• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mustang front brakes with discs on the rear 8.8 Explorer

skyhighsami

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2000 Ranger and I am going to lower it, swap on some 18x8.5 and 18x10.5 wheels. When the suspension was apart I was curious if there are any kits or brackets to bolt on any of the Mustang Brembo calipers and disc on the front of a 2wd coil spring Ranger and some way to add upgrade the brakes on an Explorer 8.8? I have a Brembo BBK with 2 piece rotors on my Yukon and C7 Corvette Brembo calipers on the rear with 2021 RST Tahoe rotors. Is there a similar upgrade for the Ranger? There are so many vehicles Ford and other manufacturers that use Brembo calipers that buying their kits for almost $4k is insane.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The show stopper for the rear brakes is the parking brake. In my state, no parking brake means no sticker.

skyhighsami

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I read that but since I did make a post asking so many questions I wanted to make a thread asking more directly. I have been searching and reading but the thread left me with Cobra brakes can be done if the person that made the brackets has any.

skyhighsami

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Aren't you able to retain the emergency brakes from the Explorer rear when swapped if the cable and everything is done correctly?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The guy making the Cobra PBR caliper brackets with 13" rotors has been gone a long time. Link that stmitch posted over there is a company making a kit that uses better Cadillac ATS Brembo calipers and same size rotors. Unlike the previous guy that presold in batches, this company keeps them in the shelf ready to sell.

If you install the explorer axle with it's disk brakes you can keep the parking brake working fairly easily. The cable ends are different so not a direct swap, but it can be adapted. I haven't looked closely, but for mine I will probably cut the cable on both around mid way and swedge the different ends back together.

Upgrading the explorer brakes was pretty clear over there.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Aren't you able to retain the emergency brakes from the Explorer rear when swapped if the cable and everything is done correctly?
I looked up a 1997 explorer. Looks like it uses the mini brake shoe system for the parking brake, which is located inside the rotor. Rotors meant for the front of a car do not have this. Will the aftermarket rotor have this feature? I doubt it but maybe. I have seen a mini mechanically operated parking brake caliper that can be added to a rotor made by Wilwood. Then the cable would actuate it. So you would have two calipers, the regular hydraulic brake caliper and the little mechanical caliper for the parking brake.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals