• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help to remove 5th gear from M5OD-R1

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do it on your own. I avoided transmission work for too long because I was slightly intimidated by it's inner workings. After changing out a broken mainshaft in my M5OD, I'm quite glad that I did it myself.

Don't "rebuild" the transmission. Take it apart, and fix whats wrong with it. You're throwing cash away by replacing things that don't need to be replaced. Careful inspection is the key.

Here's some valuable tips given to me by AllanD in a different thread.

A few notes I should make...
1)NEVER mess with the big "torx nut" that is the adjustable pivot
point for the 5th-Rev shift bellcrank.
2)don't disassemble the reverse idler gear from it's shaft, simply unbolt the shaft from the side of the case (the 17mm bolt head on the passenger side of the trans)
3)Don't remove the 5th reverse fork from the guide shaft it rides on.
Remove the bolt that retains the shaft in the case and it slips right out.

AD

I printed that out, and the pdf diagram/parts list of the M5OD in the tech library. It's really sorta simple after that as long as you take your time and don't mix anything up.

Flo Bee

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Do it on your own. I avoided transmission work for too long because I was slightly intimidated by it's inner workings. After changing out a broken mainshaft in my M5OD, I'm quite glad that I did it myself.

Don't "rebuild" the transmission. Take it apart, and fix whats wrong with it. You're throwing cash away by replacing things that don't need to be replaced. Careful inspection is the key.

Here's some valuable tips given to me by AllanD in a different thread.

I printed that out, and the pdf diagram/parts list of the M5OD in the tech library. It's really sorta simple after that as long as you take your time and don't mix anything up.

Thanks for the info. I suppose "freshen" would be a better term than rebuild for what I need to do with my truck's trans. I know it's going to need a little TLC just based on how it feels, and the fact that it's got 155k on it, but it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a tuner for a living, so I'm used to dealing with race cars and I have a couple friends that build my racing transmissions for customers. Depending on what tools I need to pull it apart, I might lean on them a bit. I suppose I just need to do a little more research by reading through the repair manuals and some forum searches. The goal here being to spend as little as possible since this is just a beater truck. I've just been making economy tuning changes to it for few weeks now and I've really picked up mpg (it's doing better than the EPA ratings) with only four gears, so it just makes sense to get O/D back.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What "controls" the ammount of play in the input shaft is a select fit spacer
that goes into the front bearing retainer between the bearing race and the cover.

This spacer is available from ford in different thicknesses.

I personally have a collection but then again I've disassembled a bunch of transmission that never went back together... some of them I ever intended to reassemble
I bought them purely as "organ donors".

AD

nick26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals