• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I MAY have exceeded the payload

NoBoundaries

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
yes they have red light cameras in calgary but if you know where they are then you dont have to worry about it to much

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thats y i invested in a good pair of helper leafs :icon_thumby:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do they have red light cameras around your way?
what he said \/ \/ though it's kinda creepy he's stalking me

yes they have red light cameras in calgary but if you know where they are then you dont have to worry about it to much
yeap, but what i worry about is the speed on green cameras, i don't blow many red lights, unless i'm sleeping while driving again...

how did you know where i live, btw? and you should add yourself to the TRS banner across north america map! it's coming our way, and heading north through red deer from calgary!

svt_gEEk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Truck is still running fine. Did some major landscaping last weekend and hauled 4 seperate loads of top soil, sand, and mulch. I noticed someone said it was probably only around 1,500 pounds or so that was in the bed of the truck. I had 105 of the blocksin the bed on a pallet. Each block weighs between 27 pounds. You guys do the math. These Rangers are champs.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
When I was a kid we had an F100 (1/2 ton) and accidently had 3000 lbs of gravel loaded in it. I managed to repeat the event years later with my dad's Nissan hardbody p/u by putting an estimate 1800 to 2000 in its bed. Just don't let me around gravel with a pickup and all will be safe.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
bah, just don't drive fast or ride the clutch, and you'll be fine!

my roommate's air suspension compressor in his x5 hasn't been working for like 2 weeks, so the air shocks are flat, and he's riding on bumpstops, hasn't stopped him lol

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i did wonder if i floored it in 1st if i could pull a wheelie. but then, what if the front end stayed up and didnt go down?
Then you put it in reverse and floor it to bring it back down. (Just don't jackknife the trailer):icon_thumby:

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
If your drive shaft normally slants downward, like if your trans is higher than your diff, you have to be careful with loading the truck if it squats. Due to that angle of the drive-shaft, when your truck is squatting, the drive shaft pushes too far into the tail stock of the trans, and operating it like that for too long will tear up your trans.

But I've hauled pretty heavy loads in mine and never had a problem. The reason is because my ranger's suspension is bone-stock and my drive shaft normally sits near horizontal, which doesn't cause much of a geometry problem when it's squatting.

Here's a photo of my heaviest (axle) load. I've towed more weight, but never had this much on the axle. Based on the truck's performance on this particular trip though, on a hot, muggy day, I decided not to do any more towing until I get the truck set up with it's stock axle ratio, which is supposed to be a 7.5" 3.45 but I've got an 8.8 inch mystery axle with (I think) a 3.08 ratio in there. It says 55 mph when my GPS says 64 mph. (Long story behind that axle mis-match.)

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3.08 are retarded gears for a truck... 3.08 were usually found as high gears in mustangs (though they also did have 2.73's

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
3.08 are retarded gears for a truck... 3.08 were usually found as high gears in mustangs (though they also did have 2.73's
Dude you're preachin' to the choir. It totally sucks. But it'll still pull my camper.... ok. I want to put a 3.73 in it, then upgrade to 15" tires to compensate. I spent a few hrs last night calculatin' and figurin' and figured out that if I can get a set of 235/70R15 tires on it with a 3.73 axle, it would be the same overall ratio as if I had my stock setup with the 3.45 axle and 215/70R14 tires. However, when I'm towing my camper or something heavy, I can put my 14's back on and have it geared down. With my stock tires but the 3.73 rear end, my speedometer will read 70 mph when I'm only going 64.75 mph. That would be even better than stock for towing.

And I think I might've located a 4.0 engine in Iowa, ... if there was some way I could haul it in my 18 wheeler without putting it inside the food-grade sealed trailer. (Hang it from chains below the trailer belly? I'm sure the cops would love that!)

Corradi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
relax guy!!! here in Brazil, is normal we put more than 1 ton in the Rangers. And they go ok! no one problem...

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
tonka, do you mean 15" rims? that won't actually do much for compensation...

Coraddi, your ranger is completely different than ours, you've got the global ranger, which looks like this... (98-2002)

and this is ours, (98-2002 [same generation is being used currently, but the front end looks different])

i haven't done any major digging as to specs and such, it's fairly difficult to filter out all of the north american data, to get brazil spesific stuff from here, but i believe your load capacity is significantly higher, and your axles are stronger, looking at the pictures above alone, you will notice the global has 6 lug rims, where as the north american ranger has 5... even our 1/2 ton full size trucks don't typically have 6 lug...

Last edited:

Tonka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
tonka, do you mean 15" rims? that won't actually do much for compensation...
Screw it, junkyard only had 3.08's and 3.45's to choose from so I grabbed the only good 3.45 they had. I wasn't about to start cruising all over the Chicago area... I know my truck will pull the camper better with it's stock axle ratio, which was a 3.45. It pulled it ... acceptably... with the 3.08 but it's hard on it. And unless I wanted to floor it, I'd lose speed on the slightest incline like an 18 wheeler. I just wanta be able to make at least one trip to southern IL with my camper this summer, and use my dad's empty 25 foot enclosed airplane trailer to move my girlfriend's stuff out of her apartment so she can quit paying rent on an apartment she's never in. My F-150 won't pull #### without it's "super tough, shift-kit, can handle a big block" piece of #### AOD trans slipping.

My stock axle is a 3.45 ratio, 7.5" open diff and that's what I'm putting on it. In a few min. I'm heading to Autozone to get new U-bolts and since it's leaking oil all over the place, a new diff cover gasket. I got all 6 U-bolts off without using the torch, but I got sick last night when I had no choice but to make a disgusting, stinky mess torching off the junkyard axle's shocks. I got the nuts off, but the bolt wouldn't come out, even when I was hammering on them. Both sides was like that. The fumes from the burning rubber, oil from the shocks, and burning grass made me feel sick so I said F*** it for the day.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
make sure to get RTV at the same time, you don't need a diff gasket, most people just use RTV, personally, i would use both... next time i do my fluid, the gasket i just got will go on, and RTV to hold it in place... just a little now...

so that's a 3.45 8.8 you said? l/s?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 3.73 Ranger axle I'll trade you for whatever Ranger axle you have, if you come down and get it. We'll need to take it out of my pickup trailer. I can't gaurentee the condition of the brake cables so you'll need to tkae that type of stuff out of your own axle, but the axle itself is good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals