• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front Axle Swap 88 BII

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
sorry i missed that. lol. i tend to not ready everything, my bad...
but yea you got a nice set up. do the rear first in my opinion. that's what i'm doing. its d35.. you could always check out offroadlockers.com they have aussie's for $230 front and $270 rear.. i think that's the prices. something you may want to look into. i'm gonna run the posi in the rear and lock the front first. the posi is nice if you know how to drive it and want great street manners

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
All this is good, but.....couple things need to be cleared up, the ranger 7.5 and 8.8 (28 spline) axles are the same in strength, they use the same axle shafts, the 8.8 just has a bigger carrier/ring gear, even use the same bearings...All explorer axles are 31 spline, and about half are limited slip. From 91-94 exp axles are drum brake axles, 95-2000 are disc brake. All exp axles are sprung under, needing perches relocated to the top of the axle. If you get new perches and keep the original perches in place, they make good jacking pads...What transfercase do you have, is it electric shift, or manual?? If you have an electric shift, I highly advise grabbing the Tcase out of an exp as you can also grab the front driveshaft and then your 35 swap is bolt in. If you have a manual, while 54 manuals exist they are scarce, this would be what you would want, just make sure you get the shift linkage as well. The difference between the 1350 Tcase you have now and the 1354 case the exp's have, is the front output, the 30 is a slip yoke, where the 54 is a flange, similar to your rear driveshaft at the axle. I understand $$$ are probably tight as everyone is on a budget, but some things to keep in mind when gathering parts for your swap...If your D28 is okay right now, my advice would be to start with getting the Tcase and driveshaft and if you have enough, the rear axle. When you get more or if you have enough, the D35 last. I say the 35 last cause there are so many floating around, the rear 8.8's are more in demand than the 35 and would be a little more challenging to find...
SVT

the 8.8 is much stronger then the 7.5. the 7.5/8.8 28 spline shafts and bearings do ok....but the wormy ass 7.5 case and carriers can be exploded with relative ease comparatively.

it seems from the statement theres no benefit of a 28 spline 8.8 over a 7.5.

thats not true...the 8.8 is definatly an upgrade, not as heavy as a sploder unit but better then the 7.5 for sure.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the 8.8 is much stronger then the 7.5. the 7.5/8.8 28 spline shafts and bearings do ok....but the wormy ass 7.5 case and carriers can be exploded with relative ease comparatively.

thats not true...the 8.8 is definatly an upgrade, not as heavy as a sploder unit but better then the 7.5 for sure.
but... if you're going to the JY to get one, get the 31 spline ex axle and you'll be better off. not like the JY charges more for one than the other.. but the 8.8 of any kind is better than the 7.5 for sure

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the tech library shows it as axle code D2, saw one in our j/y not to long ago. to bad i was broke..
The D2 4.10 axle code applies to the 1995-01 Explorer

Research? there is no FORD reference to those axle ratios being
sold or serviced for US certified vehicles
(there actually is a reference for an export version, but unless you are searching the junkyards of Columbia, Equador or Peru...)

And BTW, who do you think wrote the tech page?

Though I will not accept blame for several of the more annoying errors.

as for the 8.8" axle over the 7.5" the 7.5" is tougher than you'd think...

THE advantage of the Explorer axle is that it has stronger axle shafts, but more
importantly stronger axle tubes.

The disadvantage is the fact that you need to weld spring perches and shock mounts onto it.

Resist the temptation to remove the old spring mounts, buy new they are only ~$25 for a pair.

and the old ones being there act as a guide for installing the new ones.

BTW, I recently saw a Ranger that I thought was kinda slick...

the owner mounted the shocks OUTBOARD of the frame, this let him route is exhause more easily.

The other thing that struck me was that it was a slick way to avoid one of the major interference issues
with installing a Bronco2 tank in the back of a supercab...

AD

AD

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i stand corrected.. maybe the one i saw was put in there aftermarket. idk. regardless, most will go 4.56 (or lower) anyways. i know i will.. as soon as i find my money tree

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic

Agreed, the 8.8 is a better choice all the way around. I'm not exactly a fan of the 7.5, but I was just stating the fact that they share axleshafts and bearings:icon_thumby:
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals