• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Having an alignment issue

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm having an alignment issue. When I pull forward the top of the tires pull in.

Screenshot_20230729_004801_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_004828_Gallery.jpg

And when I back up the top of the tires push out and they straighten up.

Screenshot_20230729_004811_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_004837_Gallery.jpg

I haven't dealt with this in a long time, but I think it's a toe issue.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Mine does that to except opposite. You back up the top of the tires point out, go forward it returns to normal.

I was told its the alignment bushing thing you twist to align it.

I never really looked into it though

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hope it is a toe issue, that is what is easily changed in the driveway. The measuring tape method works ok.

I would measure from tire to tire on the front of the front tires and then compare that measurement to the rear tire to tire measurement. Problem is, I do not think I would take the measurement in the beginning after you have moved forward. It may be better to measure after going backward and the suspension is not in such a bind. I would expect the front measurement to be larger than the rear.

They have all these different methods, using plates with grease under them, but I have found the easiest is to measure, adjust keeping track of how much you adjust and make sure to adjust both sides equally. Then move the truck back and forth and measure again. You can't let it sit, adjust the tie rods, and then measure again without moving the truck. The suspension and tires get in a bind, that is what the grease and the plates are for, or the alignment rack has the roller plates. Since you do not have any of this, moving the truck back and forth and then re-measuring will work.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Wow, that messed up. It’s not an adjustment, something is shifting around. I don’t know anything about your rig or how it’s modified but I would look see if the beams are moving back and forth. Radius arms? If beams aren’t moving is the steering box and pitman arm secure? Any strange noised when you move back and forth.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would adjust the toe. Adjust with the sleeves on the tie rod.

Mark a centerline on the front and rear of each tire, as close to hub height as possible. Tape measure across front and across rear. I usually look for rear measurement to be 1/8" bugger than front. Move both sleeves evenly if steering wheel is centered. Offset your adjustments if steering wheel isn't quite centered and you want it to be centered. It doesn't take a lot of adjustment.

After each adjustment, you need to drive the truck around the block, or at least go backwards 20 or 30 ft and come forward again keeping the wheel straight. This is because the wheels can't slide on the pavement to react to your adjustments. Real good instructions in our tech library. They talk about home made slide plates to make it easier. I put my front wheels on "roller skates" with the skate wheels pointed sideways.

I'm going to check alignment on my F250 today
I'll try to get a picture or two for you.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Wow, that messed up. It’s not an adjustment, something is shifting around. I don’t know anything about your rig or how it’s modified but I would look see if the beams are moving back and forth. Radius arms? If beams aren’t moving is the steering box and pitman arm secure? Any strange noised when you move back and forth.
There may be some things wearing out. But toe adjustment affects that more than you think. Caster plays a role, also.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
On a solid foundation toe will not change from switching direction of travel. Movement like he is getting isn’t gonna be a toe issue. Not that his toe won’t be off but it should remain static regardless of direction of travel. Adjusting it without stability in the equipment will be futile.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I agree that ball joints and tie rod ends need to be in good condition. But toe in or out puts forces on the system that will try to make the camber look worse.

Jim's up against a time crunch at the moment. For what he has, if nothing else is in critical danger of failing, a toe adjustment will get him in good shape for off-road activities or, more immediately, putting the front on a tow dolly to be transported to and from Pennsylvania for the truck show.

Last edited:

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
I’ve never temp fixed anything to get out somewhere only to get back from somewhere. But that’s just me. I say good luck Jim. Safe travels and return. Both hands on the wheel and no texting while driving. 😁

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Please find out what's loose before you drive that thing. Radius arm bushings are a good place to start.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I’ve never temp fixed anything to get out somewhere only to get back from somewhere. But that’s just me. I say good luck Jim. Safe travels and return. Both hands on the wheel and no texting while driving. 😁
Did you miss the part about it being on a tow dolly? He's going to be driving the tow vehicle. The Rangers front wheels will not even be on the road.

Yes. He may have worn ball joints. He will be able to inspect the them when he checks the toe. He may even make some camber adjustments. Will it be perfect? No. But making the proper adjustments will minimize the stresses and it will be ok for what he needs right this minute. Remember. This is a TTB truck. It does odd things and is fine. If it were an SLA suspension with that much movement in camber, it would be time to panic. A TTB truck can look like this just from lifting it with a jack and putting it back down. Especially if you lift it from the frame and let the suspension droop. When you drive it, it settles out.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Please find out what's loose before you drive that thing. Radius arm bushings are a good place to start.
We checked his front suspension the past 2 years at Attica. There was nothing loose.

This is an inherent problem with a lifted TTB system. It is well known that toe adjustments will not get rid of the problem 100%, but it will make it better.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Hard to tell by the pics but are the top ball joint pinch bolts tight? Looks like the top of the knuckle has moved in/out to me.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Hard to tell by the pics but are the top ball joint pinch bolts tight? Looks like the top of the knuckle has moved in/out to me.
That would be something to check. But they're probably tight.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Did you miss the part about it being on a tow dolly? He's going to be driving the tow vehicle. The Rangers front wheels will not even be on the road.

Yes. He may have worn ball joints. He will be able to inspect the them when he checks the toe. He may even make some camber adjustments. Will it be perfect? No. But making the proper adjustments will minimize the stresses and it will be ok for what he needs right this minute. Remember. This is a TTB truck. It does odd things and is fine. If it were an SLA suspension with that much movement in camber, it would be time to panic. A TTB truck can look like this just from lifting it with a jack and putting it back down. Especially if you lift it from the frame and let the suspension droop. When you drive it, it settles out.
Yeah I have three TTB trucks and am very familiar with the geometry and function. I do all my own repairs and adjustments and am very capable. Some are lifted and some aren’t but none of them change wheel position by driving them. Same with a tow dolly, I’ve pulled a couple across country. Pulling the truck from the same wheels that are moving to and fro seems perfectly logical🤦🏻‍♂️.
I’m not here to argue. I was giving my two cents because he posted.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals