• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Goodbye 2.3 4 cylinder...

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
Well, here it is a month later and about all I've done is unwrap the underhood wiring harness for circuit identification. I'm working through determining which are needed and which can go away.

I plan to remove the factory ECU in the passenger side kick panel and connect the Megasquirt relay/terminal board to as many of the correct gauge wires as needed, maybe retain a couple extra wire pairs for future additions and remove the rest.

The factory wires are great because they are good quality, have plenty of length and alot of different color codes to make future mods and diagnostics less confusing. My Ranger is a base model with less circuits to go through so it should go pretty well.

I picked up some V8 fender badges that were used on late 90's T-Birds. They are simple plastic, black and silver but I like them. I'll put one on the lower right side of the tailgate and one on each fender below the Ranger emblem. I did a test fit today, they lend a nice clean factory look to the Silver Bullet. I just need some weather proof mounting tape then I'll post a couple pics...

Mike

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Hello Mike I was just wondering where you got your buick 215 v8 from? I've been looking but haven't had much luck :dunno:

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found a guy who was selling his 215 parts and bought everything he had.
GM only produced the 215 for 3 years, 61-63, so they're not the easiest to find.
I sold off most of what I had after I decided to go with the Rover version.
I kept one bare block and a pair of bare heads for mockup purposes.

You can always get ahold of Mark at D&D Fabrication. D&D is one of the foremost builders of the little aluminum powerplants. They have a large stock of blocks, heads, cranks, intakes, etc. and can build virtually anything you want. I bought my custom bellhousing and custom billet steel flywheel from Mark, he's a great guy. They also have Rover pieces and build some cool strokers...

www.aluminumv8.com

Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Haven't had much to report lately...
I finally got my custom aluminum fuel cell mounted under the bed. It's connected to the stock fill pipe and follows the frame contour. It tucks up nicely with only about a half inch visible below the frame. The tank is small, about 8 gallons, which is what I wanted. The finished tank with fittings, rollover check valve and fuel level sending unit weighs just 10.6 pounds. It mounts with two factory steel straps attached to a piece of steel angle I mounted to a frame crossmember. I'll post a couple pics when I can.

Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad I could help...

Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well guys, I hate to say it but it's the end of the line for the Silver Bullet...
Due to needs for a multi use smaller SUV and a lack of funds I am abandoning the project. I have run out of financial resources and been out of work over 6 months.

With only my wife's Mustang, I needed both a running rig and a way to create some cash flow so I will be selling off all my Ranger related parts, pieces and trucks.
I'll be listing what I have for sale in the TRS Classifieds over the coming days, hopefully some of you will find pieces you need or want at good prices.
Anything you can buy will be a big help to me and greatly appreciated...

I will be trying to hold on to my Rover V8 and related drivetrain pieces but everything else will be going... I have been fortunate enough to acquire a running '85 S-10 Blazer 2 door very cheaply so I at least have a "truck" of sorts which I really needed. I plan to install the drivetrain in the Blazer in the future.
While some of you may view this shift to "The Dark Side" as disloyalty I know that others, some of you also "Bowtie" owners, will understand that plans change...

I came across a different need and an opportunity I was able to manage so I went for it. The original purpose of the Ranger V8, which began as a 302 swap, was intended to provide me with a fun work truck to drive while I took my beloved '94 Lightning out of service for a long overdue rebuild/HP upgrade. As I said, plans change...

My Lightning is now but a handful of parts and a heart full of memories... I haven't worked or needed a work truck in over half a year... Yes, plans change, mostly due to circumstance. All most of us can do is step back, take a deep breath, shake it off and try to be happy with whatever we can make of it... that is all I can do, at least for now.

I'm still a hot rodder and a gearhead at heart so of course I'm envisioning a future where I can have a Rover V8 powered Mini Blazer... Time and circumstance, as always, will dictate what really happens but for now a guy can dream right???

Many thanks to all who have followed my progress, offered their experience, advice and supported my ideas, you guys have been the greatest!!! I know some of you will be disappointed in not seeing the Silver Bullet hit the road but believe me, no one is more disappointed than I am...

I hope the rest of you will realize your dreams as you pursue your projects and I wish you all the best. Remember, don't be afraid to do or try something different!!! Just because, "not everyone would do it", isn't a good reason not to... in fact it may be the BEST reason TO do it...

Many Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for saying so... I appreciate that!

Mike

vortechlightnin

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Mikey!!!!!

Just was curious on how you have been, and I come in and see this. :bawling:

Im sorry about the long stint of low luck, but its all good, right??? Things happen for a reason Bro!!!! We just have to stay positive, and keep our head high and proud.....remember all the times you helped me stay up??? Well, Im gonna try to help you back - stay positive, because it brings far better outcomes........

This was a badass project, just like the 'ole Lightning was, but your genius and insight I know has helped so many think outside of the box, like you.

Hope all is well Mikey, and gimme a ring sometime!!!!

Your Old Buddy,

Matt

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Matty!!! See what curiousity will do for you??? :)

I know... it's upsetting but life goes on. Lots of people are upset and disappointed, especially in light of the "economic downturn" over the last few years...
I appreciate the encouraging words and hope things are going well for you.

I'll give you a call sometime in the next couple of days and thanks for checking in on me!

Take care my friend!
Mike

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mike, I'm so sorry to see the end of the project but there are other more important things to deal with in these days. The last I read anything of the Buick aluminum V-8 was many years ago in an old Car Craft or Hot Rod magazine and they were rare then when it was suggested as a good swap into a Vega since the weight was only 19 lbs different then the 4cyl. All we can do is keep on keepin on and never give up. God Bless you man,Garry

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Garry,
Thanks Bud, I appreciate it and of course life goes on. Disappointment is something most of us are used to, but it still blows...

Yeah the Vega guys loved the 215 for it's weight vs power and being compact also made it a great choice for their needs.

D&D Fabrication has done maybe a couple thousand or more 215 V8 Vega swaps since the 70's so it was definitely a popular choice. I learned alot of the basics from Mark and am grateful to him for all the help. He's a great guy to deal with and well known among the BOPR, (Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Rover), community. Anyone interested in these aluminum Mighty Mites should check out their website.

I'm still movin' forward, just on a different track...

Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Figured I'd post pics of the custom fuel cell so you guys can see how it was done, finally got pics when I decided to sell it... :sad:

Fills through factory fuel door using stock filler neck and hose...

Mike

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals