• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

got some ?'s on a '86

mike123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK, well as some of you know i had some thoughts on a 87 ranger cab on a 86 b2 frame, interesting but i was extremely ify about it, i was about to give in and just trade the 150 for one of the many four wheeler offers i had gotten when i got an offer for a '86 with a 3" BL and 31's
the questions:
1. It needs a clutch or a slave cylinder, i can handle that, to easy..
2. it has a valve cover leak, how hard on a 1-10 (1 being doing brakes and 10 being a frame off resto)
3. guy told me it looks like it has water in oil all the time yet runs like a top.
4. and it needs a front hub, i would just go to mile marker hubs if i get it, again i need a 1-10

the only thing outside of trading for another truck i'm worried about is insurance... if i got a ATV no insurance wich makes my wallrt heavier (GOOD THING!!!!!)
i am 17 btw
and truck has a 2.9L with a 5 speed

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just my 02.. although i havnt seen what your trading, i would trade for a quadm depending on what it is, i have an 86 B2, when it had the 2.9 i did the valve cover gaskets, one side is easy, the other i just a pain, but doable, hubs, very easy, just take the wheel off, but water in oil, but running good all the time, and you being 17, he may just be trying to F&%k you???

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
water in the oil is a head gasket. probably about a 5 on your scale, ASSUMING it is a recent occurrence and he hasn't put 10,000 miles on it like that trashing the motor with all that water.
don't know what he's asking, but i'd figure in the cost of possibly having to rebuild/replace that motor.
just my $.02.

2.9XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Since he said it runs good, I would assume he's been driving it with water in the oil, and that means it's gonna need another engine or a complete rebuild.

mike123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
just my 02.. although i havnt seen what your trading, i would trade for a quadm depending on what it is, i have an 86 B2, when it had the 2.9 i did the valve cover gaskets, one side is easy, the other i just a pain, but doable, hubs, very easy, just take the wheel off, but water in oil, but running good all the time, and you being 17, he may just be trying to F&%k you???
he doesn't know my age, i would never put that on craigslist... there is way, way, way to many people on there tring to F#$K people

water in the oil is a head gasket. probably about a 5 on your scale, ASSUMING it is a recent occurrence and he hasn't put 10,000 miles on it like that trashing the motor with all that water.
don't know what he's asking, but i'd figure in the cost of possibly having to rebuild/replace that motor.
just my $.02.
he has most likley been driving it for a long time like that.. i'm thinking just get a quad and say F the insurance..
Since he said it runs good, I would assume he's been driving it with water in the oil, and that means it's gonna need another engine or a complete rebuild.
yea, me no big fan of huge motor work... not until i get out of school that is, 8 hours a day leaves a lot of lose ends to be forgoten..

i think i'm just goin to outright sell the truck and get a quad..

jhammel85

Totally agree. I bet anything the head is cracked or the headgasket has gone..

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Your 17 get it anyways as just use it as a learning tool, you can never have too much knowledge under your belt. (as long as you still have dependable transportation.)

mike123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Your 17 get it anyways as just use it as a learning tool, you can never have too much knowledge under your belt. (as long as you still have dependable transportation.)
yes i have a '96 F150 that i played with the motor a bit on... :D:icon_hornsup::headbang: only thing really holdin her back is the shady dumb ass stock heads and manifolds... but for a DD that will do 16-17 sec pulls on the 1/4 it doesnt really need anymore, and what is awesome, i get ~12 mpg everyday, traffic, hwy, even pulling a ~800lb roll of hay on a trailer that is ~900-1000lbs i get ~10mpg.. i love that truck

i want a ranger so i can have a woods/play toy to keep my big girl pretty and reliable

i got an offer this morning for a '88 it looks to be in pretty good shape, i just a little worried about the 4 banger being a dog.. :icon_confused:

but that can be fixed with a lil ole 306...:icon_welder:

here's the '88 http://dothan.craigslist.org/cto/2047604847.html

Last edited:

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that does look to be a nice Ranger in the ad. if it runs as good as it looks, might be worth is asking price if you can't get him to come down any. and for the '88, i'd re-gear the axles on it first and i'll bet that little 4 cyl will surprise you, especially with a manual tranny and if it has a manual transfer case.
just a thought.

btw, last time i was in Dothan was for Flight Medic school back in 1987, iirc. sure had fun there!

Last edited:

mike123

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i'm not buying it, possible trade for it, but the yamaha TT-R 230 my buddy has looks like a much better toy for a 17yo with no job...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals