• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Footwear of choice?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I've had that plantar fascist stuff. Not fun. I also have a bone spur under my left heel. I'm due for a new set of custom orthopedic insoles for that problem.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
and my feet cant go bare...they are way too pussified and tender.
Mine too.

...Plantar fasciitis
Couldn't walk for 2 days, and barely moving after 3 days, painfully
Either mine never got that bad, or I just suffered through it when I should have, but Plantar Fasciitis sucks.

I've never been able to find a comfortable work boot. Probably has a lot to do with a terrible and limited selection available around here.

Many years ago (~18ish) when I first started out my job, the rules were a little more relaxed in some ways. Over the ankle work boots were required, but steel toe were not. Back then Wolverine made a Durashock boot that I loved. The soles were soft and they didn't last long, but they fit well, were comfortable, and the job paid for them. Then they changed the rules. We no longer had to have over the ankle, but had to be steel toes. Wolverine made a steel toe version of the boot that was almost as confortable, but the toe box wasn't quite wide enough. Then Wolverine quit making that boot, and it's replacement wasn't near as good IMO. Never found a good work shoe in the years since. Got to where I was breaking the rules and just wearing whatever was comfortable, especially after I developed PF. I kept a pair of steeltoes in locker at work and would wear them if inspectors were coming through, but usually didn't.

Outside work, I guess at work too since I was breaking the rules, I still have a hard time finding comfortable shoes. Or atleast ones that I'm willing to pay for. For a time I was wearing Merrell MOAB hiking shoes and they were comfortable, then they got popular and expensive. I wasn't willing to pay what they wanted out of pocket for something that was going to get worn out quickly walking on concrete. (FWIW, I tried the steel toe version for work and not near as comfortable.) Since then I've found some New Balance and Sketchers that were comfortable, but inevitably they phase them out and the replacements aren;t the same. I still like the feel of most Sketchers initially, but they put the memory foam insoles in everything and it wears out FAST for me. For now I've settled on their go-walk line of shoes, the fit is good and they don't have the memory foam. They also have a pair of leather side zip boots that wear great once they break in. Just started breaking my second pair of those. First pair still wear good, but looking a little rough, so I'll keep them for working in.

Now that I'm riding a desk at work I might give the Merrell's another try. I still hate the price, but since I'm no longer doing miles on concrete per day they might last long enough to be worth it. I will be waiting for them to go on sale though.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

These are what I just purchased. Another co worker of mine swore by these.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

These are what I just purchased. Another co worker of mine swore by these.

i do have some keens just like that. rarely wear them. they are my going out shoes....not allowed to work in them.

mmmm no....mine are a bit different. not that nice.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can tell you. Having this happen to every pair of shoes after 3 months is getting really freaking old

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
This is the last pair of Keens I bought. Retired them from work. Keep wearing them around home, offroading and motorcycle riding for the last year and a half.

20240127_213839.jpg

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I can tell you. Having this happen to every pair of shoes after 3 months is getting really freaking old

those deck shoes do that after starting the yz a few times in the middle.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I wear Ariat composite toe boots for work… in 30 years of working as a mechanic, I’ve never had a pair of boots last more than a year. These are on 2 years and still in good shape.
One of the best things I’ve ever done was buy a boot dryer and put my boots on it everyday when I get home from work. Getting them dry right away keeps them from smelling bad, and seems to help keep them in better shape for longer.

I wear Keen mid rise hiking boots for daily duty. They’re very comfortable and give good support and protection.

Anything else is barefoot and sometimes Nikes.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
The most comfy boots I've had are made by a company called Crispi. They're from Italy and they make hiking and hunting boots. I've put many many miles on them and aside from heel hotspots once in a while they're great. They're kind of expensive though but do seem to last. I used to burn up a pair a year. The sole would always detach near the ball of my foot where it bends. These hung on for two years before I moved, and haven't hunted much since. A Montana company called Schnees was next on my list.

There's a company called Russell Moccasin. They're based out of Wisconsin and will (or at least used to) build bespoke boots. You had to go there and get measured, then they made a last just for you. Super spendy, but lasted a really long time and wear parts were replaceable.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I've been wearing Bates for a few years now. Wolverine recently bought them out. I liked the side zip. They are comfortable and waterproof. But like many have already mentioned Plantar Faciitis reared its ugly head last December. Can't say it is the fault of the boot though anymore than blaming it on the house slippers I wear.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I used to wear 6 inch boots to work. For years I bought Herman Survivors that were made in Massachusetts and I'd wear the sols off them in 6 months. Then they started making them in Taiwan and I had to give up on them after 2 pairs fell apart in no time. I've had plantar fascitis, too. The key seems to be orthotics with arch support inmy shoes. I don't wear sneakers working in my garage. In 1971, my friend and I were getting a cut down VW buggy ready to race at an event on the Champlain islands. It was basically a floor pan with a roll cage, no body. I was welding on the cage and a chunk of slag landed on my sneaker, burned through and got between 2 toes. Leather is heavier and hotter but well worth it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have another vote for Keen.

I think their quality has slipped over the years... but I just bought a new pair before last year's trail ride. I have a wide foot and Keens larger toe box just works well for me.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
62 years old and never owned a pair of ankle high boots. Most days I wear penny loafers, if I wear anything on my feet at all. Barefoot as long as I am home, indoors or out. Sometimes a pair of flip-flops. Sometimes a pair of slip-on "sneakers". Boots? Never!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I used to wear 6 inch boots to work. For years I bought Herman Survivors that were made in Massachusetts and I'd wear the sols off them in 6 months. Then they started making them in Taiwan and I had to give up on them after 2 pairs fell apart in no time. I've had plantar fascitis, too. The key seems to be orthotics with arch support in my shoes. I don't wear sneakers working in my garage. In 1971, my friend and I were getting a cut down VW buggy ready to race at an event on the Champlain islands. It was basically a floor pan with a roll cage, no body. I was welding on the cage and a chunk of slag landed on my sneaker, burned through and got between 2 toes. Leather is heavier and hotter but well worth it.

.....theres pictures of me welding in my bare feet with just goggles on outside in the rain...how to get sunburned when it is raining out....i can instruct to you how to get that done...

i do alot of stupid shit...

i learn alot of things the hard way..... of course....stupid hurts.

but you will get over it....and live.......or die. and still be over it.

i do have some redwings and other boots for these tasks....

but rarely take the time to wear them until i am on fire a few times ;missingteeth;

welding out of position upside down if the rule......putting earplugs in to keep the slag out you will see me do....or blue shop towels twisted into ear plugs or a wrap over my whole fat head.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals