• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

heres my link setup

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking:

captured coils

haha
eh, not really a big deal, alot of jeeps run that way. I would just limit strap that to stop the axle right as the coil becomes unseated.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
eh, not really a big deal, alot of jeeps run that way. I would just limit strap that to stop the axle right as the coil becomes unseated.
yeah im not sure how well these springs would stretch, if any so i went with the drop out setup, i let them drop out/down about 6", seems to work fine, but i also dont jump this thing or i would def not have it like that...

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
yeah im not sure how well these springs would stretch, if any so i went with the drop out setup, i let them drop out/down about 6", seems to work fine, but i also dont jump this thing or i would def not have it like that...
Its been nearly 5years since I left Washington wheeling, but in my opinion, for what its worth to you..... Super flexy/floppy suspensions like what you have suck offroad. I'm talking about from a Crawlers standpoint. Its just too much, and unstable. Looks good in a picture, but has poor handling.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah wheelin in washington sucks, at least the part i was from, but weirdly its prety stable, looking at the pictures of it flexed out it looks so redicioulous because that coil is droped out so far without the limiting strap on letin the tires stay on the ground, yeah it leans a little in the corners but the handleing is fine, i can keep up with my buddys fullwidth ranger with no lift and 42" iroks when were just tearin up the gravel roads.. hes 4" lower than i am. the only problem i have is steering, i bought the trail gear hydro assist and i got the big ram thinking it would be better, nope !! yeah it will turn through anything but its a little slow, i called psc and some other places and valving or pully changes wont fix it, its the IFS toyota box, wont flow enough grrrr, i got to get the next size down ram, i know someone with that one, same pump and its quick as shit.. :)

and yeah i know theres some little thing to fix change and modifie, but it drives wheels and keeps up with alot of other rigs... :D

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
ok question for you. on my TTB i need to throw on some coil spring retainers. but with the talk of limiting straps and captured coils it got me thinking.

what if i was to build a "captured coil" setup for mine. that way i don't hinder my down travel with these skyjacker coils

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what if i was to build a "captured coil" setup for mine. that way i don't hinder my down travel with these skyjacker coils
What if?

captured coils will hinder down travel. They're the same thing as coil retainers. AKA J hook, u-bolt, plate, etc.

A lot of guys go the 'drop out coil' deal, I'm just not a fan. It creates too much articulation IMO. If your suspension's not working how you like with retainers top and bottom, then you need different coils.

Not hatin on your rig at all RUTH. Its definitely sick, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Just my opinion.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no worry bray d, its just all a trial and error progress to get get it perfect, where i was from in Washington the best wheeling we got was in the snow, that's why i ended up with bigger tires than i wanted, they float a little better, but i didn't intend to build a big flex machine, it just sorta happened trying to buy quality parts and doing it right, now being closer to some good rock crawling and trails, i want to def. experiment with different options, first will be to capture the coil at the top, im just curious to see how the will stretch, these coils are fine for the rig though, a lot of people have used them it seems... i do a lot of scale rc crawling and doin stuff and experimenting with those, having alot of flex is not always the key to make through something...

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
What if?

captured coils will hinder down travel. They're the same thing as coil retainers. AKA J hook, u-bolt, plate, etc.

A lot of guys go the 'drop out coil' deal, I'm just not a fan. It creates too much articulation IMO. If your suspension's not working how you like with retainers top and bottom, then you need different coils.

Not hatin on your rig at all RUTH. Its definitely sick, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Just my opinion.
ohh ok, i have my terms incorrect. the drop out coil deal was what i was thinking bray d. i planned on making J hooks and keeping the top of the coil mounted to the bucket at all times. but i feel that even my skyjackers won't flex like i want it too.

i'm not sure i like the idea of having the coil's drop out either, however, if the bottom of the coil is retained like they did stock. and the top is forced to seat correctly every time your wheel goes from full droop to ride height, then tech it will work correct? anything else i'm missing here?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it'll work fine. There's nothing wrong with his rig as long as there's limit straps to keep joints from binding/brake lines from stretching. I've got long ass bumpstops inside my coils, and could allow mine to drop out as well, I just like having the spring slow down the axle before the limit straps take over when I do air out the front end.

RUTH - if you want, toss a J hook on em for kicks just to see how it handles on the trail. I think you'll be surprised how much coils stretch. Mine do pretty good anyways.

Scale RC is badass. I got my first crawler around Christmas time last year, built it over the winter, and have been having a blast. Its a Venom I know I know - but it does fairly well. Rockin the Tekin 45T motor with FXR ESC, Hitec 333 oz-in steering servo, CC BEC, and Rovers. I love it.

Ok enough with the hi-jack :D

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:threadjacked::bsflag: lol j/k i dont think its been jacked .. just more usable info for people.. and yeah ill def throw some retainers on the top when i get a chance, i just relocated to nevada so its prolly going to be a few months before i even get to work on it which bums me out, got alot to do with the GF and job search, hence why im alway on the computer now... i have no shop.....:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

and sweet venom, keep buildin it up.. heres another i built, full tuber, i built the frame, cage, links everything... way to many hrs but whatever.. :)

and took this about 5 min ago lol

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can't help but ask, where are you from? Looks like NY, but probably not because the landscape is way too beautiful. If it was our mountains in the picture with your girl the first two would have blocked the rest. Yet yours are more of a rolling hill. Very nice landscape wherever you are.

Eddie85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would like to know more about how you got that cold air intake to work for that 4.0. What year is the 4.0 and how did you install the MAF with two intakes?

Louis K

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thats really sick man. props

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals