• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My backyard build (56K warning)

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
why not get the head bolts while your at the dealership?
Cause im cheap... and they dont have em. BUT.... I went to the scrap yard and found a complete 5.0L HO MAF motor in a thunderbird that i can have for $100, so i asked if i can take the wireing and everything attached with the motor and he says "however you wanna take it out go ahead". So then I get the HO cam, the heads(are they different for a ho? i dont think they are but not sure?) and the MAF wiring i wanted and the computer for $100.

I could get new headbolts for $60, or a whole engine and other parts i want for $100 and bring the block and other metal in for scrap and get up to $40 back. So I think this is going to be the better route. Rather than using the wireing harnesses i have and modifying them to accept a MAF, and then on top of that have to go out and get the computer anyway.

This way i also get spare sensors, and alternator, compressor, water pump, all kinds of good stuff i could use.

Last edited:

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey, if your just going to take the block back for scrap, if it's any good, I'll take it off your hands...

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hey, if your just going to take the block back for scrap, if it's any good, I'll take it off your hands...
come give me $40 for it and you've got a deal. This engines even more worth buying now. Got under the car to unbolt the transmission and starter and that kindda stuff and what do ya know...
the oil pans brand new on it! That saves me $80 on the oil pan that i previously had to buy cause the old one was rotten to hell.

So looks like 2 days worth of work pulling an engine paid off HUGE!!

Im bringing it home tomorrow, and going to pull it apart. And its going to be a refresh course on what bolts go where. hahaha.

If anyone in the area needs a complete 4.0L motor that was 100% when i pulled it, its theirs for $200

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Double... site froze on me...

Last edited:

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
double post! yea man, by all mean's I'll take the block off your hands (it'll just be like, block, crank, rod's, and pistons, right? you took the intake and heads and stuff?). I could use a winter project like building a short block. Something for me and the old man to do together.

So it's an H.O motor out of a T-bird? do you know what condition the motor is in? (i.e, do you think it was running when taken to the j/y?)

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
double post! yea man, by all mean's I'll take the block off your hands (it'll just be like, block, crank, rod's, and pistons, right? you took the intake and heads and stuff?). I could use a winter project like building a short block. Something for me and the old man to do together.

So it's an H.O motor out of a T-bird? do you know what condition the motor is in? (i.e, do you think it was running when taken to the j/y?)
The only thing I know about the engine is that it turned over when i took out the flyweel to torque converter bolts. I can tell you more once i get it home and torn apart. But yea its an HO from a t-bird, im checking the year of it and everything tomorrow when i pick it up.

And yea it would be nothing but block, rods, pistons and crank. no covers no heads no accessories nothing but a starting point.

And you dont get to check out my truck :p haha. its at my buddies place in the shop/ barn conversion.

Last edited:

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that's cool...for $40 bucks, it's more than a starting point. Give me something to do over the winter. You keeping an EFI setup for your truck or going with a carb'd setup?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
that's cool...for $40 bucks, it's more than a starting point. Give me something to do over the winter. You keeping an EFI setup for your truck or going with a carb'd setup?

EFI all the way! To hell with carbs!! haha yea carbs will do the job, but I like efi, yea its more thinking and wireing and all that crap, but i like it.

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are you just building a stock motor, or are you going to mod it a bit? are you using the stock, uh...whatever computer for the engine?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
are you just building a stock motor, or are you going to mod it a bit? are you using the stock, uh...whatever computer for the engine?
Right now im interested in putting it in as stock... i REALLY miss driving my truck and i just want to drive it... then i will look into doing some performance stuff to it once its in there... like maybe an explorer intake with some trick flow heads. I dunno. I'll do something sooner or later.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Made some progress on the engine the past few days, decided to take some pictures.

mmmm shiney :D

I think I am going to take the intake to get glass beaded so it's nice and pretty lookin, then spray it with some clear coat stuff for wheels that I've got. I cant have nice new shiney valve covers next to a nasty corroded intake... NO WAY! hehe. Once I get that done its just a matter of putting it on and then i can start hookin up sensors and wires and looking forward to mounting it on the frame.

hummmm.... on second thought... i better not look forward to it. If I really want to do it, I will do it WAY before im ready to put the body back on the frame and it will sit outside in the cold weather covered up very poorly and get rained on and have animals hide nuts in it... yea maybe I wont look forward to mounting it... haha.

Once the engines all done up, the dana 44 is my next victim!! LOOK OUT DANA! I'm gonna cut you up!

And, got bored so plaied with the explorer a little....

F YOU FIERO!!!!
it was going in for scrap and I had nothing better to do.

Last edited:

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Small update that took alot of work.

Engine wire harness recovered with new tape and plastic loom.

(oil pressure sensor wire in the centre pocket!)

And cleaned the hell out of the lower intake, injectors, distributor, fuel rail, and shined the valve covers. Couldn't put the distributor on yet tho, I've misplaced the oil pump drive shaft.

Next for the engine, is a 1" intake spacer to clear the valve covers. And a shiney upper intake, oil pan, and the distributor. Looin good so far. I'm hoping to get around to doing the front axle this weekend. As long as the brake lines on a neon dont take forever.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Interior of the trucks coated in bedliner now... and so am I. Well I've got from under the windshield to the firewall/ floor seam done. Cause its cold and i only want to do as much as i have to.
I can put the truck together and drive it and finish the rest when I bring it to work so i can finish the rest in a heated garage.

Now I have to concentrate all my energy on the front axle. Couldn't do it today because i couldn't get any supplys for it, like stuff to make a template to weld everything back together the way it was.

Plus still trying to figure out how to build the radius arms and that type of crap. I was thinkin making some that bolt to the axle the same way as before, then have a leaf spring bushing on the other end. Seems to be a pretty secure way of doing it to me.

I guess there will be more to come next weekend.

But for now... im tired out!

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Man that engine is SHINY! Looking good though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals