• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

J Mod

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’ve had my 5.0 swapped Ranger for a while now & never knew what had been done to the transmission. It shifted pretty hard 1-2 so it was obvious something had been done. I bought a new valve body with the sonnax upgraded parts & proceeded to j mod it. I drilled the holes to .100 like the instructions said. I also removed the lower 1-2 spring & removed the 2-3 spring. Trans now actually shifts much softer on the 1-2. 2-3, 3-4, & downshifts have improved. I actually wish the 1-2 was firmer like before. It’s firmer than my stock 2000 mountaineer but it doesn’t chirp 2nd on a wot shift anymore. I need to take the plate out of the stock valve body & see what size holes it has. If you’re running a stock 4r70w I would highly suggest doing it as it is much improved.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have heard you can have too much of a good thing. Really hard shifting can be hard on the band connections, eventually snapping them.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I can buy that. I’m going to pull the valve body again. I believe I followed the instructions for a 98+ body so I didn’t address a few holes I should have. I would have been fine with a little easier 1-2 shift but I made it feel stock again. I have the old style pan so I’m going get a newer style with a drain plug. I’ll update after I pull it again.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
What's the source for your transmission? I've got an Explorer 5.0 trans in mine and never found a clear set of JMOD instructions for that valve body.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It’s a 96 explorer tranny. I bought a valve body off eBay. I too had read the truck valve bodies responded differently to the j mod. I also read where guys just modded the truck separator plate & it was fine.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I pulled the valve body back off this morning and the holes I didn’t drill are already the size they should be. The old valve body had a transgo gasket so I’m wondering if it has a transgo shift kit in it & that is where the difference is? Where do I go from here? I really just want the 1-2 shift firmer so do I drill that hole out a little larger? I did .10 but can step up to .125.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
no idea but i am going to follow along since we just did a transgo in my wrangler automatic but haven't gotten to actually drive it since it now won't start. stupid jeep

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Questions, questions, questions...

Finished up the 5.0 AWD swap on my 99 this past weekend and been driving it this week. The shifting has got to improve. Actually it may have this afternoon. after I think that I fixed a big vacuum leak between the throttle body and intake. Doesn;t make sense to me that fixing a vacuum leak in the intake would improve shifting, it definitely felt like it was shifting better. Maybe just a side affect of running better.

Anyhow more improvement would be better and have been skimming over the jmod and shift improvement stuff the last few days recently. Going to have questions.

First, you said you bought a valvebody off eBay. What application was it for? My trans is a 2000 AWD, but I've actually got a "spare" 1998 2wd transmission. I was thinking about using that valvebody as the basis of the modification then swapping it in once done. From what I've read those two transmissions should likely have the same valvebody.

Which Sonnax parts did you buy/use?

So first time around you drilled all the jmod holes to 0.100 inch? That gave improved shifting compared to the Mountaineer, but still soft?

I had others when I forst read your thread a few hours ago, but I can't recall what they were now.

Being an AWD setup I don't know that I want it to chirp second, if it were even able to. Gradual improvement is kind of the route I was figuring to take for the jmod. Minimum recommended sizes and see how it responds, with later upsize for particular shifts where/if desired.

Pretty sure this is going to happen in the near future. I've already got the larger pan 4wd pan and we added a drain plug while it was off. New fluid, filter, and gasket installed. As long as I can keep the fluid clean I should be set to drain, drop the pan, swap, and reassemble.

I guess my biggest hangup at moving forward with this are, can I use the '98 valvebody and what Sonnax (and/or other) parts do I need to order?

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you want to start off small you can pull the 1-2 bottom accumulator spring. If the pan’s off you don’t even have to drop the valve body for that. That might get you to where you want to be alone. The 00 valve body had many of the holes enlarged already & you probably don’t need to add the sonnax parts unless you just want to. If you have a spare valve body you can definitely do it so when you pull yours you can just swap them out. Mine with a .125 hole for 1-2, & .100 for 2-3, & 3-4 as well as bottom 1-2 spring & 2-3 spring removed shifts exactly how I want it to. It’s not even hard on the 1-2 unless you’re wot. But it’s a lot easier to enlarge a hole that shrink one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals