• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my new 1986 2.9L california smog?

cbsremix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
little 3.0
Transmission
Manual
I found a 1986 2.9 L on craigslist for 500.00 I was going to green sticker it but after looking over the whole truck its in pretty good shape. Im wondering if there is anything that will stand out? for one if have an cold air intake that I have tro replace with the stock one. thanks for your inputs

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
what is "Green Sticker"

AD

cbsremix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
little 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Green sticker is when you can only drive off road like dirt bikes and sandrails etc.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ahhhh... OK.

that means you have to trailer it to and from?

AD

Area 52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cali smog inspection personnel will confirm all vacuum lines and electrical connectors are hooked up and verify oxygen sensor and catalytic converter are present. They will also check condition of gas cap and do a cap pressure test on it. I understand they are, or soon will be testing the entire fuel tank breather (evaporative) system too.

JAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
for one if have an cold air intake that I have tro replace with the stock one. thanks for your inputs
From what I understand, you can run a cone filter with the stock rubber intake tube with no trouble, but if you replace the tube, make sure the tube has a CARB number on it or you will fail. You also will have to pass the evap test, where your fuel tank needs to hold pressure. I just had to make repairs after my 88 Supercap failed. My problem was a crack in the 3" piece of vacuum hose on the top of the tank. Holds pressure now, so I am back for a re-test this weekend. You will need a cat on the exhaust and all vac lines need to be in order. If it runs OK, you should pass if all is in order.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals