• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Goodbye 2.3 4 cylinder...

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
Here are a couple parts pics...

The elusive 2wd bracket, note part #...

Here you get a sense of the 10" drums size...

I LIKE the new rotors!!!

Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So based on the info I read in the links I should be heading in the right direction.
By removing weight from the front, (lighter motor), and adding weight to the rear, (bed cover) I am helping create a front bias condition. I should say adding to the assumed 5 to 10 percent of front bias already present, factory designed for stable braking.

The "cure" for added front bias is to increase the effectiveness of the rear brakes as in upgrading to the 10" drums with wider shoes. The front brake upgrade should add efficiency and better cooling while retaining the same diameter rotor as the original.

In extreme heavy braking the increased load on the front axle from weight transfer should be where the drilled/slotted rotors really make a critical difference due to better heat dissipation.

Hey, it's no race car but I think the braking performance will be acceptable. I have no "before" to compare to the "after" since I trailered the truck home and never drove it. It will be interesting to see how it all operates together.

One nice thing about these upgrades is that, except for the drilled slotted rotor surfaces, these are factory components which are designed to work together for the vehicle in question. Hopefully that will mean successful consistent performance.

Mike

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mike you got a cool truck. I like silver and I like those wheels but an all aluminum V8 is just killer! Besides having pics you really explain things in an understandable manner. I started reading the thread today and couldn't stop LOL What kinda power does the Rover motor put out? Are you gonna turbo it and what kinda power do you expect? Many don't realize less weight is the same as more power. I would expect some impressive 0-60/1/4 mile times as well as excellent braking and handeling(sp) I wish you all the best and hope you get it running soon,Garry

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Garry, I appreciate the compliments and I'm glad you enjoyed the read.
I probably use up way too much bandwidth in over describing things but I do it in hopes that it is useful to someone if not at least entertaining.

I'm happy to know there are those who appreciate the idea of what I'm doing here and hope that it encourages others to follow their own ideas and not just be mainstream...

The little 4.0 V-8 is rated stock @ 190 hp/250 tq, not bad compared to a stock 5.0 HO. I believe with my exhaust and some tuning with the Mega Squirt II I'll be around 210 hp to start with.

Yes I plan a turbo later on but will be looking for more hp before I go with boost. I'm not really looking to make big power with the turbo just impressively useable street power with economy and without breaking parts. 0-60 times and 1/4 mile should be decent based on HP to weight ratio, gearing etc. For what it is it should be a fun ride! I hope to have it running soon... soon being in the next several weeks or so... not soon enough!!!

Thanks to all for your interest and stay tuned for more progress and pics.
Mike

RangerMan64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Black P-38,
Great thread just read the whole thing. You will definitely have a unique V-8 converted Ranger. I am considering doing a V-8 swap as well, but I am probably going to do it with a 302. I see that you also live in Oregon, so you might be able to answer this question for me. Do you know what emissions equipment I would have to keep in order for the truck to be emissions legal?
Thanks

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey RangerMan64,
Thanks, that's alot to read 'eh? The 302 swap is a great swap, I started out on that road myself. I had collected all the pieces to build a nice 302 and would have been done awhile back except that I ran into financial issues which forced me to sell off everything.

It's just by chance then that I went a different route after seeing the Hot Rod magazine article about "The Predator" V-8 chainsaw, the rest is history...

I'm happy with the choice I made although I was disappointed when my "4.6" Rover V-8 turned out to be a 4.0. The 4.6 makes 35 more hp and 30 more ft lbs so it would have been a better starting point power wise. They are the same externally the only diff is a 2.8" stroke vs a 3.2" stroke. Economy wise I might be better off, we'll see.

As far as "emissions legal" in Oregon I can't quote any legal info. As far as what I'm dealing with... here in my area we don't have any testing. I have however included a high flow cat in my exhaust which exceeds anything required based on vehicle weight.

One very interesting note is that the USA bound Rover V-8's of my model year, 1998, (as well as other years), are NOT factory equipped with a "Secondary air pump" or any plumbing for one and therefore is not required equipment here in the states. This is a real bonus for keeping things compact and reducing parasitic hp loss. Apparently these motors run clean enough without it.

Requirements and testing in Oregon will depend on where you are located.
Potential for resale will be another factor in what you end up with. I will say that most vehicles I've been around that didn't have cats do have an obnoxious exhaust odor to them. With low restriction inexpensive units available I can't see any positive reason not to incorporate them into your exhaust. After all, we all gotta breathe here right? :)

I'm confident that once it's done my little powerplant will be capable of passing any emissions test that relies on actual test data and not some hard and fast rule that says you can't change anything. I've chosen to operate my injection and timing with the Mega Squirt II system for a variety of reasons not the least of which is cost.

Unlike the "Big Boys" I can buy a fully assembled, fully tuneable NEW ECU for about $400. Certain used Rover ECU's can be had for alot less that would "work" for my application but I need to be able to tune it myself without having to buy an additional "Tuner" or pay to have a chip burned every time I want to make a change.

As far as your 302 swap goes, if you keep everything intact that came with the donor motor, depending of course on the year of the donor, you will probably be okay.
That would include the ECU or a compatible ECU from a similar model/year.
I think the main criteria in swaps is the motor must be the same year or newer than the vehicle and conform to the emissions numbers of the model year of the motor.

There are better qualified people to advise you on what you'll need to do to be compliant in your area. I would suggest you do some research to see what experiences others in your area have had. Ultimately you should probably go to the source in your area that governs any restrictions or requirements especially if there is testing and/or enforcement so you don't end up in hot water or with expensive after the fact compliance costs.

I do want to say that I've always been a Ford man through and through. If it weren't for the all aluminum aspect of the Range Rover motor I would definitely be doing a smallblock Ford swap!

I looked at aluminum blocks for the SBF but the cost is way more than the reduction in weight is worth, at least to me.

There are alot more options for building a SBF than the Rover and pretty cheap too. Thankfully there is enough available for Rover builds to support anything I'll ever want to do. The four bolt block with all 5 mains crossbolted means it can hold up to serious mods including some boost.

I paid about as much for a complete used motor as a decent pair of new aluminum SBF heads would cost, making it an affordable alternative.

The fit of the Rover V-8 makes it look like it was designed for the Ranger. From the overall length with water pump and factory fan to the oil filter location and shape/size of the oil pan
it's just right for the Ranger...

Good luck with your project and be sure to post pics and progress!

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is enough length of brake line routed through the RABS to use a proportioning valve to connect the existing lines, thereby killing 2 birds with one stone. Actually 3 birds, I was going to have to relocate the brakeline anyway to keep it away from the drivers side header collector.

The factory used a generous amount of line from the master to the RABS unit the way they routed it. Deleting the brake booster also put the master about 8 inches closer to the firewall so I'll have enough line to locate the valve within easy reach of the drivers seat.

Looks like I can mount it to the floorpan on top of the tunnel close to the left rear trans access cover bolt, near the left front corner of my shifter boot for the T-5 rearmost location.

Here you can see the left rear bolt hole... I'll likely mount the valve about 2 inches behind that hole.

This unit from SSBC is the one I'm thinking of getting...

Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!

Mike

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Lightning seats look sweeeeet!

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, thanks!!! I have always like the Gen I seats for comfort while keeping you firmly in place. The power side bolsters snug up around your sides and the cloth is very anti-slip.

I think they look pretty cool too and they're not something you see everyday, certainly not in a Ranger. I like them much better than the racing seats I had plus they don't make your back sweat...

I'm looking forward to getting the wiring harness connected so the power lumbar and bolsters will be working again. The harness connects the power features, (run by individual compressors mounted under each seat), of both seats together, simplifying connection to the chassis harness.

Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's my ANNIVERSARY... well, of sorts.

I was looking at my first post on this thread and realized that today marks one year since I pulled the 2.3 4 cylinder, beginning "Project Silver Bullet".

I cannot believe that after one year I still don't have her on the road... I see that I had
mocked up the Buick 215 with trans and bellhousing, including cutting the heater box for valve cover clearance and the floor cutout for the T-5 shifter by August 10th of last year...

... changed motor plans and done the first test fit of the Rover V-8 by October 5th...

...and had acquired the pieces and completed the install of accessories, serpentine drive, A/C & P/S eliminator, clutch fan, radiator and hoses by November 10th...

In 4 days it will be 8 months since I posted those last three pics...

Yes I have made some progress since then but I was off to such a promising start, I never thought it would be this long and STILL not be on the road... So much for the last 8 months... :-(

Dam economy has screwed alot of people's plans and progress I'm sure!!! Here's what the economy has done for me lately...

Before...

After...

Economic Stimulus my azz...
Mike

Last edited:

nate12346

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Speaking of economy, I was wonderin how much you have put towards the project? I really want to do an entire makeover of my BII and I want to know how much to save up lol

Silver Bullet for sure! keep it up! it looks awesome!

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the compliments and be sure to check here for future updates.
As always, I appreciate the interest!!!

As for the "investment" in my project and how much you might need to save...

The short answer...

Save as much as you can for as long as you can and when you think you've saved enough... save some more... LOL!!! :)

The long answer...

Well, it all depends on what you want to do, what you can realistically afford and over what time frame you expect to "complete" the project, (are they ever really "finished"?).
Also, two or four wheel drive???

Therefore I direct you back to the "Short answer"... Just kidding!!!

If you have a decent running BII to begin with and all you want to do is slap a V-8 in it, no brake/suspension/gearing/trac-loc/tire/wheel/interior/exterior/instrument upgrades, you can get by for a whole lot less than I'll have wrapped up in my total project.

Basically, if you're on a tight budget, your least expensive way out will be to find a good running 302, probably get a great deal in the current economy, and follow the path many on this site have already traveled. Research what's needed for your particular application and intended use, make a thorough list of everything required and start watching for deals in the TRS classifieds, your local paper/free ads, and ebay.

Even if you can't afford a particular piece you need, monitor the availability, sources and prices, (keep notes with your list), so when you ARE in a position to buy you'll be ready to make an informed purchase and at the best deal for you.

I like using "WordPad" for making lists 'cause it's easy to modify and great for just keeping track of info in general. I've made many lists of both needed items and "To Do" checklists, very handy.

Only you can put a valid price on your project, there are so many variables... I wish I could just say, "well, it will cost this much..." but unfortunately I can't even give an accurate figure for my own project, at least not yet. I can give specifics on what I paid for certain items but that doesn't mean I could gather the same pieces of the same quality for the same price again.

All that being said, if having a V-8 Bronco II is what you really want, you're well on your way for two reasons... One, you already have the project vehicle... two, you are here in the middle of all the info you'll ever need to see your project through... As a bonus there are probably some guys on here right now who have exactly the parts you'll need.

Congrats on your choice to go V-8 and remember to enjoy the project as well as the finished product. I get discouraged sometimes 'cause things don't happen as fast as I would like, but I'm still hangin' in there 'cause I know it will be worth it... it already is!!!

Good Luck!!!
Mike

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I have made some progress since then but I was off to such a promising start, I never thought it would be this long and STILL not be on the road... So much for the last 8 months... :-(

Don't feel bad :), I am coming up on a year and I am not going yet either. I am on vacation this week and hope to finally start it up. Want to be running by August, but we'll see. Time has been a big factor, I moved into a new house, seeing lots of family, you've come along way further than I have in a year given how much you've taken on at once. Better to take your time with it and do it how you want it anyway...

Pete

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Pete, I forget sometimes that my original plan was to just get it running and on the road. Along the way I realized I had better give some attention to important items like brakes, steering, suspension and the differential.

I have ended up taking on alot more which does take more time, research and money.
I've spent enough to have it running but better to have it go, stop and corner safely.
Once it's running you just want to drive it so other important upgrades tend to get put off "til later"...

I hope you get yours running by August, you'll probably be running before I am!!!

Mike

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals