• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hearing some interesting rumors around the dealerships about the new Bronco

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The Jeep dealer right by my house has had a white Gladiator sitting right out front for close to a month now. I'd say those aren't flying off the lot as fast as they get them. Also... this area has a HUGE Jeep following. They are everywhere!

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The issue is everyone wants a badass off road beast straight from the factory when in all reality we don't ever leave shit factory. We get the Sawzall and welder and go to town. Who cares if it didn't come with lockers or the wheels you like. Be like 80% of the real off roaders and but a 10-20 yr old 4wd and customize it for your needs. You've never seen a bunch of TRS2 look-alikes at the ford dealer lately have you?? Oh, that's right because they build them like that from the factory, Jim built that from his own needs and wants. Moral of the story is the most badass off road capable vehicles aren't the ones you buy from the dealer but the ones you build up from nothing. If ford was smart they would focus on the aftermarket products like chevy has with the LS motors.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The issue is everyone wants a badass off road beast straight from the factory when in all reality we don't ever leave shit factory. We get the Sawzall and welder and go to town. Who cares if it didn't come with lockers or the wheels you like. Be like 80% of the real off roaders and but a 10-20 yr old 4wd and customize it for your needs. You've never seen a bunch of TRS2 look-alikes at the ford dealer lately have you?? Oh, that's right because they build them like that from the factory, Jim built that from his own needs and wants. Moral of the story is the most badass off road capable vehicles aren't the ones you buy from the dealer but the ones you build up from nothing. If ford was smart they would focus on the aftermarket products like chevy has with the LS motors.
That isn't what I want...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Face it...by 2020 the only car Ford will be making will be the Mustang.
They HAD to introduce something "new" to keep Ford lovers happy.
Enter the "new" Bronco". The vast majority of them will never see any off road use, maybe some dirt roads and trails. Most will be grocery getters and cruisers. It's just another SUV for their line up.
Ford is banking on customer loyalty to promote and sell them.
Aftermarket will surely make some hard core parts for them, and lots will be dolled up for "show". But how many owners are going to run them thru narrow trails where their new Bronco's are going to get their paint scratched, or get them dirty and muddy? Probably a very small percentage. Wife will forbid taking her Bronco out where it might get a scratch or paint chip.
Like 91stranger posted, hard core off roaders will look at the new Bronco's and Blazers, and laugh. They will go and buy one of the thousands of 10-20 year old Jeeps, Rangers, S-10 pick ups, Toyo or Nissans , throw some $$$ into it and have a capable off road vehicle, and not worry if it gets scratched, filthy, or dented.
Grumpaw

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like 91stranger posted, hard core off roaders will look at the new Bronco's and Blazers, and laugh. They will go and buy one of the thousands of 10-20 year old Jeeps, Rangers, S-10 pick ups, Toyo or Nissans , throw some $$$ into it and have a capable off road vehicle, and not worry if it gets scratched, filthy, or dented.
Grumpaw
How can you not laugh at the Blazer though? :ROFLMAO:

For certain kinds of offroading, late model dominates. When travelling long distances they are far more reliable, comfortable and fuel effiecent.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
How can you not laugh at the Blazer though? :ROFLMAO:

For certain kinds of offroading, late model dominates. When travelling long distances they are far more reliable, comfortable and fuel effiecent.
Looks like a Toyota Highlander behind GM badges. Nothing even close to what the Blazer was...today's "SUVs" are nothing more than a family hatchback car with an AWD system to pretend it can do stuff that the old Carry All's could do. Those old carry all's could drive over a curb at Walmart and make it the junk being sold today would maybe get the front or rear end over the curb then be stuck there high centered, or the AWD system wouldn't be able to figure out how to get it the rest of the way over.

A couple of above posts are really correct....people buy a used vehicle or sometimes a new one for say $40,000 then they go out and put another $10,000-$20,000 into it in aftermarket parts, accessories, and other mods to make it do what they want....but the reality is, today's hatchback cars are never going to be that capable no matter how much money you throw at them, they're not built do be modified and actually stay in one piece. They're too car based to be able to hold up to the nasty conditions that the true offroad community subject their vehicles to sometimes on a daily basis.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A couple of above posts are really correct....people buy a used vehicle or sometimes a new one for say $40,000 then they go out and put another $10,000-$20,000 into it in aftermarket parts, accessories, and other mods to make it do what they want....but the reality is, today's hatchback cars are never going to be that capable no matter how much money you throw at them, they're not built do be modified and actually stay in one piece. They're too car based to be able to hold up to the nasty conditions that the true offroad community subject their vehicles to sometimes on a daily basis.
There are a few good SUV's left in production yet. Wrangler and 4Runner (and Lexus spinoffs which are all based on a Land Cruiser Prado) are still very durable body on frame SUV's. GM's Tahoe/Suburban are no slouch either.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Current Land Rover products aren't bad either. A lot more road friendly than the old ones, but you can still get factory locking differentials, 35+ inch fording ratings, etc.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since the bronco started off as a scout knock off... that shoe fits.
Yep and at one time, looked like a Jeep from the back. Well, sort of...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think you would be surprised at how many people buy a new vehicle and wheel it immediately. It's not even a large minority but there are a lot. Our club has an event every year over Labor day weekend that attracts people from all over the country... one couple last year showed up in a JK with 1700 miles on it! And that's not real unusual. Sure there are a lot of older vehicles but there's also a lot of late models that show up as well.

I'm about 16-17k deep into my Ranger... if I could buy a new truck that is as capable for around 20-25k, I'd probably do it.

Actually I'm REALLY tempted to buy a new Roxor as a platform to build off of.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
There are a few good SUV's left in production yet. Wrangler and 4Runner (and Lexus spinoffs which are all based on a Land Cruiser Prado) are still very durable body on frame SUV's. GM's Tahoe/Suburban are no slouch either.
Drove a 4Runner for a week, thing was gutless, gas guzzling, and uncomfortable....glad to see they haven't changed anything since the 94 4Runner I had but luckily my 94 4Runner had a manual transmission so you could force it to move out of its own way, these new ones are extremely underpowered for their size and Toyota was stupid for dropping the V8 option in the early 2000's.

I wouldn't own a Wrangler, way over-hyped and over-priced for no more than what they are. I'll keep my 98 Grand Cherokee but the smallest I'd go would be the XJ Cherokee...those Wranglers are built for offroad not for daily drivers LOL. I don't go offroading anymore so no need for a Wrangler and my 96 Grand Cherokee I had prior to my 98 Grand Cherokee seen far more offroad use than highway use completely proving you don't need a Wrangler to go offroad and have fun.

Most of today's "SUV's" are nothing like they used to be, take one of those Lexus SUV's offroading continuously and they won't hold up...they're more of a weekend warrior type vehicle than built with offroading in mind.

The Tahoe and Suburban LOL, sure I guess if you are 4-wheeling on a wide open plain, but up in the mountains in the woods they're just too big, they're capable but in many cases just too large. The 60's Bronco's were a great size kind of between the Bronco 2 and Full Size 80's and 90's Broncos...although the 80's and 90's Broncos I wouldn't mind having one, or the K5 Blazer.

I just don't need a vehicle full of electronic nannies that I don't want, don't need, and don't care to have to spend tons of money fixing all the time and you know in those harsh offroad conditions those electronic nannies won't stand up to it, nor will those in dash touch screen systems. I don't mine ABS, but all the traction control crap, stability control, etc. they could keep as far as I'm concerned, and I don't need an in-dash computer screen...just a simple run around truck or SUV would be great and keep them in the $10k-30k range and they'd sell them like hotcakes. People only buy these $50-100k+ SUV's because well automakers aren't making just a bare bones basic vehicle so they figure well shit I gotta spend money on a new vehicle may as well buy the wife the luxury car with AWD to make her feel happy. I think if there were $10-30k new basic SUV's out there people would buy them because they'd be far more affordable and less stuff to go wrong...course keep the higher priced higher end stuff for those that truly want that stuff, but go to a dealership and buy a brand new SUV for $10-20k that is offroadable...there aren't any...even at $30k. You could play the Subaru game but with their CVT's you'd be stuck on a hill as those things just cut power and there you sit...same goes for all the electronic safety nannies, those systems cut power and leave you sitting there stuck.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I think you would be surprised at how many people buy a new vehicle and wheel it immediately. It's not even a large minority but there are a lot. Our club has an event every year over Labor day weekend that attracts people from all over the country... one couple last year showed up in a JK with 1700 miles on it! And that's not real unusual. Sure there are a lot of older vehicles but there's also a lot of late models that show up as well.

I'm about 16-17k deep into my Ranger... if I could buy a new truck that is as capable for around 20-25k, I'd probably do it.

Actually I'm REALLY tempted to buy a new Roxor as a platform to build off of.
Sure people wheel their brand new $50k+ toys because they have more money than brains 100% the reason.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yep and at one time, looked like a Jeep from the back. Well, sort of...

I'd take all 3 of those LOL...the old Iconic Broncos...loved them. The 80's and 90's I didn't mind either just larger.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sure people wheel their brand new $50k+ toys because they have more money than brains 100% the reason.
Well... using that logic... might as well just leave it in the garage with a cover on it and never drive it.

It's not like they're out destroying them right away either. Might get a few dings or scratches or a broken axle shaft here and there. My educated opinion on this subject is that hillbilly Bob who brought his rusty '84 K5 Blazer is FAR more likely to end up on his lid with springs ripped off and wires poking out than the new vehicle owner.

If I had a new Rubicon I sure as hell would wheel the crap out of it... but I would not intentionally try to destroy it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Drove a 4Runner for a week, thing was gutless, gas guzzling, and uncomfortable....glad to see they haven't changed anything since the 94 4Runner I had but luckily my 94 4Runner had a manual transmission so you could force it to move out of its own way, these new ones are extremely underpowered for their size and Toyota was stupid for dropping the V8 option in the early 2000's.
You expect your bare bones offroader to have a plush, pleasant ride, be easy on fuel and a rocketsled on rails?

Most of today's "SUV's" are nothing like they used to be, take one of those Lexus SUV's offroading continuously and they won't hold up...they're more of a weekend warrior type vehicle than built with offroading in mind.
The Lexus is basically a more plush 4Runner with a V8 and different rear door.

The Tahoe and Suburban LOL, sure I guess if you are 4-wheeling on a wide open plain, but up in the mountains in the woods they're just too big, they're capable but in many cases just too large.
They are the #1 rural family car in Iowa (in my unofficial opinion) Very decent MPG, good ground clearance, and 1/2 ton truck underpinnings for washboarded/washed out gravel roads.

If it was up to me we would be looking for a 4Runner or Tahoe to replace our Edge as a family car. But it isn't up to me...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals