• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Howdy Ranger fans. New member here.

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I found your forum while searching for a way to calibrate the electronic Speedometer/odometer on my '09 ranger. I changed the gear ratio for better mileage and I expected to be able to re-calibrate the speedo/od to reflect the change, but so far no go. My previous truck was a '96 Ranger. On it I used a "Superlift TruSpeed" calibrator with no problems! Had the accuracy down to around a mile and a half in 100. On my '09 I've tried a Jet "AccuSpeed", a "Yellow Box" Calibrator, a UNIVERSAL SPEEDO SPEEDOMETER CORRECTOR CALIBRATOR, I bought on Ebay, I've tried using an SCT Scanner - and it did correct some of the problem, I've tried the "push/hold the trip/odometer button trick, I even tried a TruSpeed module - even though they quit making them before my truck was built! Nothing worked! My local ford dealer tells me they don't have the equipment to do the job. I'm only about 4-5mph off and it probably isn't that big of a deal. But at this point it has become about the principal of it! I could do it on my '96 and if it can't be done on my '09 I'm selling it for an earlier model that will let me do it. Does anyone know of a device that I can use to tune my Ranger to get accurate MPH/odometer readings? Is it not possible to do this to '09 Ford Rangers?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
In this link, Forscan may do it. Forscan is a free scanner program for Fords. You do need a cable for your laptop, and then you just download the program. If you pay a fee, you can do keys also. I have never used Forscan, and I have heard rumors it's a little complex and takes awhile to figure out. But it might do what you want and if you get good at it, you can use it for all your Ford vehicles.

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I looked into that but it looks to be way over my head. Not to mention, I don't have a laptop - or a smart phone, for that matter. My tire size is OEM. It's the gears I've changed.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One guy posted a bunch of different gears, each ratio being a different color.
After crunching the numbers on the drive train you just swap out the speedo gear in the gearbox

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Wait... don't trucks that new get their mph info via wheel speed sensors?

Pretty sure when I swapped from 3.73s to 4.11s in my 2010 my speedo wasn't affected.. that truck DID however always say I was going 3-4mph FASTER than actual speed until I went to a bigger diameter tire.

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Pretty sure when I swapped from 3.73s to 4.11s in my 2010 my speedo wasn't affected.. that truck DID however always say I was going 3-4mph FASTER than actual speed until I went to a bigger diameter tire.
I've read it comes from the OSS - output shaft speed sensor, or the ABS Sensor, or the rear axle speed sensor. I've tried each of those with no luck! I haven't tried the wss. But I haven't read anything to indicate they are the source. I'm thinking that larger dia. tires might do the job?

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
One guy posted a bunch of different gears, each ratio being a different color.
After crunching the numbers on the drive train you just swap out the speedo gear in the gearbox
Its an automatic. No speedo gear. All electronic.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I've read it comes from the OSS - output shaft speed sensor, or the ABS Sensor, or the rear axle speed sensor. I've tried each of those with no luck! I haven't tried the wss. But I haven't read anything to indicate they are the source. I'm thinking that larger dia. tires might do the job?
Larger tires certainly will not help fuel mileage.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On my 93 I went from the factory 265s to 235s as the 265s were wearing down and the 265s were so much higher
According to my searches on major tire mnf's websites, concerning tech specs, it came down to a 7% decrease in mileage w/ an equal increase in BHP
My tire size downgrade was due to convenience, tire prices, and a financial situation but I would not choose to reverse it now for any reason

I also noticed no sizable change in mileage, which I record at every gas up

The primary reason I can see to retain the 265 would be road traction with excessively heavier loads, and much deeper pockets ;)

Last edited:

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On my 93 I went from the factory 265s to 235s as the 265s were wearing down and the 265s were so much higher
According to my searches on major tire mnf's websites, concerning tech specs, it came down to a 7% decrease in mileage w/ an equal increase in BHP
My tire size downgrade was due to convenience, tire prices, and a financial situation but I would not choose to reverse it now for any reason

I also noticed no sizable change in mileage, which I record at every gas up

The primary reason I can see to retain the 265 would be road traction with excessively heavier loads, and much deeper pockets ;)
My idea, if i can't calibrate the Speedo/odo any other way, is to go from my present 235x75x15 to something with a bit larger circumference - figuring they will roll farther per revolution and get me closer to speedo/odo accuracy! The gear change netted me an average 3-4 MPG increase - or around 40-60 more miles per tank full. I'll sacrifice a "few" of those miles for speedometer odometer accuracy! But I'd rather find a way to calibrate and keep stock tire size.

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

My swap definately affected speedo/odo readings

Reactions: gaz

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Larger tires certainly will not help fuel mileage.
My gear change netted me a 3-4 MPG increase - and little loss of HP that I can tell. I'll sacrifice a bit of that for guage accuracy.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How do you figure your MPG if the speedo is off?

The best way I know is use the mile markers on a highway over at least ten miles, that can somewhat accurately give you an equation to use in figuring

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
How do you figure your MPG if the speedo is off?

The best way I know is use the mile markers on a highway over at least ten miles, that can somewhat accurately give you an equation to use in figuring

2009 ranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a GPS that measures miles and speed. But I'd prefer the gauges did it. The GPS only stores trip miles if I leave it plugged in, which is a drain on the battery.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals