• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gears & Aussies...

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys.

I have a 2000 Ranger with a 3" BL, 2" Torsion lift (level) and 33x12.50 Cooper Discovery STT's. All under a 3.slow

I've got the 8.8 in the rear and the dana 35 up front. I'm thinkin now's a good time for gears and lockers. What do you guys recommend on gears? I was thinking 4.56's. I want good gas mileage still, with just a little better performance than stock gears would be with stock tires.

As for lockers, either the aussie or lock-rite would fit the bill I think. Being that I'm a broke 18 year old college kid. Does anyone know where to get a good deal on either of these? I'd like to get lockers front and rear. I do off road quite a bit (sand dunes, mud, crossing, hill climbs and trails). But it is also my daily driver.

How easy (difficult) would this be to install myself? So far I've done 100% of the work myself on my rig. And would like to keep saving money by doing it myself. I figure gears front and rear will be about $300. Plus master install kits (since the axles have 163K on them). I have access to a pretty well stocked shop. So tools won't be an issue here. Lockers total should be like $500-600.... But do I need an open carrier for the rear then (more $$)?

So....

Gear ratio recommendations?
Good deal on lockers?
Installation?

Thanks for any replies/recommendations guys. I figured i'd ask the people who know best!

-Cody.

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And personally I'd rather have the Aussie. I've seen people saying they get good deals on them for $200 a piece. And they are better built from what I hear. If you know of a good deal or sale going on somewhere, lemme know please!!

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you cant get the aussie for the ifs dana 35

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ah damn.

Well. Aussie in the rear. Lock-rite up front?
And I've been diggin around, and it seems installing the gears myself would wank. Any idears how much that costs? Considering I'd supply the gears...?

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You'd have to call around for gear install prices. $300 for gears and install kits is a joke. I'll sell you Yukon 4.56's with master install kits for the front and rear axle for $500 plus shipping.

Here's the link to my for sale thread. I paid over $750 for this stuff. $500 is cheap.

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61599

Last edited:

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
PM sent about the gears....

Anyone know about my other questions?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
HERE is where I got mine, it's on it's way although I ordered it sunday night and it shipped out this morning so that's not too bad of service, better prices than some of the places I've found

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
HERE is where I got mine, it's on it's way although I ordered it sunday night and it shipped out this morning so that's not too bad of service, better prices than some of the places I've found
Yours is also for the TTB front end, not the 98+ IFS.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ah damn.

Well. Aussie in the rear. Lock-rite up front?
And I've been diggin around, and it seems installing the gears myself would wank. Any idears how much that costs? Considering I'd supply the gears...?
they dont make an aussie for the rear of the rangers unless you have a 31 spline rear axle. lock rite in the front and rear will work tho. you do know it takes a bunch of special tools to set up gears. if you supplied the tools to a shop probably cost you around 3-400 per axle. its usualy around 700 per axle if they supply everything.

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I guess I'm lookin at about 6-700 for a shop to install gears (that i'd provide). And then another 600 for lockers. Plus 500ish for gears.

Damn

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
If the IFS is still a D35 why wouldn't it fit? Jeep and Ford TTB carriers are the same 3.55+ c-clip carrier.

I'm pretty sure their reasoning is that the newer 98+ IFS trucks with exception for a few years, predominantly don't have selectable hubs, so the axle is being turned ALL the time. Which I guess can engage the locker at awfully inconvenient times.

The Loc-Rite will do essentially the same thing as an Aussie.

They may not list one, but with some comparing of the 2 differentials to a known locker listing I bet there is one that will work. Unfortunately I do not have the funds to permit such an experiment currently.

I have my hunch it's the one listed for ABS equipped axles (they have a smaller spider gear journal).

But I will warn you, you are on your own as to weather or not it works out.

*edit: those prices are crazy.. I think I paid about 300 for my D35 gear and master install kit. I hope they're talking about gears and kits for BOTH axles... My aussie was only $160 or so.. do any of you shop around?

Last edited:

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So I guess I'm lookin at about 6-700 for a shop to install gears (that i'd provide). And then another 600 for lockers. Plus 500ish for gears.

Damn
No... if a shop sets them up, the common approximate is 1k including gears for both axles... it shouldn't be any extra if the lockers are done at the same time (just cost of the lockers)

You don't need a bunch of special tools. Just basic automotive set of tools, some white lithium grease, and a dial indicator. (preferably a case spreader as well, but it isn't needed) But it's very important to get the pattern/tooth engagement correct because improper pattern and excessive backlash can cause (very) premature failure.

That being said, I set up my own gears, but I am rather shadetree.

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the IFS is still a D35 why wouldn't it fit? Jeep and Ford TTB carriers are the same 3.55+ c-clip carrier.

I'm pretty sure their reasoning is that the newer 98+ IFS trucks with exception for a few years, predominantly don't have selectable hubs, so the axle is being turned ALL the time. Which I guess can engage the locker at awfully inconvenient times.

The Loc-Rite will do essentially the same thing as an Aussie.

They may not list one, but with some comparing of the 2 differentials to a known locker listing I bet there is one that will work. Unfortunately I do not have the funds to permit such an experiment currently.

I have my hunch it's the one listed for ABS equipped axles (they have a smaller spider gear journal).

But I will warn you, you are on your own as to weather or not it works out.

*edit: those prices are crazy.. I think I paid about 300 for my D35 gear and master install kit. I hope they're talking about gears and kits for BOTH axles... My aussie was only $160 or so.. do any of you shop around?

Yeah we're talkinga bout gears/kits for both axles.

Where did you get your Aussie for so damn cheap?! I've found the cheapest at $199.99 on sale (of course the sale ended a month ago).

And yeah I think the difference is in the hubs.

HallzyBallzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No... if a shop sets them up, the common approximate is 1k including gears for both axles... it shouldn't be any extra if the lockers are done at the same time (just cost of the lockers)

You don't need a bunch of special tools. Just basic automotive set of tools, some white lithium grease, and a dial indicator. (preferably a case spreader as well, but it isn't needed) But it's very important to get the pattern/tooth engagement correct because improper pattern and excessive backlash can cause (very) premature failure.

That being said, I set up my own gears, but I am rather shadetree.
Okay. That's super high prices for gear set up. How hard is it really to do yourself? I know somebodies gonna say, well if you ask how hard it is, then you shouldn't be doin it. But I gotta start sometime. Like I said I've got access to a shop.

Do you guys think 4.88s would be best with a 3.0 and 33x12.5's?
Also will I have to buy an open carrier for the rear end? Thats like another $250... Is lockrite the only one that needs an open carrier? Because a lockrite ~250 and an open carrier ~250, would it be smarter to just grab a detroit locker for $500?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
http://www.aussielocker.com/make.php/TM72c3bd/7af4/06/.html

But that was 2/3 years ago, holy hell they've gone up...

But the good news (I guess) is they do list a locker for the (97)98-2006 Rangers. So there is one out there, but it doesn't seem the price is as favorable. There's still only 2 listings, so I bet it is indeed for the ABS carrier.

If it helps, I've been very pleased with mine.

Okay. That's super high prices for gear set up. How hard is it really to do yourself? I know somebodies gonna say, well if you ask how hard it is, then you shouldn't be doin it. But I gotta start sometime. Like I said I've got access to a shop.

Do you guys think 4.88s would be best with a 3.0 and 33x12.5's?
Also will I have to buy an open carrier for the rear end? Thats like another $250... Is lockrite the only one that needs an open carrier? Because a lockrite ~250 and an open carrier ~250, would it be smarter to just grab a detroit locker for $500?
It's not necessarily hard, you just need to be patient more than anything. Dial indicator, and making sure the pattern and backlash are exactly where they need to be is key. Other than that, follow the instructions. Lot's of people can set up gears, all of them had to take the plunge.

You can get a whole new rear axle for that price, several if you get it from a member or other means, and you'd have spare parts. I paid $80 for a drum braked explorer 8.8 with the 31 spline axles AND and L/S. You probably have a clutch based L/S as well, you can re-pack those clutches to be something stupid tight. You can get them tight enough to be nearly a locker. This can offset the cost for a little while (I paid $20 for a used set of clutches). It will eventually work less and less (it's the nature of those carriers). but they'll work well when they do.

Decide how much you can/want to spend, and fill in the gaps. This stuff can get out of control quick.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals