• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Full Width SAS on '90 Danger the 4th

kingreinheimer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
are you able to drive your ranger on the streets where you live? i know in pa your only aloud 3 inch flares with no tread sticking out

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
are you able to drive your ranger on the streets where you live? i know in pa your only aloud 3 inch flares with no tread sticking out
I do drive it. But yeah, its illegal. I dont leave a 10 mi radius of my house. In ohio, your tires cannot be sticking farther out than 3". I dont go far because i know they check. Before my SAS, i was stopped 2 or 3 times (the one time i was in a funeral!) and was checked for bumper height and my tires sticking out. But I was .5" under on both accounts (after i took out 10psi) :yahoo:

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Baby

Well, it’s been a while. In November I found out I have a little one on the way. My first one. Due date is July 16th. :D It was a surprise and my wife and I were in shock for a few weeks. However, it is all excitement now. The last few months (and the last monies in the Ranger fund) have been spent preparing for the new one.
This means the Ranger has been shoved into the corner of the garage and has been there for a while now. I did take it out once in the snow. Ohio had a very disappointing winter this year. But I will not go there. The truck has not been running right but it stayed running for a few hours and I wheeled the property a little bit. Then somehow I blew my warn lockout out in my neighbors bean field. So I patched it up with some duct tape and continued on. It was still locked so I didn’t mind haha.

I did a tune up on the 'ol 2.9L because it had been running like crap. The outcome, well, the engine has not fired since. It keeps snapping the distributor rotors. I do not know why. The last time I wheeled it, I sucked in a lot of water. So I don’t know if I bent the distributor shaft or a connecting rod or push rod or what. I am in process of trying a different distributor. Hopefully that makes her fire!! Because I need to get all the wheelin' in I can before July. I have been eyeballing my neighbors 4.0 rusted Explorer if i cant get the 2.9 running. Just waiting for his trans to go out so I can buy it for a 4.0L swap :headbang:

The clamp for the distributor was buried under 237k miles of gunk

Getting there. I cannot get the other distributor to drop into the oil pump

Last edited:

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
The bed on the Superduty has a lot of Cancer now. So i sold it and picked up a used flat bed. I have always like flat bed trucks. TONS of function. I am all about function. I am not into chrome or 22" wheels. So i bought this used bed and threw it on. I cut the bent fold down sides off and have touched up the paint. I have also rewired the whole thing and switched to LED lights. I really like having the bed. However, i do not like the looks of this particular bed. I may have it painted in the spring and sell it for a new Moritz bed.
I still came out $150 on top after doing the swap.

Day 1

With the sides still on it

All lit up on a 1* morning

Currently

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Flat bed's rock, I just picked up a dually with a 7 1/2' x 9' bed and it kicks ass.... nothing like dropping axles on there with the skid steer without having to be careful of paint and boxsides etc.... and mine has a flip up gooseneck ball, FTW!

The 'duty looks good!

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Flat bed's rock, I just picked up a dually with a 7 1/2' x 9' bed and it kicks ass.... nothing like dropping axles on there with the skid steer without having to be careful of paint and boxsides etc.... and mine has a flip up gooseneck ball, FTW!

The 'duty looks good!
Thanks man! Mine is a 7x9 foot. That extra foot is SO nice. I also have a flip goose. :icon_cheers:
I had a skidsteer on the trailer with a rock hound the other day. Then i had 2 buckets and a sod cutter on the bed. So convenient. There are a lot less worries with the flattie. Like you said, its pretty hard to dent it haha

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
I got a used distributor in. She fired!! However, it would only idle at 2200 rpms. So I went to the junk yard today and picked up an IAC valve for $7. She is running good now. Then my battery blew up. Of course... So i will grab a new battery this week then hopefully go wheeling soon.
I also have a squeak on the pass side of the D44. I need to take that apart. The bearings are probably packed with mud.

I have also started to mock up some sliders.
I grabbed 4 of these 48" long tubes out of the Summit Racing clearance section for $5 a piece.

Saw this at the Junk yard. Pretty funny

Last edited:

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Ha looks like Stic-o's first remdition of his badass explorer.

The duty looks great with that bed IMO. Whats the dimension on those tubes from summit?

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Thanks. The bed still needs cosmetic work. But for function, I love it.

Those tubes are not suited for sliders. The ones from Summit are 1-3/4" OD x 0.095" wall. I have some heavier tube that i bought to make the sliders. However, my buddy that had the bender sold it haha. So i have two 24 foot tubes. I was just using these 48" pieces for reference. I might turn these 095" wall sections into doors....

Or possibly an "Oh $hit" handle. My passengers could really use one of those

Last edited:

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
Had a busy week. We went to a few baby stores. Saw some cool car seats and a really cool bunk bed setup. It comes in blue too. Wish i had one of those when i was little haha. This a bit out of our budget though.

Got my daily driver tinted this week. 20% up front, 5% out back

I park my car in front of the Ranger. I turned on my head lights the other day and thought it looked pretty cool.

Worked on the ranger a bit yesterday. Got a new battery in it and mounted up a spot for a flag that some of the parks around here require now. The truck is running pretty good now. Oh, i put a rust free hood on it too that picked up for $10. Not the same color, but i dont care.
Still needs sliders, an oh shit handle, redo the radius arm mount, stiffer rear leafs....

Finally got it out of the garage

New hood

Old hood

Took the pass side apart to clean up the bearings and stuff from the lock out knob failing. Taking the hub and bearings to work to get them steam cleaned.

Not the things you normally see in the truck of an Acura

Took it for a spin around the property. It sure is wet here in NE Ohio

Got a family photo haha

My buddy also picked up a buggy off of Pirate. 98 Explorer 5.0, propane, 3 link d60 ARB front, 4 link 14 bolt ARB rear. Fox air shocks all around. C6. 4:1 tcase. 44" cut TSLs. Its a lot of fun. We spent a few hours crawling around on the farm.

Last edited:

kingreinheimer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
how did you get the coils to fit from the axles to the ranger frame?

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
how did you get the coils to fit from the axles to the ranger frame?
I measured the distance between the coils on the axle. Then i spaced 1978-1979 F150 coil buckets (since I am using the Early Bronco sized coils) off the frame rail using C-channel to match that dimension. I tihnk i spaced each side out about 2.5". I will have to double check. I got 28 feet of c- channel off of craigslist for $10. So that is what i used.
However, first i had to make the frame rails smooth. I believe the drivers side had a stamped section that i filled in with a 1/2" plate.

This truck has been built for under $2600. That includes everything from the frame down. That includes the bumpers, tires and wheels as well. Most of the parts have been purchased used off of TRS, Craigslist and ebay. Or I pulled them off of trucks and Econline vans (my rear) at local junk yards. That being said, if i were to do it again, i would make something similar to these: http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Adjustable-coil-buckets_p_1183.html That would be a bit lighter than my current set up.

kingreinheimer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Manual
wow those would help a hell of a lot, thank you

036speed

02/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
I picked up 5 18 foot long sticks of DOM tubing today for a cage!

Just kidding.... :( I wish it was mine.
This is for my friends 91 SAS GMC. We are goign to build his cage first then do one for me. Since I work in the steel industry, the tube was purchased through my work. He plans on starting the cage in May. I will post pics.

We are both going wheelin' this sunday. Its been a while since my rig has been out.

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont think that will be enough tube, I put about 100-110ft into just a cab cage

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals