• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inspection Plate In Between Block and Trans

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
I was rushing to get my new clutch in and forgot to put the inspection plate in. The Starte. is grinding everytime I start the truck. Does that plate act as a shim or guidance for alignment of the starter? I haven't had a chance to look at the flywheel yet, but im not sure if I should try to shim the starter with washers or if it will even help at all..

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry about your luck..... Inspection plate is what locates the starter. :sad:

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Shiming it wont help? Is it in too deep or out too far, or is it not lined up side to side

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Try what you want to, do what you think will work, but bottom line is that they didn't put it there because they felt like it. :dunno: Will have to let us know what you end up doing. :icon_cheers: Part of the learning experience. I've done worse, I am sure.

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
So ill probably end up having to take the trans back out?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd probably suck it up and do it. I tried to replace a rear main in a front wheel drive car on a bad crank and had to do it over again... Wasn't easy, but doesn't leak and now I am happy because I have a car that doesn't leave oil slicks everywhere I go lol. Shit happens.

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
Theoretically I don't see how the plate lines up the starter being as the bolts will only go in one way. Ill try spacing it with washers first and post back

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
i shimmed it and it got a little better, the starter is still grinding though

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep the bolts go in only way and just hold the starter in place. It's the hole in the block plate that help locate it. You can shim it, use washers but it the bolts shift, back to the grinding. You are surely not in the first 50 that have forgotten to use the block plate. Like Pete said "Suck it up and do it Right".
Dave of the Nord

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Despite my frequent rants about the piss poor arrangement of parts on cars I have seldom found an actual unnecessary part.

You need the block plate for more than just locating the starter. I also shields the lower portion of the flywheel from damage from road debris.

Drop the d-shafts, pull out the shifter and the bell bolts, slide the trans back an inch or so, and slip the sucker up in there. It's not that terrible really.

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
now im more worried about the fact that the flywheel and starter gear are a bit worn...at this point i might have to pull the trans all the way and replace both the flywheel and the starter.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
the plate should have a gap to get it around the crank. Do what adsm said. just remove the bolts from the trany and slide it back an inch or so. If you plate does not have a gap cut one.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the plate should have a gap to get it around the crank. Do what adsm said. just remove the bolts from the trany and slide it back an inch or so. If you plate does not have a gap cut one.
Oh the 2.9 plates have a gap. I have personally had mine fall off several times while in the process of putting the trans back up. :annoyed::annoyed:

djk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 ltr.
Transmission
Manual
ya luckily for me when i did my tranny swap, that plate was secure somehow towards the top(probably by gunk buildup or something). so i was lucky because i could see myself forgetting that too, good luck though, how long have you been using it without it? Because if it's only been a small amount of time i couldn't imagine too much damage being done. my dads car had his starter grinding on the flywheel for a decently long time because of alignment but when it was checked the damage wasn't even seen. but that's also a whole different vehicle so idk

HondaEater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9
Transmission
Manual
II haven't been driving it because I need to do the front brakes. My buddy is telling me I don't need it, that he's always taken the plates out and never had a starter alignment issue. Im wondering if the starter is bad because the starter gear looks as if its throwing out way too far. Should I try another starter or will it **** that starter up too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals