• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 84 ranger with a supercharged 5.0 and full width SAS

Boghog1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

2.9XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Nice, I like how it's badass and has stock tan paint.

84ranger302

April 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
If you've got any pics from the build thread, start a build thread and I'm nominating you for ORTOTM.

P.S.- What'd you do with those long arms?!
I really regret not not documenting all projects I have done to the truck and taken more pictures during the builds. About All I really have are pictures of the truck in different stages of its life.

As far as the long arms go I ended up selling them along with the rest of the old lift kit (had to pay off the lockers and gears lol). They had been pretty banged up though. But served me well!

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
where are you from?

84ranger302

April 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
where are you from?
From good old Tucson Arizona! I guess I should update my profile. I had an account here before and lost my password, so I had to start all over with a new one :sad:

bozone802

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
i am doing the same to my 1999, some things are different, mainly i am using bronco stuff so i have coils up front instead of leafs. i am wondering what steering box you used. is yours old enough that you were able to use the stock one? mine is rack and pinion so it had to go and i think im going to go with an early explorer steering box, but i just wanted to ask you anyway.
also what did you do to adjust to the width of the axles? i am thinking about just welding plates on the frame to give me some extra width, what did you do?
you are using 63 chevys, did you make your own mounts for them, or use stock chevy mounts? i also hear those get hung up on stuff a lot, do you find that to be a problem?
about the pinion angles, were the stock spring perches at enough of an angle to run? or did you have to move them?
sorry for all the questions but i just finished hacking all my ifs and rear end off today, so i am trying to get this thing to come together!
thanks for the help and info!

84ranger302

April 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
i am doing the same to my 1999, some things are different, mainly i am using bronco stuff so i have coils up front instead of leafs. i am wondering what steering box you used. is yours old enough that you were able to use the stock one? mine is rack and pinion so it had to go and i think im going to go with an early explorer steering box, but i just wanted to ask you anyway.
also what did you do to adjust to the width of the axles? i am thinking about just welding plates on the frame to give me some extra width, what did you do?
you are using 63 chevys, did you make your own mounts for them, or use stock chevy mounts? i also hear those get hung up on stuff a lot, do you find that to be a problem?
about the pinion angles, were the stock spring perches at enough of an angle to run? or did you have to move them?
sorry for all the questions but i just finished hacking all my ifs and rear end off today, so i am trying to get this thing to come together!
thanks for the help and info!
Mine was old enough that I was able to use the factory steering box. As far as the width of the front axle I just bolted the stock full sized radius arm brackets to the frame. Then took a rachet strap and pulled the radius arms in to fit through the holes of the brackets. It may help to loosen the radius arm caps to pull them in.

For the chevy leafs I just moved the factory hangers foward about 6 inches. I used this tech article as a guide. http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/chevy_springs.htm So far they flex really well, provided some extra lift, and no issues with them getting hung up.

Unfortunately I had to cut and re locate the spring perches for the rear since they were too too far apart on the f150. So from there I just re set my pinion angle.

Hope this helps get your project going.

Andrew

rangersteve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Very nice build and truck. Keep the pics coming.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This, is godly.

dirtydeeds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
toy
Transmission
Automatic
That truck is so damn sick!

erocka1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that is pure awesomeness!!!!!!! beautiful!

rangerman84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
beautiful i love seein first gens get the sas

NETTOS 89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 ranger str
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
92 exp 4.0
Transmission
Manual
truck looks real nice:icon_cheers::icon_cheers::3gears:

black bart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ranger stx
Make / Model
1991 mazda nava
Transmission
Automatic
nice truck

nice truck ! just finished a 91 Mazda Navajo (mozdilla) i have a 93 ranger extra cab started the v 8 conversation, pick up a Dana 44 & 9" from a 77 bronco, james duff arms for a bronco and spring buckets for the ranger. you truck is inspirational.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals