canadian :D)

Last edited:

BOSS302Man

Reaction score
Engine Size
4.0 overhead x
Nice! I would have opted for the Type-S but dont want to pay the insurance =) I've probably seen you around then... what color is it?
It's black and my wife drives it mostly to work. I'm 51 and even at this age I pay about 450 bucks a year for insurance on the thing. It's an '04. Bought it new in Lancaster.

bdeuce

Reaction score
I don't understand why it is thought that anyone with a high post count = dick or jerk. Look at MAKG --- he posts tons of great information and as a side affect he'll always have a ton of posts.
hold it, i didn't say all people with high post counts are dicks. i said "it is waaaay to easy to be a dick and drive your post count up because it means waaaay too much to you."

i didn't say makg was a dick because he has a high post count, or anyone else. i was simply implying that those people who do what i said, hmm, what was it, oh, yeah "...posting all the dirty jokes you can find, all the flaming and berating you can do..."

as for interesting, look at what we both wrote about just posting a smiley, or a +1 i wrote:

"...post padding, as well. when someone posts just a smiley, or BUMP, or my favourite, ' +1 ' , does that count as a post, a REAL post, or should that be counted."

you wrote, and i quote, "A +1 or smiley is sometimes a nice addition to a thread even if it is spam somtimes..."

so, by that, you are implying, that it is in fact okay for me to do this to drive my post up (the only way i said you could be a dick, btw), as long as i don't tell anyone that this is why i'm doing it...even a nice addition is it not?

look, dude, i'm really not trying to start a pissing match, i just don't think post counts are important. you obviously do, and since we're divided, i'd say the horse is dead and we should stop whipping it. mr. oaks asked for our opinions, and he got them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals