• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head Gasket Question

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
Whats up guys! Been a while. Does anyone know of a gasket company that makes a thicker or better head gasket than felpro? Does thickness even make a difference? This is the second time my head gasket has blown in the same spot and same cylinder. Thanks Guys

Last edited:

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thickness will determine compression, thinner higher compression. Fel-pro is a good company in your case I would say you may have a warpage issue if it is the same exact spot twice. Did you clean the block real well and also have the head checked for warpage. Also you need to chase the threads were the head bolt goes in, if you have something in the threads the bolt will not torque properly. If it can't torque you are not getting the head completley seated.

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, i forgot to mention the heads were remanufactured. I cleaned the block really well also. I will chase the threads now that you mentioned that. Can the block warp? Thank you for the input.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
The block can (theoretically) warp. The heat required would melt the metal of the block or crack it due to zone heating. If the head wasn't torqued properly the first time, It is probably warped now.
oachs83 was correct in describing hydraulic lock in a closed end bolt hole. Chase the threads, clean any shavings, and push a narrow strip of cloth to the bottom of the hole to soak up liquid. Make sure you remove the cloth after that.

Runnin'OnEmpty

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger EDGE
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One other thing......

Use all new head bolts. The old ones are TTY (torque-to-yield)
and will stretch, so there's no way to get a correct torque
when re-using old bolts......

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the good info.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Use all new head bolts. The old ones are TTY (torque-to-yield)
and will stretch, so there's no way to get a correct torque
when re-using old bolts......
+1 you can only get by with re-using old head bolts once if you're lucky...

dorman68

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thickness will determine compression, thinner higher compression. Fel-pro is a good company in your case I would say you may have a warpage issue if it is the same exact spot twice. Did you clean the block real well and also have the head checked for warpage. Also you need to chase the threads were the head bolt goes in, if you have something in the threads the bolt will not torque properly. If it can't torque you are not getting the head completley seated.
I agree with oachs83. Fel-pro is a good gasket. I would suspect warped heads or block and use new head bolts if you haven't done so. Also check your head for cracks.

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE.......Just fixed the bad gasket. turns out it wasnt the same spot as last time. I now believe the culprit to be crapped up bolt holes as oachs83 suggested. Straight edged the head and block (straight w/no visible cracks). warmed up good with no leaks.............we'll see tomorrow after I drive it for a few. Oh one thing........has anyone ever heard of gunky sandy stuff built up in a combustion chamber?? the leaking cylinder's was gunky and sandy, really wierd cause i have never seen or heard of that before. Thanks again guys!

Last edited:

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good to hear, how sandy are you talking?

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
There was enough in there. The cylinder wall and piston looked fine though. It still doesnt make sense. I was thinking valve guide got eaten up, but the guys i got the heads from did a beautiful job. #5 was leaking into the inboard jacket and oil in from the intake port. Was in a rush putting it back together last time.

oachs83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Water does a good job of cleaning and it is possible if you had water in the cylinder it was cleaning carbon off your valves?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals