• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Goodbye 2.3 4 cylinder...

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
WOW!!! Holy Crap I can't believe it fit!!! I bet it was alot of work but man is that thing gonna fly!!!

I'll post more pics when I make some progress...

Mike

Ya, it was a lot of work, but well worth it! :yahoo:
Your build is coming along nicely. :icon_cheers:

marcehboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
nice swap real nice block and sorry if this was already mentioned but what are those wheels?

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, I'm havin' so much fun it doesn't seem like work!!!

Those wheels are Ultra 164's and are a conservative 15 x 7 with P225-60's. They were very affordable, about $111 each, ( just the wheels). I may end up running a wider pair out back, lots of room for it.

http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheel_detail.cfm?id=46

I've made more progress, finalized the heater box mod, detailed the engine bay, (yuck was it dirty!), removed the brake booster and re-installed the master cylinder, mocked up the 2 into 1 Magnaflow stainless Y, Catco 3" high flow cat, single 3" exhaust through welded Thrush chambered muffler and Pilot Motorsports angle cut rolled stainless 3 1/2" resonated tip.

Just need to finalize the hanger locations and have everything welded up. Very affordable exhaust, simple, straight forward and tucks up under nicely. Should sound great and yes I'll be sure to post up some vids with sound clips!!!

Got a local metal fab shop building a custom aluminum fuel cell for me so I'll begin installing the fuel system soon.

I need to get some pics posted up when I have time.

As always, thanks for your interest!!!
Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
overall how much did all this end up costing you?
Once I have everything together I plan to do a cost analysis and will provide that info. So far the biggest single expense is the recycle yard Rover V-8 at a mere $1250 or about the cost of a low end set of name brand aluminum 5.0 heads, not bad for a running all aluminum EFI V-8...

Of course I have sold off a few un-needed items from the motor so the overall motor cost will be closer to a grand.

The truck was $300 and after I sell the old motor and trans I'll recover the full cost and be ahead some as well.

Stay tuned...
Mike

marcehboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
thanks im liken em a lot

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I like them too and they should be easy to maintain with a mini powerball.

Here's what I've been up to lately...
Simplified the exhaust layout to save time, trouble, weight and $$$.
Still a 2 into 1 via the stainless Magnaflow Y , ( 2@ 2 1/2" into 1 @ 3").

I have the Y and 3" Catco convertor welded together occupying the space the factory cat was in, works great with the factory floorpan heat sheilding.

The Thrush muffler is welded directly to the cat and has a steel hanger I fabbed welded to the outlet pipe that fits the factory dual rubber hanger.

The 3" tailpipe is welded to the muffler and has about a 47* bend which points it out just ahead of the spring hanger and exits through the Pilot Motorsports 3 1/2" tip just ahead of the rear passenger side tire.

I think it looks pretty cool, I just have to fab a hanger for the tailpipe at the frame rail then all that's left is the downpipes from the headers merging into the Y. I'll get those done once the motor is bolted back in.

The fab shop was gonna charge me way too much for the fuel cell, ($305 basic and bare), so I ordered a sheet of .090 aluminum, 24" X 48" for $35 + $13 shipping and once again have enlisted the help of my friend Terry. We are gonna fab a more custom fitted fuel cell sometime in the next few days.

I got a new VDO fuel level sending unit, tipover check valve assembly, fittings and pickup tubing. I also got a BRAND NEW fuel filler pipe and steel tube with clamps and inner pipe, everything but the gas cap, just $65!!!
If you've priced one of these you know why I'm excited. I have my external mount EFI fuel pump with mounting clamps, inline filter and some steel line so I'm close to having a fuel system.

I'll post up some pics when I can, just figured it was about time for an update. Thanks for your interest and check back for more updates, it's gonna get interesting here pretty soon!!!

Mike

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I can't wait to hear this thing up and running. Looks great!

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Wow!

Looks very good, very good work by you sir!

I am impressed

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
This project is really coming together! Amazing fabrication and it's not just functional, it looks good too! Any idea how much weight you saved by using the all aluminum V8?

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, I'm anxious to hear it up and running too. I appreciate the compliments!
The new motor is close to a hundred pounds lighter than the 4 cylinder, (hard to believe I know), not just weight saving but weight off the front end for better balance/handling.

Speaking of handling, got an ADDCO rear sway bar and hardware on it's way, hoping to order one for the front soon. Those will give it some stability in the corners for much better road manners. Of course some traction control will be in order too.

Stay Tuned,
Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A minor but notable update... I got the fuel tank filler tube with inner and outer hoses installed. The worst part was removing the years of built up dirt clods in the surrounding areas. Although the unit was listed as application specific I had to mod it to make it work. For one, the 3 holes in the fill tube mounting flange didn't line up with any of the 3 holes in my fuel door backing plate. I made a template off the old piece, transferred it to the new one and drilled 3 new holes in the correct positions.

The molded outer hose needed to be twisted around 180* to work. This left the inner hose pinched at the first bend as it is also contoured and needed to be twisted around too. Other than the extra time and a bit of effort it worked out well.

The better news is... my original Ranger driveshaft will work perfectly with the Rover motor placement. Once I remove the large anti vibe yoke and replace it with my stock Chev T-5 yoke it's going to bolt up, with no cutting or welding, in the exact stock length!

I was planning on a new custom built aluminum shaft but the stocker will get me by just fine and save some $$$ too.

Rear sway bar will be here Monday so when I have some time I can work on fitting it.

That's it for now,
Mike

Last edited:

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I PROMISE to get some pics up soon... I have been working so much, then my spare time has been spent Ebaying, packing and shipping several items all over the country.

I had to build a shipping crate for one of my Buick blocks, another for a crankshaft, a pair of heads, cast iron exhaust manifolds, a cam, connecting rods, a lower intake, etc.

Then I got sick with some upper respiratory crud for a week, really bad case of it, YUCK! Of course that put me behind at work so I spent the last few days trying to catch up. I worked 11 hours today but have tomorrow off. I'm thrashed...

I did get my rear sway bar mostly installed last night after work, just need to drill four holes in the frame and install the bolts/nuts through the bushing brackets which are C-clamped in position.

It's a nice bar, powder coated gloss black. Sure can tell the difference, makes the leaf springs work together and greatly reduced the side to side body roll when I try to rock the bed standing in back.

The directions were confusing and the diagram was obviously not for my application but I figured it out. Would've went much quicker with the correct instructions and diagram...

The front sway bar arrived Friday, haven't even unpacked it yet, wonder what the instructions look like???

Stay Tuned!
Mike

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well today it poured down rain but I managed to get some pics anyway, please excuse the nasty looking underside, the flash makes it look worse than it is. My always wet gravel road makes it pointless to clean.

Okay so here they are!!!

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here are a few of the rear sway bar install...

Mike

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals