• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Global Ranger revisited - again

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Yep that is just an automated email. I got the same thing.

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
Only if people in drastically different demographics are interested in them. IMO it is stupid to assume that something will be popular in North America just because it is popular in Europe.
They won't assume. They'll do the research before they sell something in NA that was originally designed and built for overseas markets. Especially in specific model lines as trucks or V8 power. Ever wonder why they don't sell the Mustang all over the world anymore? Why don't they sell a V8 powered sedan in the USA?

Jay'94

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll chime in since I'm probably one of few on TRS who has been in a European 2013 model!!
Yuuup, that's right!! Took a tour to Europe last summer, went to Germany, was making the rounds, jump off the Bundesbahn in Wickede-Ruhr, get a big ole blooty Scottish welcome from my Scottish, F%$K the Blooty Queen, Brother Brian!! He grabs our bags, he's not a little guy, cross the tracks, headed to the parking lot and low and behold what do I see? A 2013 Blue 4X4 Ranger and Brian's headed straight for it!! Bags get thrown in the back, he's got a locking tonneau cover (does landscaping), we jump in and HOLY :poop: BATMAN, Can you say NICE NICE NICE!!! He fires it up, yuppp TURBO Diesel!! At this point I've got drool streaming down my chin and it isn't from the Haggis I know I'm going to get to eat for Breakfast the next day. He takes a round about route and we're on the autobahn and we're up over triple digits in a 4x4, turbo diesel RANGER!!! I'm in love and lust and wanting one!!! We did a lot of sightseeing for 4 days, one of which was up an old German mountain road thru the mud, the muck, some tree roots and a rock or two. Yeah, it had street tires on it, but I was impressed. Little turbo diesel just puttin along!!! I said then they bring it to the states or I figure out how to make a 6 hour trip to Mexico and I'm buying one!!! Yeah, I'd probably put some Cooper ATs on it, I'm not modding it. I'd keep my old Ranger for hunting off road, but I'd drive the Ranger and not be scared to run er down to the coast, down the beach for 20 miles to do some surf fishing, tow my boat to the lake, or blast across the U.S!!! I hate the F-150 rides like a car. That Ranger, did NOT ride like a car, it rode like a truck but it ate up the autobahn like a BEAST!!! I can't attest to the mileage as they compute per liters to 100km. But he said it was good! I also seen his landscaping trailer, HOLY Rock load!!! He said if he ever gets pulled over by the Polizei he's probably going to jail for WAY overloaded but it pulls it like it isn't even there!!!
So all the naysayers can naysay all they want!!! I want one!!
Oh, My Girlfriend and his wife rode in the backseat with their dog, yeah it's not a Lincoln town car, but Barbara said she had no problem with the room or comfort!!!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I'll chime in since I'm probably one of few on TRS who has been in a European 2013 model!!
Yuuup, that's right!! Took a tour to Europe last summer, went to Germany, was making the rounds, jump off the Bundesbahn in Wickede-Ruhr, get a big ole blooty Scottish welcome from my Scottish, F%$K the Blooty Queen, Brother Brian!! He grabs our bags, he's not a little guy, cross the tracks, headed to the parking lot and low and behold what do I see? A 2013 Blue 4X4 Ranger and Brian's headed straight for it!! Bags get thrown in the back, he's got a locking tonneau cover (does landscaping), we jump in and HOLY :poop: BATMAN, Can you say NICE NICE NICE!!! He fires it up, yuppp TURBO Diesel!! At this point I've got drool streaming down my chin and it isn't from the Haggis I know I'm going to get to eat for Breakfast the next day. He takes a round about route and we're on the autobahn and we're up over triple digits in a 4x4, turbo diesel RANGER!!! I'm in love and lust and wanting one!!! We did a lot of sightseeing for 4 days, one of which was up an old German mountain road thru the mud, the muck, some tree roots and a rock or two. Yeah, it had street tires on it, but I was impressed. Little turbo diesel just puttin along!!! I said then they bring it to the states or I figure out how to make a 6 hour trip to Mexico and I'm buying one!!! Yeah, I'd probably put some Cooper ATs on it, I'm not modding it. I'd keep my old Ranger for hunting off road, but I'd drive the Ranger and not be scared to run er down to the coast, down the beach for 20 miles to do some surf fishing, tow my boat to the lake, or blast across the U.S!!! I hate the F-150 rides like a car. That Ranger, did NOT ride like a car, it rode like a truck but it ate up the autobahn like a BEAST!!! I can't attest to the mileage as they compute per liters to 100km. But he said it was good! I also seen his landscaping trailer, HOLY Rock load!!! He said if he ever gets pulled over by the Polizei he's probably going to jail for WAY overloaded but it pulls it like it isn't even there!!!
So all the naysayers can naysay all they want!!! I want one!!
Oh, My Girlfriend and his wife rode in the backseat with their dog, yeah it's not a Lincoln town car, but Barbara said she had no problem with the room or comfort!!!
Didn't say I wouldn't want one, I simply couldn't afford one. I agree the global rangers are nice trucks. Drove one in Iraq in 2004, 4 cylinder turbo diesel, very torquey truck for a 4 cylinder. A true 4 door cab as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They won't assume. They'll do the research before they sell something in NA that was originally designed and built for overseas markets. Especially in specific model lines as trucks or V8 power. Ever wonder why they don't sell the Mustang all over the world anymore? Why don't they sell a V8 powered sedan in the USA?
They have dropped the ball before and they will again, most recently with their famed dual clutch trans from europe that was going to be the end all transmission for Ford US... but it couldn't cope with the stop and go traffic of the US.

I wasn't aware the Mustang was ever a huge seller elsewhere. They are pushing to make it moreso now because now that Mazda left the Flint Assembly Plant the Mustang can't keep the factory open on its own at its current production numbers.

The Charger and Impala are popular enough to tell me that the US isn't totally against a sedan that can take a V8. Kinda like the Taco says we are not totally opposed to small trucks.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know the global ranger was in Mexico.....I may have to take a trip one day with some money and see about that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know the global ranger was in Mexico.....I may have to take a trip one day with some money and see about that.
It didn't used to be, it was the US Ranger but with a 4dr option, I think diesels were an option too.

They were in South America though, maybe they bumped them up to Mexico when they killed off the US Ranger.

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It didn't used to be, it was the US Ranger but with a 4dr option, I think diesels were an option too.

They were in South America though, maybe they bumped them up to Mexico when they killed off the US Ranger.
This is what we got ~2006-2010

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240171

This is what we got from 2010-2012

Ford_Ranger_XLT-3_0L_Diesel.jpg

I have seen the new 2013 Ranger on the streets around here, Next time I see one I'll take a pic. Diesel has not been an option ever here in MX for the Ranger, we do have some Mitsubishi and VW trucks (Amarok) that offer the option and I can't recall if 4WD has been offered ever in small Ford trucks. The VW truck and the Z71 Colorado offers 4WD it but it is ridiculously expensive, 'round 28 - 37K USD for the Amarok :shok: The Z71 Colorado got recently changed to the south American version as well, which I believe it's Fugly....

I live right by the border, so I am able to procure parts for my imported from the US 94 4x4 Ranger....

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
They have dropped the ball before and they will again, most recently with their famed dual clutch trans from europe that was going to be the end all transmission for Ford US... but it couldn't cope with the stop and go traffic of the US.

I wasn't aware the Mustang was ever a huge seller elsewhere. They are pushing to make it moreso now because now that Mazda left the Flint Assembly Plant the Mustang can't keep the factory open on its own at its current production numbers.

The Charger and Impala are popular enough to tell me that the US isn't totally against a sedan that can take a V8. Kinda like the Taco says we are not totally opposed to small trucks.
Yes, they have dropped the ball which directly refers to overseas Mustang sales. It didn’t last but a few years. So are you saying Europe doesn't experience traffic jams at all, ever? There's much more than that to whatever failure that transmission has shown. Americans drive completely different. Don’t like a manual transmission- put in an automatic or vise-versa. These issues with this transmission didn’t even faze Ford, did it? I’m sure they know better than anyone how to deal with this contemporary economic environment. They did okay through to whole bailout thing, right? Ford sells a V8 sedan in Australia but not in the USA. Why? Because they're wildly popular there. This is my point- it costs much more to design, produce and sell different models of vehicles to every different market- agreed? So if they can plan and execute a time line where American tastes in vehicles and European/Asian tastes blend to some sort of middle ground- they will "win" in the long run as far as financially. You don't have to buy anything newer if you don't want to. The decent sales of the unchanged, old faithful Ranger didn't stop Ford from axing it from their NA sales offerings. Don’t like the new stuff- keep your kickass V8 ’85 Ranger. Trust me- I’m all for it. The Global Ranger may not be for you my friend but maybe your kids love it and then maybe your grandkids. I figure that’s a better deal than our kids and grandkids only getting to choose between which hybrid or electric vehicle to buy and only get to hear the sound of an American V8 on Youtube.:beer:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The sales of the Ranger have been steadily dropping since '99' when 349K were built to 55K in 2010. Options have slowly been disappearing or mixed into package deals that people don't want or can't afford. I ordered a 2000 ext cab 4x2 and wanted 4.10 with "posi", couldn't get it, only a 3.55. They all come down the same line, maybe CAFE. Their motor development is 20 years behind the time, what was the last new motor for the Ranger? I wouldn't mind keeping the old body but updating the running gear if that's what it took. Look how long the Porche 911 body has been around. Ford knows where the markets are going and it's not the USA. It's like a lot of people pissing and moaning about not enough performance in the Mustangs. Well, the huge percentage could care less. They build for the masses.
Dave

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
O sweet Jesus that is ugly, not at all like the pics I've seen before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
Hence why I stuck with my 94... that and 4WD :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they have dropped the ball which directly refers to overseas Mustang sales. It didn’t last but a few years. So are you saying Europe doesn't experience traffic jams at all, ever? There's much more than that to whatever failure that transmission has shown. Americans drive completely different. Don’t like a manual transmission- put in an automatic or vise-versa. These issues with this transmission didn’t even faze Ford, did it? I’m sure they know better than anyone how to deal with this contemporary economic environment. They did okay through to whole bailout thing, right? Ford sells a V8 sedan in Australia but not in the USA. Why? Because they're wildly popular there. This is my point- it costs much more to design, produce and sell different models of vehicles to every different market- agreed? So if they can plan and execute a time line where American tastes in vehicles and European/Asian tastes blend to some sort of middle ground- they will "win" in the long run as far as financially. You don't have to buy anything newer if you don't want to. The decent sales of the unchanged, old faithful Ranger didn't stop Ford from axing it from their NA sales offerings. Don’t like the new stuff- keep your kickass V8 ’85 Ranger. Trust me- I’m all for it. The Global Ranger may not be for you my friend but maybe your kids love it and then maybe your grandkids. I figure that’s a better deal than our kids and grandkids only getting to choose between which hybrid or electric vehicle to buy and only get to hear the sound of an American V8 on Youtube.:beer:
It was a dual clutch automatic transmission in the Fiesta. It was going to inspire a heavier duty varient that eventually would be used in the rest of Ford's lineup. After being great overseas they didn't hold up here, now they are going away from them in the US.

Public transit is much more popular in Europe than it is the US, I think that would effect driving habits.

The only reason Ford did ok on the bailout is they took out a loan against everything the owned down to their rights on the blue oval shortly before everybody else went crying to the govt. In the long run being responsible and taking care of themselves probably hurt them because they still have to pay off that loan while everybody else is free and clear after bankruptcy.

There is nothing I would trade my Ranger for, I have put a lot of time, money sweat and blood in it since I got it as my first vehicle in 2000. You only ever have one first vehicle. I really don't need it but I like it so it stays. I don't really know what I would trade my 2002 F-150, I love its simpleness.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the auto companies necessarily know what people want. They probably know what people say they want which doesn't always equate into sales.

I can see the auto companies in a difficult situation, with design to production lead times that are typically longer than the consumer's whims they end up having to deal with changing regulations which may make loved products impossible to produce while trying to predict that could be produced within those regulations that consumers will buy.

When the CAFE standards kicked in and basically eliminated large cars for the mass market going into the 80s and what there were had been so compromised by need to keep weight down that people weren't buying them. While many people were looking at smaller vehicles (and I liked small) there wasn't anymore "big American cars" until the little loophole that allowed SUVs to be classified as truck putting them in a different category allowing for what was effectively a large car. And hence the SUV craze.

As I seen pointed out on this forum the upcoming CAFE standards actually require smaller cars to get better fuel economy than larger. A nice idea in theory, smaller should be able to, but the unintended consequence is that smaller vehicles like the ranger get phased out in favor of the larger because of all the bloat other regulations require weight wise (rollover and crash safety) causes the manufacturer to view larger vehicles as being easier to upgrade to meet the higher fuel economy and other regulations.

The net result? Lower total fuel economy.

The first new vehicle I purchased was an 83 Nissan 2wd pickup with short bed with a four cylinder and 5 speed. Pretty nifty little pickup for road use. Cost me $6400. Actually could fit things in the back better than our 99 ranger. That pickup regularly got over 30mpg. But would such a vehicle meet todays collision and roll over standards? My guess is no.

And I note when I been in Europe, manual trans were the norm, lots of smaller cars with really great fuel economy. Somehow that just isn't possible in the states....

So unless things change, it looks like things are going to continue to trend towards larger.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals