• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 4.0 swap

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Originally you stated that:

"I am planning on pulling the whole front clip off and pulling the motor. Then doing the SAS while I have EASY access to the frame and everything. Then I was going to drop the motor in."

I agree that with the fenders off, it will be easier to do the suspension work, but it won't be any help when pulling the motor and trans, as the inner fenders and core support are welded to the main body structure. Does that make more sense?

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree that with the fenders off, it will be easier to do the suspension work, but it won't be any help when pulling the motor and trans, as the inner fenders and core support are welded to the main body structure. Does that make more sense?
Yep.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I guess my next question would be, if I do swap the entire dash over to the B2 will there be any wires that need to be spliced/changed or will it all use the explorer harness?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I swapped the whole shebang into my 88 BII, so I put the dash and explorer harness in. To me it was much easier to match up the wires in the main harness under the truck rather than have sliced wiring in the dash. For yours, as long as the options are the same you should have little difficulty.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Swapping the dash on a Gen2 to Gen2 swap is not necessary, and will just be more work than sorting out the few minor wiring differences.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah the only reason I would swap it is if the Expy dash is in better shape than mine. Mine is trashed.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well it looks like my plan to get that 91 explorer has fallen through. Anyone know if a 93 explorer is the same?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They say there are differences in every year. Not sure. I used a 94 ranger. I had to splice the headlights and taillights. I swapped to manual windows to avoid that the prob of windows, and I'm swapping to a manual t case. My donor was 2wd.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They say there are differences in every year. Not sure. I used a 94 ranger. I had to splice the headlights and taillights. I swapped to manual windows to avoid that the prob of windows, and I'm swapping to a manual t case. My donor was 2wd.
But your engine harness plugged right into the firewall connection with no changes?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plugged in , no problem. It even looks like it belongs there.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I only changed mine because it was a gen one dash which I think are kinda weird with the big cardboard hole on the passenger side.So your probably fine color comes into this too.

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
A '93 should work fine. For the most part '91 - '94 are the same but there are small changes year to year. I'm not sure about '93 but I know '94 had EGR and a cam position sensor, '91 - '92 don't. If you swap in the entire dash it doesn't really matter for wiring what year you pick. One difference between the BII and the Ex will be in the PW&L. If you have manual windows it doesn't matter but other wise you'll need to do some splicing/rewiring.

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok after weeks of waiting im finally going to be picking up my donor exploder tomorrow. I have decided to tackle the motor swap and then move on to the SAS, mostly due to the fact that the front axle I have needs some attention before going in. Anyway I hope to get some pictures of the donor and get them up for you all to see. Then Ill be pulling the B2 in and start tearing it down.

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok after weeks of waiting im finally going to be picking up my donor exploder tomorrow. I have decided to tackle the motor swap and then move on to the SAS, mostly due to the fact that the front axle I have needs some attention before going in. Anyway I hope to get some pictures of the donor and get them up for you all to see. Then Ill be pulling the B2 in and start tearing it down.
I finally joined!
Can't wait to get started on this. It's gonna turn out great

AZFX4

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So Im gonna be pulling my dying 2.9 motor this weekend. Anyone know the best pick point to hook my cherry picker to? Do I need to pull the intake and use one of the bolt holes?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals