• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

MP3 player through the MACH system.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Allright, so I'm on my way figuring out about what I need/want and how to do it and I started noticing a trend that I couldn't quite nail down an answer for. Neither here or the Internet.

Vehicle is a 1997 Ranger, Std. cab. Currently* has some cassette player with CD changer capability (no changer) and basic factory. It has other issues that necessitates replacement.

*I will be upgrading to an 1998-2001 Ford Explorer/Mountaineer MACH CD/Cassette RDS radio. Basically pulling the entire thing out of the Explorer/Mountaineer and into my Ranger. The only difference in the system would be the sub where I may have to get a shallow mount depending on space, even still it would be as equivalent as possible. It should play MP3 CD's but I'd like a little more space and not be switching CD's out all the time.

These radios have (supposedly) a factory CD changer through an AUX port. Most, if not all, the MP3 adapters that are tuneable through the radio inputs replace the CD changer.

QUESTIONS:

1. I see basically all of them say they're for Ipods. Does this mean they only work with Ipods? I had Itunes (which I guess you need for Ipods?) on my computer for maybe 3 weeks, my computer never played sound right ever again. I'd like to avoid an Ipod, or more specifically, the software that goes with it.

2. Can Iopds use other softwares to put music on them?

3. Will any MP3 player work and be tuneable through the radio?

4. I've heard issues about those MACH systems being picky about MP3 player additions (i.e. - they don't work, despite the MACH HU's having a CD changer feature that other MP3 players seem to work fine with). Anyone hear/know otherwise?

I know Factory HU's are looked down upon here, but I already made another thread about that. I just don't care for aftermarket stuff.

Radio in question:
http://replacementradios.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_114&products_id=816

Other thread:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58886

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
ANSWERS (I think):

1. "I see basically all of them say they're for Ipods." - all of them ..... what?!??!??! What is them?

2. As far as I know of, no.

3. Yes, more in a moment.

4. I have zero input here. I've never even sat in a vehicle with the MACH stuff.

Okay, now for that moment I was talking about in number 3 .....

Why not just get an FM modulator and be done with it?!??!?!? It plugs inline with the factory radio's antenna input in the back (i'd like to imagine that the MACH system still has this). They're not overly expensive and would certainly make short work of inputting any type of external player an extremely easy job. You can use an iPod or any ol' generic mp3 player ..... anything that has a 2.5- or 3-mm headphone jack.

It's fast, easy and fun for the kids! :D

Example ..... (you can get wired or wireless, whichever you prefer)

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10114376&catid=

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
1. "I see basically all of them say they're for Ipods." - all of them ..... what?!??!??! What is them?]
The MP3 adapters that plug into the AUX port on the back of the radio and let you control them (the MP3 players) through the radio controls.

I thought the FM modulators broadcasted a short radio transmission at a certain frequency. Thus all the complaints about crappy quality I've seen about these.

I guess if there are some that plug inline with the antenna I could go that route.

Last edited:

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The MP3 adapters that plug into the AUX port on the back of the radio and let you control them (the MP3 players) through the radio controls.

I thought the FM modulators broadcasted a short radio transmission at a certain frequency. Thus all the complaints about crappy quality I've seen about these.

I guess if there are some that plug inline with the antenna I could go that route.
Okay, understood, just wanted to be sure.

Correct, you use one of the stations as a preset. Quality does indeed vary, so read lots of reviews from buyers and go from there. There's really little way to avoid this. However, I don't see how this would interfere with the factory CD player, it's input or operation. :dunno: I have yet to see an FM modulator unit that does not plug into a radio (factory or aftermarket) through the antenna input. The industry has been doing it this way for 20+ years since the inception of add-on CD players.

Wired modulators are subject to the same BS and wireless.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can use mediamonkey to load an ipod, as long as its not a Classic or touch. I hate i tunes but ive never had a problem with it affecting my computers sound.

Slim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 + 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Now that I have a few more minutes, i'd like to expand on what I said above about FM modulators.

I originally purchased a Belkin TuneCast 3 FM transmitter. What a pos! http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=355975 The sound quality wasn't that good and the volume was horrible. Even with the mp3 player at full tilt the factory radio sounded like it was at half power. Foolish me for not doing more research. I later discovered that practically everyone that reviewed it through Future Shop, where I purchased the unit, at the time gave it poor reviews. (funny, I can't find it in their listings anymore lol)

My latest acquisition is a Scosche Universal Modulator (FMMOD02). http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/417 I am VERY happy with this unit. The sound quality is great and there's not a huge loss in volume through the system. Future Shop raters have this at 4.38 out of 5 right now.

If I lived closer i'd happily let you give it a "test run", but that's not practical. Perhaps you can see if there's anyone local to you that can demo whatever they have?

Just a thought. :icon_idea:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals