• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My Build, All Parts And Prices ***2016 Updated*** still not done...

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good thread. I'm in the beginning stages of a SAS myself, and am keeping tally of costs as I go. Its getting expensive, but that's the price you pay (pun intended) if you want to build something right.

D.T.Starr

July 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good post, the fact is most people flat out lie about how much they spent on building a truck to make it seem like they are smarter than everyone else.
In the scheme of things $6000 on top of the price of an old ranger is quite reasonable, like others have said it may have been better spent on 1 tons, but to each his own. Think about the people who buy $15 -$25 000 trucks (think rubicons) then easily spend an additional $6000 modifying them. There are tonnes of trucks on this website that have had $6000 spent on them in bolt ons (contrary to what 86ford thinks I doubt any of it has to do with pecker size).

The one thing you left out is bolts and such hardware, I do not remember the exact number but on my build I spent several (i.e. more than 3) hundred dollars on grade 8 hardware (not to mention the ridiculous amount I spent on the raw steel.)

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
The one thing you left out is bolts and such hardware, I do not remember the exact number but on my build I spent several (i.e. more than 3) hundred dollars on grade 8 hardware (not to mention the ridiculous amount I spent on the raw steel.)
That is a very good point too. I bought my welder and the first thing I did was buy about $300 worth of steel for some projects. I used 2 of the 3 lengths of tube to build my sliders. That right there is $200 in steel plus the 1/2" grade 8 hardware which was probably in the neighborhood of $40.

Then you need to remember your consumables. An 11lbs spool of 0.035 Mig wire is 30 bucks. A refill on my 80CF argon tank is $60.

Then theres grinding wheels.

Flapwheels are $5-9 each depending on where you get them. Cutoff wheels are $2-3. Mind you those are the prices that most other people pay.

I found a website that is much much cheaper for grinding wheels and such. www.bulletindustries.com

I ordered 3 7" flap wheels, 10 grinding wheels, 50 6" cutoff wheels $0.83 each, and 2 knotted wire brush cups. The total came to $72 shipped. They have flat $7 shipping too.

Live 2B OffRoad

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
high steer is not cheap. you could have cheapend up your brakes alot though. by switching to chevy callipers. i payed 35$ each for a loaded chevy reman caliper.

also i use Harsh Terrain for my highsteer stuff and chevy conversion stuff. the guy there name is erin is freakin awsome! i spent 560$ on 2 knuckles 2 highsteer arms 2 spindles 6 studs 5nuts 6cone washers and 6 lockwashers. i messed up one of the studs and he got me set up with another one in less than a week. they also do steering links wich i had them make mine and i didnt have to taper anything. i sent them measurements and talked to him awile but what i wanted to do great GREAT company and guy to work with. good enough i had to mention my experiance.

ill have to look into that site for the grinding materials. i have a place here that sells grade8 hardware by the pound. i have bought alot of bolts from them and havnt touched 100 dollars.

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
As far as consumables (welding supplies/steel/grinding) and bolts go, my work supplied all of that outta their bolt bins and misc steel rack. I did feel a lil guilty though and put in quite a few unbooked overtime hrs to make up for it.

-andrew

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Andrew...just wondering. I've got myself a HPD44 from a '79. It's going to be cut down in the next week or so hopefully, then I'll start working on getting it put together. Just wondering, your knuckles...they're from a '76 supercab. What years will work? I haven't been able to find out this answer yet in the searching I've done. Also...do you happen to have the cad file for the milling of your knuckles?

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'm not exactly sure what year the Supercab ran, but if you google Mr. N's site about D44's you may find a few different solutions for high steer. I don't have access to the file unfortunately, sorry.

-andrew

morgan946

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
disc brakes?

i was thinking about grabbing the axles out of a explorer for the disc brakes but will my 4.10 gears out of my ranger 8.8 fit in an exploder 8.8? is there any difference?

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
holy old thread batman

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Just in time for the overhaul!

...and wow, do my fenders make 37's look small. Approx 27" under the frame.....

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Soooo..... Whatcha doin to it???

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Here's a small list, some will happen now... some later

-FW D44 (temporary)
-FW Full Float 9" rear (14bolt spindles and outers)
-Long Radius arms
-Adding crossmembers, building a rear traction bar
-5.13's

-9" front with D60 outers,
-4.8L/NV4500/NP241/NP205
-Exocage/tube bed with bedsides...

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
damn! 5.13's with an NV4500?? Please tell me you are not going to drive that thing on the street

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals