• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need Battery Advice

What battery should I get?

• DieHard (gold, platinum?)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Orbital

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Napa Brand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other? Answers below?

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I sell DEKA batteries and have their AGM'S on all 3 rides,the oldest being the Wifes jeep.
Its 3 years old with no problems.
They just came out with a 65 series AGM that is a hoss!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
well now that doesnt sound like the battery itself ok it went bad which sucks but iff the azz clowns at the store didnt yank you around you woulda gotten a new one...they just didnt want to do the paperwork and such unless you alternater wasnt working right. I like how it just so happend to go bad after the warrenty expired.
I would agree that it wasn't entirely the battery. I had just replaced the alternator, starter all the connecting cables were new too, so I know that wasn't the issue. A year or so later (I didn't drive this vehicle much, mostly just a work horse for me), after the battery issue, I discoverd there was a wire the previous owner had installed way back on the frame rail that had been exposed and was grounding out. I removed the wire and the draining problem subsided but not before it took my Optima from me. But it's still sketchy that the store thought it was good one day and bad a couple weeks later...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wow I've never heard of a battery lasting that long.
I had a Die Hard silver that went about 15 years before it gave up the ghost. I was running it in my 78 Olds for a while and strongly suspect that it had a dead cell for 6 months before it died completely.

As for a replacement for a 99 Ranger... I'd get a new Motorcraft or an Exide marine battery.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
maybe i missed something.....but whats wrong with having a optima if u get the proper sized optima for ur truck??? ive had nothing but good experiences with optimas, and 99% of the time if one were to HAPPEN to go bad most parts stores dont bother to check part numbers on optimas for defective exchanges lol
Well the one I got doesn't fit and when I was looking up if a better battery could fit I found that a ton of people really hated their optimas for various reasons.

Looks like they are moving the site?

I would go with another motorcraft if the last one lasted you 12 years
I would but I need the power and reserve capacity not the life (I think the battery could have lasted much longer if I hadn't added all of this extra stuff. but with it I need a battery that can take it)

I know alot of people have good experiences with optima marine batteries. You can leave them and they lose almost no charge. yellow tops suck, red tops mmmmm ok, blues rock. I know we use them in alot of equipment here in korea and have no problems with the blue tops the others i cant say the same.
So a marine Optima would be a good choice?

I sell DEKA batteries and have their AGM'S on all 3 rides,the oldest being the Wifes jeep.
Its 3 years old with no problems.
They just came out with a 65 series AGM that is a hoss!
Unfortunately I don't believe I can stuff a 65 series under the hood, But where do you work? Maybe they have a retail store up here.

I had a Die Hard silver that went about 15 years before it gave up the ghost. I was running it in my 78 Olds for a while and strongly suspect that it had a dead cell for 6 months before it died completely.

As for a replacement for a 99 Ranger... I'd get a new Motorcraft or an Exide marine battery.
Well alot of people keep saying marine battery so I have to ask... Does a marine battery do the same thing as a regular car battery and have deep cycle capacity?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 'BEST' AGM battery out there (and some would say the 'BEST' automotive battery, period) is, believe it or not, the Sears DieHard Platinum. The not-so-secret is that it's really a private label rebadged Odyssey, manufactured in the USA by EnerSys, the manufacturer of batteries for the US Armed Forces.
Totally agree. Ive heard of tons of people running these batteries and have heard nothing but good things about them. That will be the next battery for my truck. They have tons of power and a lot of times a higher reserve capacity than a blue top optima.

I wouldnt use a marine battery for starting. They arent designed for it and with some batteries it voids the warranty if you use a marine battery as a starting.

Last edited:

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I can also vouch for the DieHard Plat battery. Starting the 4cyl Ranger in the dead cold of winter has never been so easy. Engine turns over just like it was spring time. It's going into its 3rd winter year now and still passes the battery load test with flying colors. Also the 4yr free replacement warranty gives you peace of mind that Sears is standing by this battery.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've been using Delco Voyager deep-cycle batteries for over 20 years now, They've consistently lasted me at least 8 years, usually 10. They can be used for starting too (I'd go duals in parallel if you're running a lot of stereo stuff or other loads with the engine off a lot... This will effectively double your cranking amps at the same time for those cold mornings).
Neither one of the original Motorcraft batteries I had made it much past one year though :icon_confused:

Look in to the batteries. They almost all come with a blank black body because they are made by the same places and then just labeled to order.
To expand on that a bit, there's 3 major manufacturers: Johnson Controls, Exide, and East Penn.

As a whole, the ones from Johnson Controls seem the most iffy (which is who currently makes the Optima, most of Autozone's batteries, and many (if not all) of the ones Costco sells).
Exide seems middling, though I don't have much personal experience with them.
East Penn batteries you can pretty much count on no matter what label is on it (and is who makes the Delco Voyager, the Deka Intimidator, all of Carquest's batteries, and I think the Diehard Platinum).

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've been using an Oribital marine/starting battery for about 4 years now. works very well. somewhere around 800-850 cca's, iirc. very satisfied with the endurance and quality. it's been the battery in the dd that sits out side in the cold at temps that have gone as low as -32F. the block heater was plugged in on the truck, but nothing on the battery. always starts. i'd buy another one for sure.
just my $.02

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Johnson Controls makes MANY batteries. See if your local Autozone will sell you a Bosch battery which is very good and made by Johnson...They are normally a commercial customer item but....

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
That what the Motorcraft batteries are, Johnson Control batteries made to Ford spec in the black case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals