• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is my water pump bad???

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The water pump is only like 30 bucks, if u've had it along time, its possible that its wore out. My impeller on mine had fell off the shaft. The bearing were good still. took a couple of hours to fix. Change it and report back. It can't hurt.

yeah i found one at autozone for $23 and $47. the $47 one has a lifetime warranty and the $23 only a year. I last had my water pump changed in august of 2000 i believe. so it could be bad, plus i just got it running at the end of last year and before that, it had been sitting for 8 or 9 months.

before i do that, today i went and undid the lower hose where it connects to the water pump and fluid did spew out when i did that. plus, i dont have any water in my oil. so i'm thinking it isnt my water pump right now.

the radiator cap feels like it's not sealing completely. i can wiggle it around quite a bit when it is screwed onto the radiator. a new cap is $5, so i'm gonna try that first and then take out the radiator and test it with the garden hose if that dont fix it, then if i dont find a clog in the radiator i'll replace the water pump.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
a bad water pump won't put water in your oil, I'm not sure where you got that misguided idea.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
a bad water pump won't put water in your oil, I'm not sure where you got that misguided idea.
my oil was almost complete milk the last time my water pump went out

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the point of that was if he overheated it, it could of cracked a head, hence the loss of water

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I think the point of that was if he overheated it, it could of cracked a head, hence the loss of water

well now that i think about it, i did crack a head gasket sometime during high school, so i could be misremembering that my water pump went out. i'd have to dig through my receipts. but i def remember popping the oil cap and having a bunch of water in it.

anyways, i tried a new radiator cap, didnt help. i got the radiator out and i'm gonna see if it's clogged.

whilst i have everyone's attention, my engine temp gauge isn't working either. its always below the 'C' - indicating to me that it isnt working at all. that entire left side of the cluster has been been replaced a few years back because the tach was broken. anyone else had this happen?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Definitely get an aftermarket temp gauge, I don't trust mine either. Think I might replace that this weekend. Just where o where to mount it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Definitely get an aftermarket temp gauge, I don't trust mine either. Think I might replace that this weekend. Just where o where to mount it.
i thought about that, what kind are you gonna get? i need anything fancy, just something that tells me hot, normal or cold. put up some pics if you wouldnt mind

PROGRESS:

well i just cleaned out the radiator, i dont think it is clogged. water was pouring out of it every which way even while i was turning it as i shot water through it.
both of the radiator hoses are fine, no leaks, no cracks and no clogs. :bawling:
it did need cleaning out though, so i'm glad i did it.

tonight, i'm gonna through my chiltons manual and my binder of receipts from all the work thats been done on the car. my dad cant remember if the water pump has ever been changed and i cant either, so i'll see if i can find a receipt. if not, i guess i'll just change out the damn thing and see if that works. i'm thinking the impeller has gone out and it isnt circulating the coolant which is why the lower hose is always cold and there isnt any pressure.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i thought about that, what kind are you gonna get? i need anything fancy, just something that tells me hot, normal or cold. put up some pics if you wouldnt mind

i'm thinking the impeller has gone out and it isnt circulating the coolant which is why the lower hose is always cold and there isnt any pressure.
I was just thinking a cheap one from the zone.

Like I said b4, the impeller had come loose on mine, it was still there and not doing anything. I just got the 1 year one and its still working for well over a year.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was just thinking a cheap one from the zone.

Like I said b4, the impeller had come loose on mine, it was still there and not doing anything. I just got the 1 year one and its still working for well over a year.
gotcha, i'm gonna take a look at the gauges tomorrow when i go get a new water pump, hopefully this will fix it.......

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Well at least now your radiator is cleaned out.

I agree, water pump is next.

While you have everything apart, flush out your heater core too. They are like a magnet for every little piece of crap that floats around in your coolant.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok, i just spent almost the whole day f*cking with my BII. I got a new water pump and new belts today, the old ones were severely cracked.

i could not for the life of me get the damn engine fan off. it's reverse(left hand) threaded and is quite a bitch to remove. i ended up taking the entire water pump and engine fan off together and i'm gonna try to take it apart in my vise.

so i went ahead and scraped off the old gasket and cleaned up around where the new water pump will go. the old w. pump feels like it was working ok. it still turns and doesnt feel like any of the bearings are bad.

since i thought the w pump may still be good, i decided to try and squirt some water through the block. there's 2 holes on each side where the water pump goes that run the length of the block (i'm guessing) when i squirted the water in there, it didnt come out the other hole like i thought it might. am i wrong about that? if not, i'm thinking maybe there's a clog somewhere in the block. can that happen? how do i fix it, get it flushed?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are ur freeze plugs ok? They could be leaking there. Just throwing it out there.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are ur freeze plugs ok? They could be leaking there. Just throwing it out there.
dont think so, i'll have to look closer, but i havent noticed anything leaking

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
1) upper rad hose gets hot because it has hot coolant flowing through it (assuming everything is working properly), that has nothing to do with the valve covers getting hot.

2) The t-stat on the 2.9 is NOT on the bottom of the engine. It sits in the front of the lower intake.

3) Ford only has 1 engine that has a lower-hose t-stat, and that is the 2.3L Fusion engine.
Actually the 2.8 had a low mounted T-stat, but the 2.9 DOES NOT.

AD

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Hmm. If you spray water through the hole in the intake where the thermostat usually is, where does it come out? You will probably have to spray a lot in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals