• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I think I MAY have exceeded the payload

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
unpimp ze auto

garyl

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 4 banger
Transmission
Automatic
Nah, thats a handyman lowrider.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
If 2500lbs of weight is properly distributed across a trailer to ensure that the tongue weight doesn't exceed the max limit (I believe 500lbs?) Then I don't see any problem in pulling a load like that for a very short distance at low speeds. Of course it would also help if the trailer has brakes.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
if anything the rear axle was on the bumpstops, i pulled a trailer once that was loaded with oak firewood, squatted my rear axle to the bumpstops, gave the front axle some lift. only problem was stopping, because i had transfered weight off the front axle, it would lock and slide the front tires trying to stop. only pulled this load from one end of town to the other. in 4L with the front hubs unlocked. felt like i was driving a big truck, rev,shift,rev,shift,rev,shift. i did wonder if i floored it in 1st if i could pull a wheelie. but then, what if the front end stayed up and didnt go down?

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
TOTALLY woulda been worth it! you shoulda done it!!!!

your braking issue, what you mentioned about the front locking up, is why trucks are so hard to set brakes up on, to begin with, because unloaded the back has no weight on them, but loaded, 90% of the weight is on the back... best to downshift to stop you, unless you have ABS, which SHOULD make sure the fronts keep turning, and all power SHOULD go to the rear, though, i've never tried it, so i can't say for sure

CountryBoy78

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
At least the roads were dry .........imagine if it was raining and you tried to stop:icon_surprised:

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that ^ would have ended badly, but i have towed another ranger on a uhaul tow dolly with mine before...my leafs were curved in the wrong direction :headbang:
but the old ranger perked right back up again and has been fine since so I wouldnt worry too much, not saying I would ever try that again though

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i was just as careful as if it was snowy out, yeah, if i were to do that again, id have borrowed my dads 3/4 ton truck, and some of the wood would have gone in the truck. it felt like i was on a wet road when i had a light change on me and i had to hit the brakes hard.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when you are towing loads like that, in ANY vehicle, you should be more inclined to try to speed up to make it into the intersection, before it goes green for the other people, instead of trying to stop in next to no distance...

if you watch, a lot of professional semi truck drivers will do it when they are loaded up, i was on a double length bus (turn table in the middle) that was FULL of passengers, and even the bus driver did it, i was chatting with him at the time, he paused and said casually, "with this many people on the bus, i'm running that light whither i want to or not, the difference is if i want to be in there before other traffic starts going, or after, and of course, stopping in the middle of the intersection...

here in calgary, there is a 5 second yellow light, followed by a 2-3 second pause with all lights red, that gives you a lot of time to floor it to get through, if you can't get through in that time, then you have more than enough time to stop...

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when you are towing loads like that, in ANY vehicle, you should be more inclined to try to speed up to make it into the intersection, before it goes green for the other people, instead of trying to stop in next to no distance...

if you watch, a lot of professional semi truck drivers will do it when they are loaded up, i was on a double length bus (turn table in the middle) that was FULL of passengers, and even the bus driver did it, i was chatting with him at the time, he paused and said casually, "with this many people on the bus, i'm running that light whither i want to or not, the difference is if i want to be in there before other traffic starts going, or after, and of course, stopping in the middle of the intersection...

here in calgary, there is a 5 second yellow light, followed by a 2-3 second pause with all lights red, that gives you a lot of time to floor it to get through, if you can't get through in that time, then you have more than enough time to stop...
Our lights aren't that long around here, and our cops will tell you that if you can't slow down in the allotted time, you're driving too fast.

Not that I disagree with you.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tell them slowing down is called "impeding traffic" lol

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Here's another beauty:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals