• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is my water pump bad???

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm. If you spray water through the hole in the intake where the thermostat usually is, where does it come out? You will probably have to spray a lot in.

i didnt take out the thermostat, it's located pretty much right above where the water pump goes. i changed it out a while back, hoping it would fix this problem.

there are 2 sides to the water pump that look like they run the length of the block. i sprayed water into the left side hole expecting it to come out the right side...eventually. but it never did. it's supposed to rain all day, so i cant work on it too much. i'm gonna look through my chiltons manual and the tech library and see if i can find out where it could clog.

i'm still tryin to get the engine fan off the old water pump, looks like it is rusted on.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Update

ok, i got the damn fan separated from the engine fan finally and got everything back in, still didnt change anything. so far, i've replaced the radiator cap and water pump and nothing has changed. the radiator doesnt seem to be clogged either.

HOWEVER, i left the car running and looked around the engine compartment and there is coolant slowly leaking (trickling) from the water outlet piece that connects to the upper radiator hose. the thermostat is located behind it. i noticed that it looked a little funny after i installed the new thermostat, but it seemed to run fine......i guess i was wrong though, so i'm gonna re-do the thermostat gasket and see if it helps.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
you mean the thermostat housing? You gotta clean those off good or they leak.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Leaking antifreeze won't affect how it runs until it's been overheated.

Clean the housing off and use a new gasket. Those rubber o-ring ones don't always seat properly...had the same thing happen before.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you mean the thermostat housing? You gotta clean those off good or they leak.

well yeah, i think. on autozone.com it is called the 'water outlet' it has 3 bolts that mount it on the engine block....thermostat is inside of it and the upper radiator hose connects to it.

i took it off again, pulled out the thermostat, reset the thermostat and then resealed everything and put everything back together. i'll see how it runs tomorrow.

i'm thinking that there is a clog somewhere in the block or i'm chasing the wrong thing and the coolant system isn't screwed up. whats happening is, i crank it up and it RPM's kind of high (around 2000-3000) and then goes down real quick to under 1000 and the check engine light comes on. doesnt shut off or anything, just idles really low and it drives just fine. doesnt overheat either.

:bawling::icon_confused::bawling::icon_confused:

Leaking antifreeze won't affect how it runs until it's been overheated.

Clean the housing off and use a new gasket. Those rubber o-ring ones don't always seat properly...had the same thing happen before.

i was thinking maybe i was getting a vacuum leak from the thermostat housing (water oultet) not being properly sealed. and now that i am thinking about it, it's kind of running like it would if one of the plug wires had come off, so i'll also check that tomorrow.

Last edited:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine does that stuff too. I think the 2.9 is crazy and posessed. I think I'll run mine till it blows, then replace it w a sane 4.0. Did u ever get ur new temp gauge and where did u mount it?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You should take it to Autozone or O'Reilly and have them read the codes since your check engine light comes on.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mine does that stuff too. I think the 2.9 is crazy and posessed. I think I'll run mine till it blows, then replace it w a sane 4.0. Did u ever get ur new temp gauge and where did u mount it?
i definitely am gonna run my 2.9 til it blows, i think it produces plenty of power for anything i'd ever need to do, esp. if you regear.
i looked at the temp gauges but i didnt get one yet. i wanna take care of the check engine light first.

You should take it to Autozone or O'Reilly and have them read the codes since your check engine light comes on.
yeah, i'm gonna do that today after i check all that other crap that i've already mentioned.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They told me at my autozone they couldn't read codes on anything b4 like 94 or something. I had to get a friend bring a code reader from his shop to do my 92 F 150. If they can go for it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
sweet!!!! :bawling: guess i'm gonna have to figure something else out then. nothing has changed, plug wires are good, thermostat is back in and isnt leaking anymore. any ideas where to go next? dont really have the dough to take it to my shop.

again, here's what is happening now:
cranks right up, RPM's up around 1500-2000 and then drops suddenly to 800 RPM's and the check engine light comes on. it will drive just fine while it's doing this, just idles really low.:icon_confused:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Put a piece of black tape over ur CEL. If that doesn't work, replace it with a smiley face sticker and turn ur radio up.:icon_thumby:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Put a piece of black tape over ur CEL. If that doesn't work, replace it with a smiley face sticker and turn ur radio up.:icon_thumby:

i'll keep that in mind

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its frustrating as hell, since mine started doing the bogging down thing, I'm getting a lot less mpg. Not too worried bout it, then again the way the weather has been lately, I can't even work on it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Its frustrating as hell, since mine started doing the bogging down thing, I'm getting a lot less mpg. Not too worried bout it, then again the way the weather has been lately, I can't even work on it.
oh yes, it is frustrating. my mpg was shot before this crap started happening. i do have some good news though, my radiator now has pressure, so the water pump may have actually been no good, so i'm happy about that....just pissed that it wasnt causing this other problem. think its time for a new thread.

plus, to make matters even worse, my DD exploder needs a new muffler, new shocks, state inspection and my steering is acting up. :bawling: this has started out an awful week.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It rocks not having state inspections. Plus its only 21 bucks to tag my truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals