• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

IDLE Air Control valve

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i removed it and cleaned it. The engine still bogged and the idle went down slightly. Im going to replace it. If that doesnt fix this problem can not having a barometric pressure sensor do it? i dont even have one. When the previous owner did a motor swap he forgot to put it in.
First time I hear about a 4.0 using a barometric pressure sensor... I thought that was calculated by the MAF sensor output? Someone else will have to chip in on this one.

So when you replaced the MAF, did you replace it with a new unit? Did you test the old one?

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didnt replace it i cleaned it. And it didnt do crap. When i went to pullapart i got the wrong unit so i didnt bother.

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I didnt replace it i cleaned it. And it didnt do crap. When i went to pullapart i got the wrong unit so i didnt bother.
A while ago there was this guy that had the same over-revving problem and he went replacing everything around the MAF and cleaning the thing like a thousand times until he replaced it. Problem solved... Do a little search in the forum you'll find it in there about a year ago.

If you happen to have a friend with a 4.0 check and swap the MAFs and see if you fix your problem/replicate it in your friend's engine. OR just get a junkyard one and see if you have any luck with that.

I'd still change that IAC btw, too many miles on it to be trusted

Last edited:

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh you saw my tachometer ha? i had a swap at hundred thousand miles that motor in it now has 80 thousand on it. And thanks for the advace i will pick up a junkyard one this weekend. Ill get a mafs and a iacm.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
there is no baro pressure sensor on the 4.0, it uses the maf for the info it needs. you either get one or the other unless you have a tbird supercoupe which has both

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
oh you saw my tachometer ha? i had a swap at hundred thousand miles that motor in it now has 80 thousand on it. And thanks for the advace i will pick up a junkyard one this weekend. Ill get a mafs and a iacm.
I would recommend a brand new IAC since it's a moving part that builds carbon deposits, which are the ones that makes it get stuck with time... That's my .02, You might end up where you started with a junk yard unit.

The MAF, though, that's a safest bet as long as the screws in the sensor box look untouched and the small wires are not bent or damaged.

Lift

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
MAFs looks good. Ill check it all out when this crappy weather is gone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals