• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel tank replacement on a 1989 ford ranger 4x4 supercab

Damon Toth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
My 1989 poly tank is leaking on the front side closest to the transfercase and needs to be replaced, no one makes a replacement tank past 1988 metal ones.
1. will the 1988 metal replacement tank work with the 1989 sending unit/pump and will the tank straps work as well?
2. Or will a newer (1999) 20 gallon poly tank fit in the same location as the original factory tank and will the sending/pump from the 1989 work in the newer tank?
I know that the fuel fill tube / vent is separate for the 1999 and will need to be switched, would this effect the smog test? - I'm in California
Thanks,

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Looks like you are in the same situation I was in with my 99 Tahoe. No tank available. Have you looked at the tank to see what is wrong with it? The plastic tank in my tahoe was leaking around the sending unit/fuel pump hole. They had embedded a steel ring inside the plastic around the hole, and it had rusted and swollen up, warping the o-ring sealing area. I could not repair it. I would investigate what is exactly wrong with yours.

I found a fuel tank for a 2dr tahoe was very common and cheap. But it mounted behind the rear axle instead of along the side. I had to move the spare tire up inside the rear cargo area, cut out the spare tire carrier, make mounts for the new rear gas tank, and extend the fuel lines, emissions line and wiring to the rear. It works well, but was a lot of work.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would suspect the fuel tanks are the same from about '89-94 if that helps any... I know it's hard to find used fuel tanks since all the junkyards pierce the tanks to empty the fuel before they go into the yards... but maybe try craigslist to see if anyone is parting one out? The plastic tanks don't leak very often, if it's just a stress crack you "might" be able to weld it back together with a Harbor Freight $17 plastic welder kit...

Damon Toth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
yes, mine is leaking at the front where the protective cover attaches to the tank insert.
Thanks for the replies.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
88 and older used a different fuel pump setup so they probably wouldn’t work. They had a sender with a low pressure lift pump and a high pressure pump on the fuel rail. Not sure if the tanks really changed 89 to 11, but I do know that my 92 tank had a projection on the side that my 00 tank didn’t even though they had the same size tank. Different tank straps too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals