• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More parts, couple questions

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Those of you who have been on TRS awhile are probably a little familiar with my saga to get my truck back to daily driver territory. It's been around 4 years now. The 2.3t is waiting in the wings, and I've successfully bartered for some garage space to do the swap in the spring, but in the meantime I want to run the truck if I can, especially without the factory 1bbl.

Picked up a late 70's 2300 from a Mustang II today for $75, complete minus alternator and exhaust manifold. Supposedly rebuilt within 7500 miles and then the car was hit in the rear and totalled.

Looking forward to being able to use some of my 2bbl Autolites, Holley 5200s, or 4bbl Holley 390 with the oval-port head on this motor - finally! I could never work those out to be used easily with my existing built round-port head, at least not with a distributor.

So questions. Other then swapping the pan and pickup from front sump to rear and blocking off the fuel pump hole (I have electric) are there any differences I should be aware of? I'm installing in an '83 2wd with TK4 that will be upgraded to M50D shortly.

How about the flywheel? I have one from an '88 Ranger along with that clutch (think M50D splines may differ, however) that I can use. Several starters laying around too. One from this engine-donor Mustang, one from the '87TC that donated my 2.3t, and of course the stocker in the truck. Are they all compatible?

Thanks for any info, may get this thing back on the road yet, and for not much cash.

Brian

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
In addition to the pan and pick-up you'll need to swap over one of the main cap bolts. You'll understand when you have it apart.

If possible, I'd stick with the 2.3 flywheel that went with the tranny you intend to use.

No difference in the starters except when you get into the newer ('92ish+), significantly more expensive, permanent magnet starters.

All of those motors should have square tooth timing belts and just about everything should interchange.

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Think I remember exactly what you mean Dave R, I put a junkyard 2.3 from a Fairmont into the truck in maybe 1997 or 1998. The pickup is attached to one of the caps, and since I'm changing from front to rear sump the attachment bolt has to be moved.

Just loosen the two fasteners in question, swap, re-torque, right?

I've picked up all the gaskets as of today, will tear into things as I have time, which might not be for a couple weeks minimum judging by how busy I am at work.

I should have just about everything I need - pan, pickup, alt brackets, serpentine pulleys, exhaust manifold, alternator, etc. already in storage. I guess I can always swap the flywheel over from the motor in the truck, not like it takes very long. Even got a nice metal timing cover on this motor, first one of those I've seen, and I've pulled apart a lot of 2.3's.

As always, thanks!

Brian

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
Just loosen the two fasteners in question, swap, re-torque, right?
Yes, though you only have to swap over one bolt.

Even got a nice metal timing cover on this motor, first one of those I've seen, and I've pulled apart a lot of 2.3's.
I think the last year to use the metal cover was '78 or '79. They were OK except they rattled and eventually the engine vibration would fatigue the metal near the attachment bolts and the cover would shear.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals