• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Goes up, doesnt come down

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My driveway is pretty steep. Noticed that when I pull up into my driveway, it almost feels like the brakes are on. I have to really rev it to get it to climb up, but when I let off the gas, it doesnt roll back at all, and feels like the brakes are still on. When I get back on the gas, I can feel the rear torque up like Im powerbraking almost. But, then when I shift it into neutral, it freely rolls back down like I let off the brake. Keep in mind all of this is without ever touching the brake. At first i thought it might be the brakes, or something in the front diff bindig up, but since it rolls free when i shift it into neutral i find it hard to believe its either one of those. I would think it is something in the transfercase/tranny, but was hoping one of you guys could shed some light. By the way, its a 2002 xlt 4x4 supercab with 4.0L automatic.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Does it behave the same way in 2x4 as it does in 4x4?

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yes, same thing happens whether its in 4wd or 2wd. Do these rangers happen to have a hill brake or something in them?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
is this a trick question?

of coarse your auto vehicle wont roll backwards in gear...the engine is attempting to propel the vehicle forward as gravity tugs it back, hence it doesnt move.

surffishin07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it all depends on how steep the hill is. if a hill is steep enough an auto tranny will slip backwards. some trannys will have an anti roll back feature(not sure bout the rangers) the is helpful in more mountainous regions

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Believe it or not its not a trick question. Defintely not the engine keeping it up, as it actually feels like a brake slows the truck and holds it. I didnt think rangers had a hill brake, but that is exactly what it feels like.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals