• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help setting up carb....???

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If your jets are .65 or larger I would say your safe to drive it. Because your 30 over maybe you can figure the percentage of cubic displacement higher and ad the same percentage to the .65. You can also run a little rich on the idle air screws if your worried. That carb came out of the box plug and play If your vacuum is good work it. I put a carb on my 2.8 that has .46 jets and the book says .48-.50 and she runs just fine but I never red line it. If your not running 5-6 k WOT for extended periods give it a shot.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mine is thr same way so should I just drive it or what but I don't want to screw my motor up
It takes a lot to screw up an engine. If after you've driven it 50 miles and your plugs still look like new, it'll be fine. My plugs have looked like that for 4 years now. A cold hesitation is normal with a carbed motor. If you got in mine and drove it after it's warmed up, you'd never guess it had a carb, unless I told you. If it starts easy, has a good idle and performs like you want it to once it's warmed up, drive it and enjoy it. That's what you built it for isn't it ? From what I gather from this thread, you've suffering from TMI here. Drive it, tinker with it when you have time and otherwise don't worry about it doing something it's not likely to do. Cross those bridges when you come to em.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I jump up a couple jet sizes do I need to jet the secondaries the same also. I think I have a 65 in primaries so if I jump to a 68 then do I need to jump up 3 sizes on the secondaries also....

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If I jump up a couple jet sizes do I need to jet the secondaries the same also. I think I have a 65 in primaries so if I jump to a 68 then do I need to jump up 3 sizes on the secondaries also....
No.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I think I'm gonna jet up a few sizes on the primaries, because I worked on my uncles 81 f150 this past weekend. He has a carb 302 in it with an autolite 2 barrel and I pulled 2 spark plugs on it and they were a light toasty brown, so I must be too lean cuz he has color in his plugs and is running the same fuel I am....

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Are all your vac ports used and/or plugged?? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? That 670 really shouldn't giving you this much trouble especially right out of the box. Should have been able to drop that puppy on there, set the idles and run it. Like Baddad was saying, once a carbed motor is warmed up, you shouldn't have any issues with it if it is tuned correctly (mine has no choke on the Demon). Also just a tid bit of info, if you go changing jets, you cannot compare a Holley number with the same number of another manufacturer's jet. Normally there's a chart that comes with jet kits.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea I bought a holley jet kit, so the numbers are sized the same as the jets in the carb. But the truck is running almost 100% but I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get any color on my plugs when my uncles 81 f150 with a 302 has light toasty brown plugs in it.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yea I bought a holley jet kit, so the numbers are sized the same as the jets in the carb. But the truck is running almost 100% but I'm just trying to figure out why I can't get any color on my plugs when my uncles 81 f150 with a 302 has light toasty brown plugs in it.
If you're happy with the way it performs, leave the jets alone. Different brands of fuel have a lot to do with plug color as well.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I`m just wondering if the plugs your using are making the difference what kind of plugs is your uncle burning in his 302.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will take a look, but I know I am running a set of autolite platinum plugs and the two I put in to check for color are regular champion plugs

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer autolite single platinum and have never had one foul. Most TRS members recommend motorcraft but with your ignition system not being stock maybe the manufacturer has some recomendations on the proper heat range for your engine.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I use the plane jane Autolites and they last forever with a good ignition. The ones in my Ranger are about 4 years old now and still look like new. Platinums are a waste of money. Champions ? You don't want to know my opinion of them.:icon_rofl::thefinger:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
+1 on your opinion on champion plugs never had any luck with them.

ford1386

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know champion plugs are a piece of crap but I figured if I'm gonna put a couple plugs in just to read color I'd just buy cheap ones but I'm not seeing a color change in them. But the ar134 plugs that have been in the motor since the rebuild are black but the 2 new champion plugs won't change color.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals