• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My turbo'd 5.0L'd 4/5 dropped 2000 Ranger

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Oh, you know. Fenders and hood back on, most the parts in the right places, no bag of rags on top of the engine...

By all means, "prettied up" should be according to your definition.
I'll see if I can't hide the ugly with tire smoke 😁

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'll see if I can't hide the ugly with tire smoke 😁
Pretty much how all gear heads have to aquire their significant others.

Its a shame better looking girls don't go to the track 😕 😂 tires are expensive.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like the exhaust routing behind the fender, I assume you are doing some type of side exit in front of the rear tire?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
I like the exhaust routing behind the fender, I assume you are doing some type of side exit in front of the rear tire?
yes currently it just dumps right behind the cab. i do plan on going over the axle, having it dump so close to the tire makes me nervous about blowing the engine up and it getting under the tire, or even the shanghai hair dryer letting go and dumping oil out.

going through the fender is basically the only option. these engine bays are stupid tight. (and i absolutely refuse to do a through the hood or out the fender dump) Eventually I'd like to front clip this and go to a mustang 2 front end or something similar to get some more frame room.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Bought a shifter for it, and made a mount to raise it up a bit. Unfortunately I ordered the incorrect 4r70w linkage kit, so I've got an email into Holley to see if I can just get the correct bracket or if it's all wrong. Really hoping the rod that goes into the trans is not different, really do not want to drop the pan again.

Also found the lift I did in the front was a bad idea, gotta take it back apart and remove it. Definitely looks terrible.

Got it started today, and my vref/erratic sensor feedback issue is oddly gone through no fault of my own. That's definitely permanently fixed and isn't coming back, for sure. Getting it started and runing was as simple as pulling 18% out of the ve table, so far. I went from ~42psi base pressure to 58psi base pressure, which should make my 62# injectors act like ~72#s.
So far no issues with leaving non treated e85 in the tank all winter. The only precaution I took was filling it up before parking it.

I still need to pull the column apart and figure out how the shift interlock and junk works so I can rip it all out.

Having to change the shift rod meant dropping the pan, which I honestly never did. This trans and converter are right out of a junkyard. I was happy to see absolutely no garbage in the pan and the original shipping plug. Based on logs I believe I was pushing 485-500hp at the crank last year.
IMG20230422200959.jpg
IMG20230422190440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ksack

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How well does it run with those passenger headers connecting at 90 degrees?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
How well does it run with those passenger headers connecting at 90 degrees?
ignorance is bliss; doesn't seem to care and I don't care to go looking, lol..

log manifolds are pretty common on turbo setups. ideal for extracting every last HP? no... good enough on the street that you'll never notice the slight loss of efficiency? yep.

i run up to 6300 RPM with this setup. As Richard Holdner says, "turbos just don't care, just get the exhaust to it and run it!".

Briansshop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2wd
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A stockblock 351w will hang in there. I beat on the one in my Lighting with 22psi.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I've always liked Rangers, but I've always lifted and wheeled them. My last Ranger was 93 on d60's, spooled, and 38" SX's. I used to spend a lot of time on the RRORC forums.

I haven't grown out of that, but I don't have anyone with land, and I'm tired of having to travel hours to wheel. So, I decided to build a street machine.

It started out with a Texas sourced 2000 SuperCab 2wd, which I somehow found locally with no effort. The 3.0L did seize up 5 minutes from the guy's house after buying it, but I bought it knowing the 3.0L was history as soon as I got it home. Got it for $600.
Next, I found a 2001 5.0L Explorer, again, $600. Yanked the engine, trans, rear end.

I got the 5.0L installed using Rickz plates. Then, I started mocking up the turbo, and that's where it stalled for 5 years. I didn't realize how much it was going to absolutely SUCK to deal with the hotside. About a year ago, I finally got the bug in me after years of looking at it in the garage that whole time, so I said F it, and just started doing things. Right or wrong, at least it was progress. After the initial hesitation, I ended up actually having fun making the headers. Yes, they're ugly, no, they're not perfect. Yes, they work great!

So the basic gist of the build is:

2001 Expo 5.0
-200k miles
-sn95 used cam
-Alex Springs beehive lifters for boost
-new timing set
-replaced the rear main and oil pan gaskets

2001 v6 Mustang 4R70W
-untouched. Even used the mustang's torque converter
-the trans from the expo is 4wd, and buying the mustang trans was cheaper than converting it. Now I have some spare parts I guess.

Fuel system is:
-aeromotive stealth 340lph pump in the stock module
-aeromotive #12345 10 micron post filter, for e85
-(dash)6 PTFE lines from the tank to the engine
-sn95 fuel rails
- 202? GT500 62# fuel injectors
-ethanol sensor
-10GA power wire to the module
-new upgrade for this year is a Kirban FPR

Turbo is a chinese job. Rev9 t72/68. T4 flange. If (when) I destroy it, they're $300. NBD. I hurt it within a couple days of having the truck running, so I say good call. Pro tip, if you see anyone say to run a restrictor with a journal bearing turbo, DON'T! After some consulting, I was told to put all the oil to it, and if it's not leaking, run it! So I did, it doesn't leak and it hasn't crashed yet. It's got a 3/16" feed now.

VSR blow off and wastegate.

Electronics are

Engine
-microsquirt (megasquirt, basically a condensed MS2)
-quadspark
-batch fire, wasted spark
-Ford EDIS coils
-Mac 3-port valve for boost control
-14Point7 Spartan3 lite wideband

Trans
-microsquirt again, linked to engine management via CAN.

Suspension
-DJM 4/5 drop
-shocks are... Gabriel something or other. Fronts are stock length and mount, the rears I just sized to fit the new mount locations

3.73 gear, which I am somewhat regretting currently. WAY too low, IMO, with a 25" tire. I've got to get the final tires size on before I finalize that though.

Tires in the pics are all some garbage I grabbed out of a pile that matched for now. 205 something or others. I plan on getting wheels/tires figured out this winter before driving season comes back.

I'm running this exclusively on pump E85, which is why I haven't put in an intercooler. And I kind of went e85 because I didn't want to put one in anyways.

Anyways, that was last year's setup. I identified a lot of issues, and I am spending this winter fixing as much as I can.

issues were:
-Ranger motor mounts do not like this at all, WAY too much engine movement
-ethanol sensor was flaking out randomly (haven't looked into it yet)
-fuel pressure sensor has been a giant headache. Completely un-calibrate-able for some reason. I'm not sure yet if it's another bad sensor (LowDollerMotorsports) or I suspect I have a VREF voltage issue.
-fuel injectors already in the high 80's DC, 39psi base fuel pressure (stock)
-persistent OSS/VSS signal spikes, pretty minor though
-driveline angles were GARBAGE. I broke the tailhousing off the trans once. I just didn't notice it in the mad dash to get it running.
-severely warped passenger side header flange
-column shifter is horrible
-huge oil leaks
-absolutely no traction until 3rd gear
-only 6psi :(

whatever fayg.....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
:woot:

where the hell you been kid?????..... this thing is awesomez....ezz

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
:woot:

where the hell you been kid?????..... this thing is awesomez....ezz
Just out here making a living, you know how it is. Moved to CA for 9 yrs (and didn't have time for anything out there) and then went back to WI.

didn't have a ranger for a long time.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
FYI, it F'N RIPS!

Figured out the boost controller. First run out hit boost safety at 18psi. I turned it down.

These vids are at 12psi. And side note, neither of these are WOT. I actually don't go over 80%tps cuz I'm a little scared of it right now LOL

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Went a car show last night that was doing 330ft drags. Had an absolute blast. I still haven't bought tires, and just roasted them for the entire 330ft. My buddy that went with me, his stuff wasn't running great so he let me borrow his 275 drag radials. Holy game changer!

I was still spinning up top, but I could actually get power down. All in all, I did probably 10-12 runs. That awd audi s4 obviously left me on the line, but I almost caught up at the end. If it was an 1/8 I would have passed him.

I definitely need a torque converter, (well and tires). Boost took a few to build off the line, was only able to foot brake to about 2000 rpm. I was hitting around 60-68mph in 330 ft (based on logs, no time slips)
13 psi, 1 year old pump e85. When I thought my fuel was bad I pumped it into a couple gas cans. Then I just put it back in lol.

Edit: just remembered, the borrowed tires were taller than my speedo calibration. 1.5" taller. So 68mph=around 72.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
good work matt.....

that is really working great with those tires .... lil bit of chassis work and it will be a problem for money cars....

might put a 351 in young bobs 350 Z (dont worry, it identifies as a ranger)....we need to get a t56 either way....the current cd009 is getting bad....i have been working the numbers and was about to pick up a 6.0 from a yukon....its really a tough call.

i feel bad for him either way we go.... he is never beating....we...WE are never beating his sister in a drag race... i am thinking it would lose to your truck as well...

it needs a turbo for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals