• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

LS1 Ranger

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You can do that with ANYONE'S V8. Brand doesn't matter with all the heads out there today.
Yeah, the amount of money it would take to make a 302 perform equal to a LS1 is ridiculous... I'm talking about maybe $500 in parts for a 450ish RWhp engine... You take a 302 out of a Mustang, port the heads, and drop in a new cam and you might make it to 300/350...

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, the amount of money it would take to make a 302 perform equal to a LS1 is ridiculous... I'm talking about maybe $500 in parts for a 450ish RWhp engine... You take a 302 out of a Mustang, port the heads, and drop in a new cam and you might make it to 300/350...
What's a matter, you afraid to compare cubic inch to cubic inch ? Every S10 I've seen with a 350 ran the same 1/4 mile as a Ranger with a 302.:icon_rofl: And lets not forget the LS1's are Ford based.:icon_rofl: Put those heads on a 351W block and you'll get the same results.:D

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Heck yeah I'm afraid to compare cubic inch to cubic inch, haha... Let's take Chevy's 5.0l 305 and put it against Ford's 5.0l 302... Ford is the obvious winner there... I'm just saying the LS series engines are probably one of the easiest engines the get loads of power out of cheaply... There is no doubt that Ford has been a little behind on the musclecar thing since Chevy brought the LT1 into their Camaro... Let's see, I have a 1996 LT1 Camaro, when it was completely stock it made about 285hp, I don't quite remember the Mustang GT numbers from '96, but it seems to me it was about 225hp... When Chevy went to their LS1 powerplant that bumped hp up to about 325hp, I don't know what the 4.6 in '98 made... There is a guy that has a cam, exhaust and a high stall converter and he runs 11's on his LS1... Trust me though, the LT and LS series engines are the only Chevy products I'll argue with someone over...

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You can't really compare factory HP numbers, they've been known to fudge those for decades. And you're comparing numbers for engines with a 50 cube difference. 285 for a 350 vs 235 for a 302 (93 GT40 Cobra 5.0) I see no difference there. Neither can you say that Ford's been behind in the last twenty years, when you know where the Camaro's been for the last 6 years or so. It's been DEAD..........and the rumors of its resurection? I've yet to see one on a dealers lot yet. Might not ever happen now with Uncle Sam running GM now.:icon_rofl: Not saying either that Ford went the right direction with the Mod motors, that as I've said was a mistake in my opinion in the simplicity & affordability department.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The only point I'm trying to make is that the LS1 is easy to get lots of hp from... I don't care to argue Mustang vs Camaro right now... Bring a '96 Mustang to my local track and I'll bring my car and settle it there...

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only point I'm trying to make is that the LS1 is easy to get lots of hp from... I don't care to argue Mustang vs Camaro right now... Bring a '96 Mustang to my local track and I'll bring my car and settle it there...
Lets do it right and you go up against a 93 Cobra. Your car weighs at least 800 lbs more. That makes em equal.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't mind going up against it, lol... It wouldn't be fair at all (on my end) my Camaro isn't near stock anymore... Honestly though, if I was going to spend the money to swap a Chevy into a Ranger it'd be something kickass like an LS7 500hp NA 6-bolt mains... That would be cool...

HoleshotKFX400

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
LOL! I started this thread to try and get some pics & it turned into a big chevy vs ford dual...

And Baddad you know what would happen with those heads on a 351 block, it would rip the mains out and there goes another $1700 bucks for a svo 4 bolt block. Im not saying ford motors arnt sweet, they sound much better then a ls1 hands down or any chevy for that matter... its just they are so pricey.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Rip the mains out? Not hardly. We're talking about a FORD block here. Ain't never heard of the mains being ripped out of any small block, Windsor or Cleveland. 2 bolt Clevelands were run in Pro Stock & Nascar. You're not going to do that with a SBC with 2 bolt mains.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
LOL! I started this thread to try and get some pics & it turned into a big chevy vs ford dual...

And Baddad you know what would happen with those heads on a 351 block, it would rip the mains out and there goes another $1700 bucks for a svo 4 bolt block. Im not saying ford motors arnt sweet, they sound much better then a ls1 hands down or any chevy for that matter... its just they are so pricey.
Sorry... I tried to stay on topic :icon_surprised: I think you should go with an LS7, with a 5-speed, in an AWD SLA Ranger... I so wanna do a Ranger like that someday...

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone tried putting the 5.3L small block LS engine in a Ranger?

Will it fit?

Would it require a whole mess more mods than swapping a Ford engine in, or is it the same amount of work?

Just curious, it's not like I have the money or time to do this, but maybe ten years down the road.... :icon_bounceblue:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah you can do that with anyones v8, but you have to be rich to do it. LS's make so much power for so little money its unbelievable, just take the 302, block is junk past 500whp, so is the bottem end, and the heads dont move air, and to get a decent set there goes $2000 bucks, so if your building anything decent theres prolly no ford parts even left
So, why compare it to a 302 block ? When it's more in line with a 351 block? Trying to stack the deck aren't you? :D And decent SBF heads are not $2000. Cleveland style heads are, but Windsors? No. Where you look maybe, but where I shop they're not. Fact still remains, the LS series is a Ford based design. Just as Ford took Chevy's BB and improved on it 40 years ago.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I thought this was dead lol...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals