• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lift pros and cons

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im thinking about getting me a lift for my truck but idk which to go with, body lift or suspension lift so what are the pros and cons of both cause i really dont know anything about lifts. im looking to get about 2 or 3 inches of lift
thanks

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
what are you going to be doing to want a lift? trails? mud? or jsut want bigger tires?
is this going to be a lift you are going to use or just for looks?
are you going to be the only owner of the vehicle? does your state require re-inspections every certain number of years?

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well for right now it would be for looks but eventually for trails and mud, i plan on being the only owner since its paid off and it has to get inspected every year

Last edited:

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
body lift- cheap, gets you up, no ride improvements.

Suspension- More (read: alot more like 2 grand) expensive, better flex.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Body lift pros: Cheap, no steering problems, don't need alignment, keeps CG low, allows for bigger tires which result in more frame and axle clearance, makes working on truck easier, allows for use of doubler or fitment of bigger tranny.

Body lift cons: Can be unsightly, lift itself provides no frame clearance increase, flex does not improve.

Suspension lift pros: Better flex, more frame clearance.

Suspension lift cons: expensive, requires alignment, can result in steering problems, raises CG substantially

I have always said, use a suspension lift to get the flex and frame clearance you desire. If you still need room for bigger tires, go with a body lift from there. If you only want bigger tires, a body lift is the best option.

Last edited:

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i dont think i will need more frame clearance so im most likely gona go with a 2 in body lift then if i can find one since its cheep and easier but im gona have to wait on the lift till i get money for bigger tires and new rims then

BrianWalsh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some of the guys here run a Performance Accessories 3 inch body lift with a torsion bar crank of 1.5 to 2in (No more then 2in) and swap out the stock shackles for a set of Belltech 6400 shackles and add an extra leaf spring in your leaf stack (truxx makes one) that would give you the room for 33's.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can make your own body lift out of hockey pucks, pipe, etc. I would recommend pipe with washes welded to each open side. Only things you should need afterwards are maybe steering extensions and whatnot.

dirtracer81_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just go on ebay type in "Ranger body lift" find a new one buy it and put it on. It saves you the headache of trying to make one and you know it will be safe. When I bought mine I got it off ebay for $120 and that was with shipping and that also had a shifter extension with it because the guy bought it and never got a chance to put the lift on. I have a performance accessories body lift and running 15x10 mt wheels with 32x11.50s I wish I would have went with a 33 but these were on sale. I have lots of room to clear and all i dont was cranked the tbars to level it out. With a body lift your steering will get a little tighter but you get used to it and nothings bad about it.

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow thanks everyone for all the info i kept forgetting about ebay so im gona look for a lift and rims there thanks

Last edited:

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just did the 2" body lift on my '83 and it will handle 31" tires which is as big as i will go on it. i got the Summit web site and bought the PA kit. as mine is so old, i also got the poly body mounts an replaced all the old rubber mounts at the same time. money well spent. handles nice, rides nice, looks nice. :cool:

sniper141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV V6
Transmission
Automatic
MN, where bouts? I am originally from there, St. Cloud area, a little are called Luxemberg, 15 miles south of St. Cloud! Blink and miss it town. I have plans to get a 3" PA BL and do a 2" T-bar crank and stuff some 33s in 16s under there! Can't wait to get back to the states and get in my Ranger again!

RedComet6342

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so ive decided to buy the PA 3 inch body lift when i get the money to do so but i was wondering if the size tires i got now would look funny if i lift the truck, they are 255/70/r16, i just got the tires like 4 months ago so i dont want to get new ones already after buying new ones

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so ive decided to buy the PA 3 inch body lift when i get the money to do so but i was wondering if the size tires i got now would look funny if i lift the truck, they are 255/70/r16, i just got the tires like 4 months ago so i dont want to get new ones already after buying new ones
They will probably look too small. I had that same size on my 07 with 2" TT and they looked pretty goofy...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L v6
Transmission
Manual
Agreed, it would look kinda weird. Those are the same size tires I have on my stock bII except on 15" rims. But you might be able to find someone on here who needs a set of tires. :icon_confused: Just a thought

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals