• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My turbo'd 5.0L'd 4/5 dropped 2000 Ranger

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Yea it was working pretty good. Going over the logs today, I really don't build shit for boost in 1st gear. It's positive pressure by ~2800rpm, but it doesn't peak until right before it shifts at 6300rpm/~40mph, then all of 2nd gear is 12psi. End of the ride was at the top of 2nd, and it still spun all the way there after the shift. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to do a 2 step with this microsquirt. And.. just.. 5.. more... p...s...i.... (kabloowey)

That black Chevy i was next to was a 6.0 @10psi. I honestly was not expecting the amount of horsepower that showed up to this show.

Have fun being able to build your kids' stuff, my boy hates working on things and would rather just buy it. It's like he's not even my kid.

log1.JPG

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
With the explorer 8.8 and disc brakes, does anyone know if the brake hose can be clocked differently? It's been a while since I put this together, but I seem to remember some reason they had to be put on this way.

I'm looking to buy 10" wide rims and they're going to occupy the same real estate.

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have used a different hose before. have to look at my truck. think they were for cadi calipers. ran the tee on the diff bolts and equal hardlines out and zipped to the tube at the soft lines.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With the explorer 8.8 and disc brakes, does anyone know if the brake hose can be clocked differently? It's been a while since I put this together, but I seem to remember some reason they had to be put on this way.

I'm looking to buy 10" wide rims and they're going to occupy the same real estate.
That end fitting only goes on in one orientation. You can grind down the flat on whichever side you want oriented against the stop piece, but grinding it does remove the plating so the exterior of it will rust. How much of a problem that is depends on if you live in the desert, the rainforest, or somewhere in between.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
What they said... in my case I used two passenger side hoses and reused the Ranger soft line going to the center of the diff as that allowed me more suspension travel... I know not needed on a street truck but might be needed for clearance...

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
I ordered these wheels for the rear on a 15x10, 7.5"BS/51mm offset, and will be ordering some 275/50/15 nitto 555R2s for them (26" tall). The tires all seem to be on backorder though.

Calculators say this should suck the rim in 7mm from what I have now, which are the stockers that measure 15x7 with a 4.25BS. I can space them out a little if I need to, but I already don't have much clearance to the fender lip with the stockers, thanks to the explorer axle's width.

I'm not gunna worry about the front for right now, I'll get those sorted this winter.

I also need to pull the trigger on a converter this winter. Not looking forward to that expense.

Attachments

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Forum is playing games with me tonight. I can't get the files to post as anything in this post.

Anyways, everything fits great. I have about 1" to the leaves and the wheel well. Front of the tire is basically flush with the wheel arch flange.

I hate lug nuts.

So that's a 15x10 with a 7.5 backspace on an explorer swapped 2000 with a spring under swap. 275/50/15 nitto 555r2.

Attachments

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
NOW I'm out of fuel.

17.7 psi, 99.8% duty cycle, and dropping fuel pressure. I guess I have to turn it down 😥

bottom graph, blue line is fuel pressure, should be rising, not falling. Still managed to maintain 12.2 afr (gas scale), commanding 12.0.

That's probably a lil spicy for a stock explorer 5.0 anyways.

It was pretty chilly outside tonight, ~50f, so not really were these tires want to be, but still made a huge difference. Even with almost 18 psi I didn't feel like I was on the edge of death for once.

Attachments

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh wow! Want to convert mine?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
That end fitting only goes on in one orientation. You can grind down the flat on whichever side you want oriented against the stop piece, but grinding it does remove the plating so the exterior of it will rust. How much of a problem that is depends on if you live in the desert, the rainforest, or somewhere in between.
FYI this is what I ended up doing. Thanks.

I was going to just buy some custom AN style brake hoses until I saw the driver's side is all 1 piece.. Somehow that was more than I really wanted to spend, lol.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I can do it, just about anyone can. Just takes buckets of money.
Not to mention a spare truck, big garage space to work, plenty of tools, and . . . did I mention talent?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Not to mention a spare truck, big garage space to work, plenty of tools, and . . . did I mention talent?
You can buy all that with money. You gain talent by doing. (I appreciate you saying I have talent though, cuz like... I really don't, lol )

You'd be surprised at how little I have into this

Yes, I have a 2 car garage that this lives in (I've built plenty of junk in my driveway though). Yes, I've got an ok selection of tools, but nothing crazy. I'm no mechanic with 100k on snap on tools. They're almost all generic basic tools. Only "special" tool I have is a welder, and it's just a 135A flux core job. I did use a Tig at work, I don't have my own. Yes, this is a spare vehicle... But it was bought for this purpose.

If I had to guess I've got $6k-$7k into this right now. I stopped tracking it after a while 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, well I'm the original owner of a 1975 Ford Ranchero GT with an OEM 460. I've been restoring this Ranchero for the last 10 years or so. Clearly, from experience, $6K-$7K is just good hobby money!

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Haven't updated thread in a while.

Made a list of wants for the winter.
IMG20240127175458.jpg

Got a few of them done, with the BIG one being the converter. Well, the stars aligned and I managed to get it purchased! $1500 and change later....

I went with an FTI triple disc in 3000-3200 stall. I was talking with the converter guy, and he initially wanted 3400-3600, but I did ask to go a step tighter.. I plan on swapping from 3.73 to 3.08 to get my driveshaft speed down.
While I had the trans out, I did whats left of the J-mod and installed a tuff-plate separator plate upgrade. Pan looked great... well, good. No chunks of anything but there was some glitter. So its probably not long for this world. Eh. We'll see!
IMG20240403160810.jpg
IMG20240403160835.jpg

I just got it back down on the ground yesterday. I missed all the awesome weather this weekend doing house/yard work, which sucks but it is what it is. and today its all rainy. Hopefully I can get it out of the garage tomorrow.

IMG20240416185402.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals