• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manifold Removal Tips

Mobtown

Reaction score
1988 SuperCab with a 2.9L, 4x4, and 5sp

I am getting ready to replace the entire exhaust. The manifold down pipe is nearly rusted through and the converter flanges are nearly gone and are leaking...

I am fairly skilled (I have done complete engine rebuilds before) and have fairly well stocked garage at my disposal but I am new to the 2.9.

Really I am looking for some tips specific to the Ranger. I know that rusted manifolds are a pain in general, but I thought maybe some of you could share your experiences.

For example, access to the back bolts is pretty limited, what sort of tools did you use and which accessories did you remove to get around the issue.

From what I have seen, I am tempted to do a body lift first just so I can get a few extra inches to work with...

Thoughts>?

Bow_Extreme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Try removing the inner fenders. That gives you a bit more room to work. It worked last night on my 94 4.0. I did have a couple bolts that I worked ever so gently but in the end, they all came out with ease. I'm sure a little applied heat would help but may want to limit the application.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got mine out of a 2.9L with a 1/2 inch impact wrench, some extensions, and a lot of time. A 3/4 inch probably would have gone a bit faster.

Though honestly, you're throwing out the manifolds. Just cut the Y-pipe bolts if they give you any grief.

2.9Ls are notorious for breaking manifold bolts at the heads. All I can suggest is a lot of penetrating lubricant and a SMALL impact wrench. If you break them, drill them out carefully. I do NOT suggest oxyacetylene heat on the heads unless you are going to flatten the flanges. Not to mention I think you may risk a crack or two on known crack prone heads.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unbolt the manifolds at the motormounts. Then put a set of manifolds on that have a 4.0 between them.

Don't take the manifolds off of the heads. Too risky. Even having to drill one could mean pulling the head off of the engine to get it done. I'm not good at straight drilling unless the head is leveled under my drill press.

Getting the Y-pipe off can be tough. They are bolts, not nuts on studs--which is stupid. They are also automotive things meaning that replacements aren't at your local True Value. You can put lots of heat on those flanges though. If you don't have a kit, go to True Value and get a MAPP/OXY setup. It uses little bottles the size of propane torch bottles--yellow for MAPP and red for O2. You can get then cherry red or even gas weld with it. Propane doesn't do anything in the heat department.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Unbolt the manifolds at the motormounts. Then put a set of manifolds on that have a 4.0 between them..
AHhahahaha! :D I'd like to do that too. But my 2.9 stays for now.

MAKG, how about breaking them loose with an extension and a long handle ratchet? I've noticed that sometimes an impact snaps things, that could be loosened by hand and then removed with the impact (faster!) once they are broken loose...for instance the bed bolts...broke a couple of the clip nuts (on the frame) with the impact. Loosened the remainder with a breaker bar and EVEN pressure, then removed them with the impact once they were loose....no more snapped nut clip thingys.

On reinstall would you use exhaust gaskets? I know they didn't have a gasket stock, but my rebuilt motor has the gaskets in there like come in an engine gasket set.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I replaced the heads on my 2.9L, I didn't use the exhaust gaskets. I'd measure warpage on the flange surface and on the manifolds, and get them flattened (a big sanding belt will do -- no need for milling) if they aren't flat. Gaskets = leak sites. I have constant problems with that on my Chevy. Thankfully it doesn't have oxygen sensors....

As for the breaker bar, I could see where that would be a big deal with spring clips. But my experience was that the Y-pipe bolts actually came out after quite a lot of that, whereas I couldn't get enough leverage on the bolt (with the truck on the ground) using a breaker bar. Not because I don't have enough -- I have a 6 foot cheater and 3/4 inch ratchet that can take it -- but because the ground was in the way.

The bolts came out clean and undamaged. I was astonished. I expected buggered threads and was ready with the Helicoil. All it really needed was a run-through with a tap and four replacment bolts coated in Nev-R-Seez (they are just coarse thread grade 5 bolts -- nothing special). I probably could have reused the bolts after a good wire brushing....

Honestly, the BIG problem is the manifold-to-head bolts. I broke four. Fortunately, the heads were junk (cracked -- and painfully visibly so from under the valve covers), so I didn't care.

As for the Y-pipe-to-cat bolts, get a big breaker bar and snap all three. Replace with nuts and bolts from the hardware store. These are not EVEN worth fighting with.

Mobtown

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I intend to trash the entire system so anything after the manifolds will get disassembled using a torch or will get cut. My only real fear is having to drill out broken studs. I need to try and avoid such a situation at all costs.

I am considering skipping trying to finess the nuts and instead just try cutting them, using a ton of PB, and a stud extractor I hope to have a better chance of not snapping any off.

I especially appreciate the idea of removing the inner fender. Any more of these types of suggestion that will help me get teh right access?

Also, I noticed the stock manifolds have heat shield and was wondering if I should wrap my headers before installation? I have noticed the bay gets very hot as it is and it seems like a prudent move...thoughts?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's not a heat shield. It's a warm air intake.

It's technically an emissions device, so disabling it is illegal and carries a hefty fine. It isn't used at WOT; the blend door is vacuum actuated.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not a heat shield. It's a warm air intake.

It's technically an emissions device, so disabling it is illegal and carries a hefty fine. It isn't used at WOT; the blend door is vacuum actuated.
It also helps warm up your engine faster, which is the main reason I would leave it alone if you can get it to work with the headers.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It also helps warm up your engine faster, which is the main reason I would leave it alone if you can get it to work with the headers.
X2, it's useful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals